Tim Cook to talk Facebook, 'Tim Apple,' more in interview airing Monday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Peza said:
    Whilst I think personally that Zuckerberg would quite literally sell your soul for profit if he could get it, I think Apple is just about THE most hypocritical company on the planet when it comes to criticising them over ‘privacy’. 
    They publicly criticised Google and Amazon for listening to recordings captured from their devices to improve their AI services, of which Amazon I know warned you off, only for it to be leaked Apple had been doing the EXACT same thing without telling anyone, with Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge. 
    They also had such weak security that simple hacking methods gained easy access to people’s personal photos.

And I’m sure there are other examples, I am in no way going to defend Facebooks privacy policies, but Apple seriously needs to get of this privacy elite trip, because it’s frankly embarrassing to see them falsely portray themselves as the saviours of privacy when they have guilt all over their hands of treating it with disrespect themselves.

Oh and let’s not forget they fully support, for profit, endless free apps that mine data from their users on a daily basis, that’s then all sold on for profit. This interview is as true today as it was when written:

http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-own-you-confessions-of-a-free-to-play-producer/

I highly recommend ‘Tim Cook’ stops with the virtue signalling and hypocrisy, and gets back to his day job and making new devices, such as launching those new iMac designs, it would be nice to refresh a design that’s 10 plus years old and is incredibly stale... which is what Apples privacy virtue signalling is fast becoming...
    I think you really don't know what you're talking about outside of monitoring speech for accuracy - which all players in voice recognition have to do.

Apple now at least allows you to opt out of the voice QA pipeline.

"Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge" is seriously disingenuous - unless you were stupid you knew that Siri hears everything you say. Otherwise, how could it tell when you say "Hey Siri"? At least Apple keeps that device local until the command leading phrase is spoken.

Why don't you post a link to Apple being critical of the practice and what they were critical about - not that crazy link you posted about a game developer who tracked user information. Not sure what that was supposed to be about or what that was supposed to prove.

Of all the tech giants, Apple is more cognizant of your right to privacy than all the others because to them you're a customer, not a commodity to be peddled.

Suspect the business model of all companies who offer free services - you really need to know how they make a buck.
    watto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 22 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Peza said:
    Whilst I think personally that Zuckerberg would quite literally sell your soul for profit if he could get it, I think Apple is just about THE most hypocritical company on the planet when it comes to criticising them over ‘privacy’. 
    They publicly criticised Google and Amazon for listening to recordings captured from their devices to improve their AI services, of which Amazon I know warned you off, only for it to be leaked Apple had been doing the EXACT same thing without telling anyone, with Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge. 
    They also had such weak security that simple hacking methods gained easy access to people’s personal photos.

And I’m sure there are other examples, I am in no way going to defend Facebooks privacy policies, but Apple seriously needs to get of this privacy elite trip, because it’s frankly embarrassing to see them falsely portray themselves as the saviours of privacy when they have guilt all over their hands of treating it with disrespect themselves.

Oh and let’s not forget they fully support, for profit, endless free apps that mine data from their users on a daily basis, that’s then all sold on for profit. This interview is as true today as it was when written:

http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-own-you-confessions-of-a-free-to-play-producer/

I highly recommend ‘Tim Cook’ stops with the virtue signalling and hypocrisy, and gets back to his day job and making new devices, such as launching those new iMac designs, it would be nice to refresh a design that’s 10 plus years old and is incredibly stale... which is what Apples privacy virtue signalling is fast becoming...
    There's so much misinformation in your post.  Seeing your responses when being called out on them goes to show that you're more interested in pushing a false narrative and agenda.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Peza said:

'Tim Cook' (what's with the quotes?) doesn't make new devices and doing interviews doesn't prevent iMac launches. He certainly doesn't need your recommendations.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    sflocal said:
    Peza said:

There's so much misinformation in your post.  Seeing your responses when being called out on them goes to show that you're more interested in pushing a false narrative and agenda.
    Is that the best counter argument you could come up with? I provide valid links to valid reports, and you only insight your personal opinion as though it's some sort of fact. If you claim someone is mis-informed you'd do well to point out why with proof, and not something you type on a forum either.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Peza said:

I think you really don't know what you're talking about outside of monitoring speech for accuracy - which all players in voice recognition have to do.

Apple now at least allows you to opt out of the voice QA pipeline.

"Siri hearing everything you say without your knowledge" is seriously disingenuous - unless you were stupid you knew that Siri hears everything you say. Otherwise, how could it tell when you say "Hey Siri"? At least Apple keeps that device local until the command leading phrase is spoken.

Why don't you post a link to Apple being critical of the practice and what they were critical about - not that crazy link you posted about a game developer who tracked user information. Not sure what that was supposed to be about or what that was supposed to prove.

Of all the tech giants, Apple is more cognizant of your right to privacy than all the others because to them you're a customer, not a commodity to be peddled.

Suspect the business model of all companies who offer free services - you really need to know how they make a buck.
    Perhaps you didn't understand my post then. The games developer was interviewed by Touch Arcade, a sight ran by Arn who owns and runs Mac Rumors, a synonymous fan website. It was to show the hypocrisy of Apple again, a point you seemed to have not seen, Apple portrays and champions its security and privacy, yet allows endless apps, which they make money from, to harvest your data and freely sell it on. That was what the article was about if you bothered to read it. And the practice still goes in today.

You've also made an apology for Apple here, claiming rather disingenuously people are 'stupid' if they didn't know Siri was recording everything it hears, even the times it's recording with you you activating it to your knowledge. Which happens regularly. I've had Siri activate itself multiple times when I never asked it to, I turned it off in the end as a result. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Im fully aware of how companies make money, it's not a big secret. Or rocket science, or some dark deep crime. Amazon wants you to buy their services, Google wants to advertise to you, Facebook mines and sells your data. It's been known for years.
    But none of those companies run advertising campaigns about security and privacy and regularly hold public speeches and talks about these subjects. 
    Apple does despite as I linked to, not informing you about third parties listening to everything your Apple devices has recorded at a particular moment. 
    Apple is selling you the appearance and idea of security and privacy, that's more worrying as a company that feels the need to do so, without actually advising you in its EUA, what they actually do, is incredibly hypocritical and comes across as damage control.

As for your request for a link, here you go from a speech Cook held in 2018 at some conference, he heavily criticised AI that 'didn't respect privacy', I suggest reading more then the first paragraph:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-tim-cook-dangers-profound-if-ai-exploits-data-2018-10

Or from 2015 when Apple proclaimed they don't want to know your personal data, it stays on the iPhone, hmm they don't mention any personally identifiable information recorded by their devices and sent to a third party to listen to:
    http://www.wired.com/2015/06/apples-latest-selling-point-little-knows/?intcid=inline_amp&_gl=1*1ixavl6*_ga*YW1wLWJ2WnhZZ2psMFI2U1JVakxKMl9kODhEemJpS0tocnRNcDVhZV84MmFNRDFUQnEzWklYTHpCTGZlNy1nQW5NeUc.

Here's another speech, I don't believe the article is reporting the same as linked above? But could be, where Cook doesn't name companies directly but the general consensus seems to be that he is directing his speech towards his competitors Google, Amazon, Facebook etc. Floating how AI collecting user data is dangerous:

http://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/24/18017842/tim-cook-data-privacy-laws-us-speech-brussels

It was in 2019 when Apple was caught sending recordings to a third party to be listened to, the hypocrisy of Apple is both dangerous and concerning, they are selling you on security and privacy whilst enacting themselves the very thing they stand up and proudly criticise doing. Only Apple does not inform you they are doing so.
    No I've no doubt you'll come back with a reply claiming I don't know what I'm talking about, provide no evidence for this or outside sources, and proclaim Apple is more secure then Fort Knox. Well that's your prerogative of course, and only proves how Apples mind games are working.
    Apple may have seemingly got some aspects of security right, but as proven they do not always tell you what they DO actually do with your data, whilst criticising others. It erodes the image of that privacy and security they seem so desperately try to instil in your mind.

I only hope Apple learns from their mistakes and hypocrisy, that's all anyone can hope for. But it does now have a track record of keeping information from its customers on a number of things. At the expense of the customer.

Security and privacy is not just the excellent unlocking biometrics of Apples devices, it goes far beyond that.
    edited April 2021