Intel continues 'go PC' campaign with specious Apple Silicon comparison website

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Replace Vista with Intel's manufacturing in the following video:

It's what all these type of companies do. They know they can't easily fix their problems; if they could, they probably wouldn't have the problems to begin with. So they spend their budget trying to convince people they don't have problems.

Apple isn't your problem Intel, it's your GPUs, roadmap and being on 7nm until 2024:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14312/intel-process-technology-roadmap-refined-nodes-specialized-technologies

Blackberry did this 6 years after the iPhone when their marketshare was next to nothing:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/mar/22/blackberry-boss-attacks-apple-iphone

"The head of BlackBerry has attacked Apple's iPhone as "outdated" as he launched the company's new full touchscreen phone in the US." #agedlikemilk

Intel produces a replaceable component, one that can be made better and cheaper elsewhere. The only thing keeping them relevant is Microsoft. Once Windows for ARM gets x64 compatibility later this year, PC manufacturers and mobile device manufacturers can build cheaper and faster products without losing much software compatibility. Intel has the means to fix their problems just now and it doesn't involve allocating their budget to advertising. Apple has let their competitors in on their secret to success many times over the years and it's really simple. Just do a better job. Build better products, build better user experiences.
    muthuk_vanalingamEsquireCatssuperklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    Intel is teaching a masters class in whataboutism.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Another big weakness, apparent to gamers and creatives, is the ongoing problem with GPU unavailability — cryptocurrency miners buy GPUs in volume at prices only they can afford. You’ve got gamers/creatives using three-year old GPUs because they can’t afford to upgrade when they do find them. These people aren’t happy, and these Intel ads just rub salt in the wound.

If Apple is able, with Metal and its own powerful GPU architectures, to accomplish what Intel has always dreamed of — breaking NVIDIA’s stranglehold — creatives will lead the way and game developers will follow. It’s a ways off, I imagine, and NVIDIA isn’t standing still like Intel, but Apple is laying the foundation. 
    Fidonet127superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Perhaps they should hire a good ad agency to work on their “intel inside” ads. Complete garbage. They make no sense and I can’t even tell who they’re targeting. 
    superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Intel got me on the wrong foot a long time ago when they were caught with their pants on their legs - the infamous compilergate. Their graphics solutions have been less than stellar and that's me being superpolite. Apple are just off the blocks in a marathon or shall we say a ultra race. Intel went off the block a long time ago, but they have lead in their shoes, in their belly and on their shoulders and they are using glue to reduce friction.

No wonder they are full of fear.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 26 of 30
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    So it would be funny if Apple got the PC guy to do some commercials that kind of tout the actual spec of the new M1 processors "hmmmmm I see Mac has gotten faster in this task and oh and it outperforms Intel in this task too" but Apple is not petty so I know they never would but it would be a fun jab.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    chandrachandra Posts: 26member
    Intel’s corporate brain is going senile. Dusting off an ad concept that worked years ago in a different tech universe shows inability to “Think Different.”
    superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This is quite honestly one of the most cynical, disingenuous, and pathetic ad campaigns I've seen in my life. It's just...sad. I love how they hand-pick "PCs" to make their comparisons, from the thousands of models available, and seemingly take credit for those specific features (like a screen on the keyboard) while pretending thats some kind of generic PC laptop, while in reality its a single poor-selling model that few people would actually want. 

Anyway, this is the only time when Mx chips will be even in the same universe as intel chips. M2 chips will blow the gap so wide open, that no amount of engineering specific benchmarks can save intel. 
    superklotonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Well, Intel is correct when they say that an (Intel) PC provides more options and flexibility.   But, that is due to the OS rather than the CPU.  But, even then, those options and flexibility come at a cost.

And, it is correct to say that most people won't be able to tell whether their, laptop sports an M1 or an Intel processor -- mostly because processor power has already surpassed the needs of most users.  My grandson's school handed out brand new 2-in-1's to their students -- powered by Intel Celeron processors -- which I thought had been discontinued a decade ago!

The two will likely remain roughly equal for most people and most tasks until Apple takes full advantage of that processor and integrates it and the devices it drives fully into Apple's iOS dominant ecosystem.  Then the true value of that processor will be realized.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Like everything Intel does lately, this marketing campaign is a disaster. Let's talk about the marketing campaign that Intel should have run:
    Gaming PCs and laptops. They are everything a Mac is not: They have powerful GPUs, many times faster than anything you will find in Macs. They have RGB lighting which is cool and fun and very different from anything you will see in an Apple product. You can build them yourself with any components you choose. You can swap out components later should you feel the need to upgrade. You can run any software you want on them. You have the right to repair them yourself or at any convenient, affordable, nearby repair shop. There are a wide array of choices of prebuilt systems. Pc laptops run from very thin and light to luggable tanks with desktop performance. You can earn money by mining crypto currency when your systems are idle (which is still difficult to do on a Mac).
    Of course none of this explains why you should use an Intel CPU rather than an AMD or an ARM.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacsuperkloton