Apple 'AirTags' slightly larger than US half-dollar coin, says leaker

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
The dimensions of Apple's forthcoming "AirTags" have purportedly been revealed, along with details concerning how they will work.

Render of
Render of "AirTags"

Alongside a series of claims about the next iPhone, a new video report includes what it purports are new details of Apple's "AirTags."

The video claims that Apple's "AirTags" are 32mm in diameter and 6mm thick, quoting Twitter user Max Weinbach. Also claimed again is that the devices will leverage Apple's Find My network to send the UUID to Apple servers for location -- and nothing else user-identifying.

For comparison, an American quarter coin is about 19 millimeters wide. A half-dollar coin is about 30.5 millimeters.

If correct, these dimensions put the "AirTags" in line with one of Tile's trackers, the Tile Mate. The Tile Mate is 35mm square, and 6.2mm thick. The Tile Pro tracker is 42mm square and 6.5mm thick.

"My guess is there's just a BLE beacon broadcasting that at any given moment that the iPhones pick up on," it continues. "Tags can also pick up information on other nearby tags, so it can kinda hop off one another. So when tags come in contact with other tags, they'll pass that data along."

The descriptions fit expectations of how the Tile-like "AirTags" will work, and their overall design.

"AirTags" have been expected to be released at each Apple event of the last year or so. Currently, the most recent rumors predict them being announced at an event in April 2021.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Would it make sense to expect this tech to be included in AirPod cases in the future?
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    My Card is ready to buy a load of them.  I have a recurring dream we lose all our luggage, camera gear, and Apple stuff returning from a cruise and it's driving me nuts.  We already have Tiles but they are next to useless.
    edited March 2021 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 36
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    MacPro said:
    My Card is ready to buy a load of them.  I have a recurring dream we lose all our luggage, camera gear, and Apple stuff returning from a cruise and it's driving me nuts.  We already have Tiles but they are next to useless.
    I also want them for this reason: to leave in a suitcase that I check so I can see where it is.

”Currently, the most recent rumors predict them being announced at an event in April 2021.”  
    Or February 2021. Or March 2021. Or some time. 

And from the video: The Airtags will be 32 by 32 by 6 mm.  Uh, what? They’re round! 
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    Can't wait 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wallet open and ready.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 36
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    fred1 said:
    MacPro said:
    I also want them for this reason: to leave in a suitcase that I check so I can see where it is.

”Currently, the most recent rumors predict them being announced at an event in April 2021.”  
    Or February 2021. Or March 2021. Or some time. 

And from the video: The Airtags will be 32 by 32 by 6 mm.  Uh, what? They’re round! 
    A circle with with a diameter of 32mm would 32mm x 32mm on x and y axes, respectively.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    bluefire1 said:
    Wallet open and ready.

To both pay for and to keep an AirTag inside, I'm assuming.
    MacProRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    I will keep my tiles for a while....
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    As an abuse survivor I know exactly what these will be used for.  These innocent airbags and other tracking devices will be used by sociopaths to find exactly where their victim is.  Apple 🍎 should get ready for the negative publicity and the fact that these devices will be used to not only find your car but also the most tragic things you can think of.  These are the opposite of privacy and Apple is making a horrible mistake in releasing these.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Fred257 said:
    As an abuse survivor I know exactly what these will be used for.  These innocent airbags and other tracking devices will be used by sociopaths to find exactly where their victim is.  Apple 🍎 should get ready for the negative publicity and the fact that these devices will be used to not only find your car but also the most tragic things you can think of.  These are the opposite of privacy and Apple is making a horrible mistake in releasing these.
    As an "abuse survivor" then you know this technology already exists,  has has existed for a very long time, and like all technologies has far reaching benefits that far outweigh some potential negatives over ways they can be abused.

If you disagree then you really should just get off the internet all together because that is used in nefarious ways every moment of every day and will be for the rest of lives.
    buttesilverMacProamarkapfastasleepking editor the gratecitylightsapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Hope everything in the iPhone 13 report is true!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    Fred257 said:
    Then why didn't you comment on this thread:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/220455/apple-brings-back-airtags-anti-stalking-feature-in-latest-ios-14-5-beta/p1

That thread debates how Apple is addressing the issue of stalking with Airtags.

entropyshmlongcoRayz2016king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Xed said:
    Fred257 said:
    As an "abuse survivor" then you know this technology already exists,  has has existed for a very long time, and like all technologies has far reaching benefits that far outweigh some potential negatives over ways they can be abused.

If you disagree then you really should just get off the internet all together because that is used in nefarious ways every moment of every day and will be for the rest of lives.

i see.  It seems as though you are fine with this.  I should just listen to you and “Get off the internet all together”.  Thanks for further gaslighting me.  

beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Fred257 said:

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/220455/apple-brings-back-airtags-anti-stalking-feature-in-latest-ios-14-5-beta/p1

“Why didn’t you comment on this thread”. Further abuse from you by blaming me for something I didn’t know about.  Cheers

beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 15 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Fred257 said:
    Fred257 said:

“Why didn’t you comment on this thread”. Further abuse from you by blaming me for something I didn’t know about.  Cheers

Dude, learn how to use the reply correctly.
    Japhey
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Fred257 said:
    Fred257 said:
    As an abuse survivor I know exactly what these will be used for.  These innocent airbags and other tracking devices will be used by sociopaths to find exactly where their victim is.  Apple ߍhould get ready for the negative publicity and the fact that these devices will be used to not only find your car but also the most tragic things you can think of.  These are the opposite of privacy and Apple is making a horrible mistake in releasing these.

"Further abuse from me"? Have I ever talked to you before? I'm one of the most polite people on these forums. I provided a highly helpful response to your comment. Read the technical discussion and if you don't understand it then I will help you understand.

You are getting "abuse" confused with "an argument". Here's a video to help you understand the difference:

edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Fred257 said:
    Xed said:
    Fred257 said:

i see.  It seems as though you are fine with this.  I should just listen to you and “Get off the internet all together”.  Thanks for further gaslighting me.  
    Fred257 said:
    Fred257 said:

I'm sorry you were abused, but playing the victim to everyone who replies to you isn't going to endear you to anyone.  If anything it'll make people doubt your honesty.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 36
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    At that size I might not need the tracking features to find my car keys. That’s nearly one and half inches in diameter, and close enough to a quarter inch thick.
    At the price it will be very focussed on specific applications. And there might be a few people haven’t thought of.  Moggy app tracking to find out how many bird nests little princess raids when let out at night, for example.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 36
    entropys said:
    That’s nearly one and half inches in diameter, and close enough to a quarter inch thick.
    A half dollar (US) is 1.205 inches in diameter and 0.085 inches thick, not 0.25 inches thick or 1.5 inches in diameter. Your thickness claim was triple the actual value.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    I haven’t seen a US half dollar coin in years so I had to look it up. Didn’t know they were still in circulation. Ok. 
    watto_cobra