Microsoft buys Siri speech recognition partner Nuance in $19.7B deal

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Microsoft has acquired speech recognition systems company Nuance in an all-cash deal valued at $19.7 billion, giving it control over the firm that helped Apple process Siri queries.

Following initial reports over the weekend that talks were underway, Microsoft revealed on Monday that it had in fact reached a deal with Nuance. The deal, which will be for $56 per share, represents a 23% premium on Nuance's closing price from Friday.

While the deal was speculated to give Nuance a valuation in the region of $16 billion, the actual all-cash transaction will be valued at $19.7 billion according to Microsoft, taking into account Nuance's net debt. Existing Nuance CEO Mark Benjamin will stay in his role, and will report to Microsoft's Scott Guthrie, executive vice president of Cloud & AI.

The transaction is expected to close before the end of 2021, pending any regulatory or shareholder clearances. Once completed, it will be Microsoft's second-largest acquisition, following its 2016 purchase of LinkedIn for $24 billion.

Microsoft is still working on other acquisitions, and is believed to be in talks to buy game-centric communications platform Discord. That acquisition is rumored to be valued in excess of $10 billion.

Nuance is best known for its voice recognition systems, which allow computers to interpret speech into text for later processing. The company's technology was a fundamental component of Apple's digital assistant Siri, which Nuance confirmed in 2013, though it is unclear how the relationship between the companies fares years later.

Microsoft's interest in Nuance is framed by the companies as a health-centric one, including Nuance's experience as a "provider of conversational AI and cloud-based ambient clinical intelligence for healthcare providers." This includes working with electronic health records and operating many of its services using Microsoft Azure.

It is claimed that Nuance is being used by more than 55% of physicians and 75% of radiologists in the United States, and 77% of U.S. hospitals.

Microsoft claims it will augment its Cloud for Healthcare offering with Nuance's products to "empower healthcare providers through the power of ambient clinical intelligence and other Microsoft cloud services."

Away from healthcare, Nuance's technology may be incorporated into Microsoft's Azure, Teams, and Dynamics 365 platforms.

"Nuance provides the AI layer at the healthcare point of delivery and is a pioneer in the real-world application of enterprise AI," said Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft. "AI is technology's most important priority, and healthcare is its most urgent application. Together, with our partner ecosystem, we will put advanced AI solutions into the hands of professionals everywhere to drive better decision-making and create more meaningful connections."

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    While this is interesting from an Apple standpoint, the deal really isn’t about Apple.  Two thirds of Nuance’s revenue comes from health care applications of its speech and supporting AI software. This is really about Microsoft expanding into the healthcare space and perhaps using Nuance’s AI software more broadly in other applications.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member

though it is unclear how the relationship between the companies fares years later.

I don’t get it. So we’re unsure if Apple and Nuance currently have any kind of ongoing developmental relationship?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    What was Cortona lacking that Microsoft needed Nuance? Seems like a complete waste of money.
    edited April 2021 coolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    Finally, there is a really chance now for Siri to get better ;-) 
    OnPartyBusiness
  • Reply 5 of 19
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    Re: Querty52

The issue with Siri has never been the actual speech recognition part of the story, but lack of contextual intelligence. Does your comment imply that you expect Microsoft to accomplish more with Nuance’s technology than Apple managed?
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Being a pretty healthy individual—even at the "advanced" age of 71—I have, happily, not had many AI-based interactions in the healthcare space—at least, not that I know of.

Though I've been pretty happy with Siri and most of "her" assistance so far, she definitely has her limitations.

But, just yesterday, when trying to chat on Apple's site, having a question about a product return, I bumped into its AI which was, in my case, pretty stupid. It kept giving automated responses I didn't want. Only after I typed in frustration, "Go away. Give me a live person!" did it comply!

I can see AI's potential value in gathering and collating data in an assistive sense. But AI is only capable of looking into the past, however granularly, and it will NEVER be able to actually PREDICT the future or come up with original ideas. That's the realm of live beings, only!

AI systems may be quite useful, but only if given tasks they're properly suited for.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Doesn’t endear me to Microsoft. I was away from computers for almost a decade and have recently had to work with PC’s at my new job. Same ol,’ same ol’—developed by engineers for engineers. Slightly more user-friendly, but still unbearably inefficient for getting my job done.
    williamlondonBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    cornchip said:

though it is unclear how the relationship between the companies fares years later.

I don’t get it. So we’re unsure if Apple and Nuance currently have any kind of ongoing developmental relationship?

The use of “unclear” so often in these write ups drives me nuts, when “unclear” clearly means “unknown”
    and the person writing actually has no clue. It’s not unclear, it’s unknown. 
    tokyojimuhcrefugeewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    hucom2000 said:

The issue with Siri has never been the actual speech recognition part of the story, but lack of contextual intelligence. Does your comment imply that you expect Microsoft to accomplish more with Nuance’s technology than Apple managed?
    Disagree. Apple's speech recognition is pretty poor compared to Google's.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Just because a product is widely used does not mean it is widely loved.

Dragon Dictate has never really been that well integrated on the Mac, is a little better on Windows and has largely been forced upon Physicians by hospitals and practice groups looking to be rid of transcriptionists.

• Reply 11 of 19
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    6502 said:
    hucom2000 said:

Disagree. Apple's speech recognition is pretty poor compared to Google's.

Disagree. I rarely have an issue with Siri and I use it all the time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I do believe there were rumors that Apple dropped Nuance years ago and switched to their own speech recognizer and synthesizer. Also, a lot of these stories have it wrong... Nuance is not behind Siri's AI, it was only used for speech recognition. Siri's AI technology spun out of a project at SRI International.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Anyone have any idea what this means?  

ambient clinical intelligence for healthcare providers.”

What is “ambient clinical intelligence?”   

I work for a healthcare tech provider and am trying to understand that MS is saying.  
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 19
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    Hmm at that price I expect the deal and IP will be more geared towards professional applications, not consumer ones.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    qwerty52 said:
    Finally, there is a really chance now for Siri to get better ;-) 

Siri has been getting better ... immensely better. Siri is fantastic right now.

Quite often, the problem that people have is "recognition" of what they are saying. And the problems can be attributed to (a) muffled speaking, (b) too much background noise, (c) Siri having difficulty with certain accents.

The ability of Siri to respond to requests — once it understands the request — is stellar.

But yes, any market pressure is welcomed. Apple just didn't need any. They compete with themselves.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 465member
    chadbag said:

“ ambient clinical intelligence for healthcare providers.”

I work for a healthcare tech provider and am trying to understand that MS is saying.  
    Probably that they take a total view of clinical intelligence.  Substitute a buzz word like "360" and you've got the basic meaning.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    chadbag said:

https://www.nuance.com/healthcare/ambient-clinical-intelligence.html

Ambient in this case means "ACI uses ambient sensing technology to securely listen to clinician‑patient encounter conversations while offering workflow and knowledge automation to complement the EHR. Exceeding the capabilities of a virtual or on‑site scribe, the Nuance Dragon Ambient eXperience (DAX), innovated by Nuance and Microsoft, promotes a better patient experience by accurately capturing and appropriately contextualizing every word of the patient encounter and automatically documenting patient care without taking the physician's attention off the patient." 

Basically advanced transcribing of conversations and possibly looking up information/documentation while the conversation is ongoing. Saves time.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 19
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 124member
    chadbag said:

Ambient: We monitor everything continuously.
    Intelligence: Our self image…
    Clinical: We also monitor your patients. And your coworkers.
    Securely (from previous post): End-user not able to deactivate.

—in essence: A treasure trove of unlimited information worth multiple times the sales price 😵‍💫🤭 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    davgreg said:
    Just because a product is widely used does not mean it is widely loved.

Dragon Dictate has never really been that well integrated on the Mac, is a little better on Windows and has largely been forced upon Physicians by hospitals and practice groups looking to be rid of transcriptionists.

I am a physician that uses Dragon daily.  I agree that Siri has made huge strides in voice recognition and context awareness.  However, Dragon is just incredible in its voice recognition accuracy.  The voice recognition by Siri isn’t even on the same level.  Not even close.

I have long hoped that Apple would buy Nuance and integrate this technology.  Perhaps it wasn’t feasible for technical reasons.  Now Microsoft has it.

I have no doubt that Siri will catch up, but now she will have to go much further to do so.  That’s good for everyone, though, because we will all end up with better products.

EDIT: I have a MacBook that I take to work and can attest that davgreg is correct when he says Dragon is not well integrated on the Mac.  I got it working once, with much effort and jumping through hoops, but the next update killed it on the Mac.  Now I just use the Windows machines at all the work areas for the actual dictation.
    edited April 2021