Intel is now making 'Mac versus PC' ads with Justin Long

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    It's disappointing, but I can't really blame Justin. He hasn't been in any hit movies for over a decade. A guy's gotta eat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    Long is desperate for work and Intel is just desperate. This looks sad all around.
    marklarkjeffharriscornchipBeatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Absolutely true: No one really games on a Mac. However the reason has far more to do with Apple's software than its hardware and almost nothing to do with Intel.
    Here is the truth: Apple released a powerful new laptop based on its own Apple Silicon chips instead of Intel and just as many Apple users game on it than they did on previous laptops built using Intel: Almost none.
    The reason gamers play on Windows laptops has everything to do with GPUs made by NVIDIA and AMD as well as open standards that allow anyone to write games for them and anyone to buy them from any company they want like Steam or Epic.
    If Apple really wanted to stick it to Intel, they could license their own Apple Silicon chips to other companies for use in Windows laptops and gaming PCs.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 62
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    apple1991 said:
    most of the target audience of apple's stuff still remembers justin long and the apple commercials
    That is the question.  Who is the target audience?  It’s not going to convince anyone in the Apple ecosphere, entertaining though it may be.  Are PC buyers going to care?  The last thing Intel should be doing is drawing attention to the M1, which is what this ad does.  It only elevates the status of the M1.  Intel would be better off going about their business as if the M1 didn’t exist or, even if it does, pretending that it’s entirely unimportant and of no consequence to the PC world.
    edited March 2021 muthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 62
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member

Then Arcade has also helped the gaming.  
    I hope that was meant as sarcasm... Apple Arcade has largely been a joke thus far.  Lots of horrible Indie titles that nobody cares about.  Probably the closest it gets to an A list game is Oceanhorn 2.  Apple doesn't get gaming and they never have.  One can only hope that rumors of Apple taking this serious and commissioning some real games will come true.  Until then, Apple just isn't a great platform for gaming.  In that respect, this ad from Intel was effective as it hits home for many Apple users. 

On the other hand, Intel recognizing Apple as their main competition now is definitely a sign of weakness and a tacit admission that Intel is now the underdog in this competition. 
    entropysroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 62
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    blastdoor said:
    So intel is scared and they are telling apple how to make them more scared — get serious about gaming on the Mac.
    I was thinking the same thing. If these ads resonate enough to be noticed, they will have succeeded in waking the sleeping bear and showing him where to find the picnic basket 
    roundaboutnowBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 62
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Intel feeling panic and desperation against Apple M's rising tide against it's processor dominance. Intel, let it go as Apple is free spirit with Steve Jobs DNA. Anti-apple Adv won't make a dent to Apple's processor success, but instead put tech efforts against your rising competitor AMD.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Intel:"hold the line! hold or die!!"
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 62
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    No problem with an actor getting some work. Good for him. To be honest, Intel would be better served trying to pit their NUCs against the huge pile of competing Intel PCs. 

Once you’ve bought a Mac and if you’re not a system builder the whole PC buying experience seems like pure torture. It’s an exercise in trying to figure out how to get exactly what you want without sifting through all the cruft, bloatware, or under spec junk. Sorry Dell, No PC with a 768p monitor is a good deal at any price, and you know where you can stick your preinstalled McAfee crapware. The Intel NUC buying experience is actually tolerable, nothing like a Mac, but ok, just get what you need and skip the junk. 

No sane person is going to get out of a Best Buy or Micro Center with a PC thinking that they got exactly what they needed and at a quality level they feel good about. 
    edited March 2021 jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 62
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    darkvader said:
    I mean, the gaming ad isn't wrong.

I rarely play games.  When I do, I play games that used to run on Mac.
    Also, Mac isn't, and never has been, a very good gaming platform.  For various reasons, there is a FAR greater selection of games for Windows than there are for Mac, and not just because older games still run.  PC-laptop-gamer guy is right - no one really games on a Mac.  Or at least, no one buys a Mac for gaming as a primary purpose.  But at least gaming wasn't a show-stopper on Intel Macs because you could dual-boot Windows.

BTW, for your gaming use case, you might check out GOG.com and DOSBox, if you're not already familiar with them.  GOG has lots of great, older games at fair prices, many of which use DOSBox to run DOS games on any platform - even Linux.  So between SheepShaver and DOSBox, there is a very large selection of older games from the 80's to mid-to-late 90's that can be run on any of the big-three platforms, especially if you have your own media you can image and run on them.

darkvader said:
    (I don't get the gamer on a laptop thing, though.  If you're at a desk, why would you want a tiny screen on an underpowered, likely thermally throttled box?  Desktop computers exist for a reason.)
    Students, probably gaming's primary cohort, generally require a laptop and often can't afford multiple, single-purpose computers.  Otherwise, yeah, desktop is for gaming, laptop (possibly with a dock, etc.) for everything else.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    Intel is huge tax base here in Oregon.  They have fallen way behind the last 10 years and they have now been successfully displaced.  I know 2 Intel engineers and they told me years ago there was no way to get around the CPU bottleneck.  Well, that’s why Intel failed is because they were working with engineers like my friends.  
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 62
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    What's fucked up here is for the time being, Apple is still an Intel customer and Apple is still buying chips from them. 
    Beatscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 62
    iadlibiadlib Posts: 96member
    Apple needs to step up its design game. 
  • Reply 34 of 62
    techconc said:

Then Arcade has also helped the gaming.  
    I hope that was meant as sarcasm... Apple Arcade has largely been a joke thus far.  Lots of horrible Indie titles that nobody cares about.  Probably the closest it gets to an A list game is Oceanhorn 2.  Apple doesn't get gaming and they never have.  One can only hope that rumors of Apple taking this serious and commissioning some real games will come true.  Until then, Apple just isn't a great platform for gaming.  In that respect, this ad from Intel was effective as it hits home for many Apple users. 

On the other hand, Intel recognizing Apple as their main competition now is definitely a sign of weakness and a tacit admission that Intel is now the underdog in this competition. 
    To base something on A list games is short sided. A list games are not the only games out there. I would say the vast majority of games are not A list games. I'm not sure A list games are worth the massive investments needed to produce them. I've spent many hours on the games within Apple Arcade and more games keep getting added. 
    Rayz2016robabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 62
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    To base something on A list games is short sided. A list games are not the only games out there. I would say the vast majority of games are not A list games. I'm not sure A list games are worth the massive investments needed to produce them. I've spent many hours on the games within Apple Arcade and more games keep getting added. 

Actually, a few A list, halo games are exactly what is needed. See Microsoft “theft” of Halo (actually called halo!) from Mac, which was the game that made the original  Xbox.  
    Until there are some must play games on Arcade...snore. Arcade is just one step away from closure.
    techconcmaltz
  • Reply 36 of 62
    entropys said:

Actually, a few A list, halo games are exactly what is needed. See Microsoft “theft” of Halo (actually called halo!) from Mac, which was the game that made the original  Xbox.  
    Until there are some must play games on Arcade...snore. Arcade is just one step away from closure.
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be A list games. I'm saying the world doesn't revolve around A list games. A list games require too many resources to develop for many developers. It is an elitist view to base everything around A list games. There is a poster that says Mac gaming is dead because their 16 and 32 bit games no longer work on the Mac. I'm pretty sure A list games are no longer 16 or 32 bit. I'm pretty sure most games are casual, not A list. Apple Arcade isn't going to close because a lack of A list games and being Apple Arcade is part of a services bundle. 
    Rayz2016robabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 62
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    entropys said:
    Agreed.

Fidonet127 said:
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be A list games. I'm saying the world doesn't revolve around A list games. A list games require too many resources to develop for many developers. It is an elitist view to base everything around A list games. There is a poster that says Mac gaming is dead because their 16 and 32 bit games no longer work on the Mac. I'm pretty sure A list games are no longer 16 or 32 bit. I'm pretty sure most games are casual, not A list. Apple Arcade isn't going to close because a lack of A list games and being Apple Arcade is part of a services bundle. 
    They don't ALL need to be A list games, but you certainly need more of them to serve as the anchor for the service.  It's fine to have some smaller Indie games to fill the gaps, but without the A list games, it's a snore fest and ignored by the gaming community.  Yes, there is a place for casual gaming, but that's not going to attract people to the platform or ecosystem.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    More amusingly: most people speccing out a modern gaming PC would put in an AMD Ryzen…
    JWSCmazda 3sjony0
  • Reply 39 of 62
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    Sorry for being ignorant, but what's this thing about multi monitor support?
  • Reply 40 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,569member
    IreneW said:
    Sorry for being ignorant, but what's this thing about multi monitor support?
    The first iteration of the M-series chip with the M1 in 3 entry-level Macs only support 2 4K monitors. Intel (and those that hate Apple) are saying that Apple sucks big donkey balls because of you can't have more than the 2monitors (not including Sidecar and including the MacBook Air's display) despite the aforementioned info about it being entry-level and just being released.

The M2 or M1X for the MBP will likely support more and eventually they will support more high-resolution displays, which will eventually be met by those same people with, "yeah, but so what. Most people only use the one or maybe two displays. That's just pointless overkill." We've seen this time and time again over the decades.
    edited March 2021 Rayz2016cornchipwatto_cobra