Anthony Boyle joins cast of 'Band of Brothers' sequel on Apple TV+

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV has added Anthony Boyle to co-star in the upcoming mini-series "Masters of the Air," a sequel to HBO's award-winning "Band of Brothers."

Boyle will play Major Crosby in the upcoming Apple TV+ series
Boyle will play Major Crosby in the upcoming Apple TV+ series "Masters of the Air"

Boyle will reportedly play the lead role of Major Crosby. The actor previously appeared in HBO's "Plot Against America," the biopic "Tolkien," and the Apple TV+ series "Tetris."

Based on Donald L. Miller's nonfiction title "Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany", the limited-run series will follow the true story of the young men who flew the bombers that helped bring Nazi Germany to its knees.

The upcoming series will also star Austin Butler and Callum Turner. Butler, who recently appeared in Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," will play Major Gale Cleven. Turner, who starred in "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald," will fill the role of Major John Egan.

Austin Butler and Callum Turner are also slated to star in the series
Austin Butler and Callum Turner are also slated to star in the series

Apple Studios is producing the series, with Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and Gary Goetzman serving as executive producers.

The series will be the latest in a line of WWII miniseries that also includes "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific." Both Emmy-winning series were made for HBO. "Masters of the Air" was initially in development for HBO but later moved to Apple.

The series will reportedly span 10 episodes and cost more than $200 million to produce.

"Masters of the Air" marks the second show Apple has produced with Spielberg, the first being the episodic anthology "Amazing Stories" that released in March of 2020.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Fantastic. Really looking forward to this.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member
    Spielberg cast West Belfast native Martin McCann for the Pacific - great talent pool in the north of Ireland that he’s tapping into.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Band of Brothers was soooooo good -- definitely looking forward to this. I liked The Pacific too, but it wasn't quite as spectacular and engaging as BoB.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    Indeed, I am as well!

I still don't understand why it keeps getting referred to as a sequel. Different author, different people (aside from your major historical figures - I'm glaring at you Hitler), set at the same time…

• Reply 5 of 7
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Band of Brothers was based upon a real unit. If I recall correctly The Pacific was not.

The air war in Europe is truly a heroic subject that offers a lot of potential if done as well as Band of Brothers was. What cannot be included were the interview clips of the real people involved on Band of Brothers as the World War II generation is pretty much all gone. My father and plenty of uncles and a few aunts were World War II vets and all are gone now.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    mknelson said:
    Indeed, I am as well!

I still don't understand why it keeps getting referred to as a sequel. Different author, different people (aside from your major historical figures - I'm glaring at you Hitler), set at the same time…

I think they mean the series is a sequel to the other series, not the source material. Lots of movies and games have sequel produced by different crews. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Big fan of Band Of Brothers and watch at least twice a year.  Never gets old.  Dialogue, actors and action are 5 stars.  I also have The Pacific but it is a big disappointment.  About a third of it is about background stories of the main characters and flashbacks just before main battle take place.  It was a slow view because if this and dulls the overall war drama miniseries.  

I hope the producers learn from The Pacific experience and keep it in the present and in the war zone with Masters of the Air.
    edited March 2021