Apple announces April 20 special event - iPad Pro, AirTags expected

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    It could be date of iOS 14.5 official announcement with privacy praise. But do not expect 14" Macbook before M2 chip. All other options are open.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    melgross said:
    I’m so tired of hearing about Air Tags. This isn’t going to be a big product, particularly if they’re $39 each as the new Samsung product is. I just don’t see that many being sold at that price. Even the third party products at $29 aren’t doing that well.
    I agree.  I hope they don't get more a few minutes of stage time, as otherwise Apple are really stretching for news.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    There is a past precedent for Apple releasing iPad Pros with a new X variant of an A series SoC and then releasing an ATV with the same SoC later in the year, so maybe the stars will align for A14X iPad Pros and an A14X ATV in 2021.
    There are rumors the iPad Pro will get an M1. Maybe the ATV will get a standard A14?
  • Reply 24 of 64
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    crowley said:
    melgross said:
    I’m so tired of hearing about Air Tags. This isn’t going to be a big product, particularly if they’re $39 each as the new Samsung product is. I just don’t see that many being sold at that price. Even the third party products at $29 aren’t doing that well.
    I agree.  I hope they don't get more a few minutes of stage time, as otherwise Apple are really stretching for news.
    There's more to these than meets the eye. These are by definition tracking devices. Think about that. This from the world's most valuable corporation that has made privacy - the antithesis of tracking -  a flagship product feature. WCGW?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Beats said:
    That Apple logo is obviously drawn with an Apple Pencil.

iPads
    Probably not since it is in AR (3D)
  • Reply 26 of 64
    melgross said:
    The real (already announced) news it is it built in to other devices. Stand-alone trackers will probably be niche.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 64
    There is a past precedent for Apple releasing iPad Pros with a new X variant of an A series SoC and then releasing an ATV with the same SoC later in the year, so maybe the stars will align for A14X iPad Pros and an A14X ATV in 2021.
    There are rumors the iPad Pro will get an M1. Maybe the ATV will get a standard A14?
    IMO, that seems unlikely per the iPad Pro. My understanding is that the M designation is specific to Mac products due to the differences in system architecture. As for an A14 ATV, it's certainly possible, although it doesn't necessarily make sense to wait until 2021 to release a product using a 2020 SoC. They would have had more buzz for selling it in the fall of last year.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    My guess is that they'll add 120 Hz Pro Motion support and processor upgrades to both iPad Air and (maybe?) the base iPad, as well as support for Apple Pencil 2 on the base iPad.

Of course this begs the question of what happens to the iPad Pro? I'm thinking spec bumps on the processor, chipset (additional security and UWB support), cameras, Lidar, and display - plus a second USB-C port on the long edge, and a new Apple Pencil that's supported only on the new iPad Pro models.

Would love to see a new iPad Mini with all the key components spec'd up, UWB support, and Apple Pencil 2 support. I'm ready to be surprised on the mini, but I'm not holding my breath.

AirTags, if announced, will be welcome but there's nothing groundbreaking here. But AirTags will compel Apple to normalize support for UWB across more of their devices.

edited April 2021 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 64
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    To be painfully honest. Apple's "events" have been horrible, borderline step ford wife creepy, (reference to a movie) and boring for quite some time now. I'll save the waste of an hour or more, and just read the highlights, if any. :/ 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 30 of 64
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    The event name is Spring Loaded.

Two words. 

Spring:
    Event is held in "spring" in the Northern Hemisphere.
    Something to do with springs. Insert Pencil in hinge it stays there secured. Push it and a spring pops it right out. 
    Magic Keyboard 2. Push it all the way down and iPad is almost laying flat. Push it from that position and it pops right back up exposing keyboard, like a spring.

Loaded:
    The event has many announcements, so it's loaded with goodies. 
    I think moderate chance of new MacBooks, personally think these will be left to WWDC. Remember we are in a the middle of a global semiconductor shortage.
    AirTags, still believe this will be more of a software feature announced in partnership with car manufacturers or other and through "Find my" services will be able to locate your car, bike etc. in crowded parking lots. 
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 64
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dewme said:
    My guess is that they'll add 120 Hz Pro Motion support and processor upgrades to both iPad Air and (maybe?) the base iPad, as well as support for Apple Pencil 2 on the base iPad.

Of course this begs the question of what happens to the iPad Pro? I'm thinking spec bumps on the processor, chipset (additional security and UWB support), cameras, Lidar, and display - plus a second USB-C port on the long edge, and a new Apple Pencil that's supported only on the new iPad Pro models.

Would love to see a new iPad Mini with all the key components spec'd up, UWB support, and Apple Pencil 2 support. I'm ready to be surprised on the mini, but I'm not holding my breath.

AirTags, if announced, will be welcome but there's nothing groundbreaking here. But AirTags will compel Apple to normalize support for UWB across more of their devices.

Why would they upgrade the Air again less than 6 months after the last upgrade? Do you know how many people Apple would piss off by doing that? Me, for one. The next Air upgrade is rumored for early 2022, and it might get the Pro Motion treatment then. But, next week? How did you even come up with that idea? I agree about a Pencil 3 possibility, as there have been rumblings about it for a few months now. Maybe one with AR drawing capabilities, as the event logo may or may not suggest. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 64
    My god, again with the AirPods X! 
    When is this guy going to get it through his head that they’ve already been released and they’re called “Beats X”. Literally, nobody else in the world is still carrying that torch. Nobody. Let it go already. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 64
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Did they finally figure out how to attach a logo to email? - Like every 2-bit coder on the planet has for 30 years. 
    Maybe they finally figured out how to calculate the life of a battery / charge! - Like every other company on the planet has for decades. 

Would be nice if they caught up to every other company on the planet and became relevant again. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 34 of 64
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    frantisek said:
    But do not expect 14" Macbook before M2 chip.
    Because they’d announce a chip in advance of the first product using it? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 64
    rain22 said:
    Did they finally figure out how to attach a logo to email? - Like every 2-bit coder on the planet has for 30 years. 
    Maybe they finally figured out how to calculate the life of a battery / charge! - Like every other company on the planet has for decades. 

Would be nice if they caught up to every other company on the planet and became relevant again. 
    Lol what?
    Fidonet127watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 64

digitol said:
    To be painfully honest. Apple's "events" have been horrible, borderline step ford wife creepy, (reference to a movie) and boring for quite some time now. I'll save the waste of an hour or more, and just read the highlights, if any. :/ 
    Nobody cares. 
    Fidonet127watto_cobrabestkeptsecretllama
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Seems to me a new pencil with multicolor (multi programming) capabilities is arriving ...
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 38 of 64
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Japhey said:
    dewme said:

Why would they upgrade the Air again less than 6 months after the last upgrade? Do you know how many people Apple would piss off by doing that? Me, for one. The next Air upgrade is rumored for early 2022, and it might get the Pro Motion treatment then. But, next week? How did you even come up with that idea? I agree about a Pencil 3 possibility, as there have been rumblings about it for a few months now. Maybe one with AR drawing capabilities, as the event logo may or may not suggest. 
    Breathe in ... breathe out. Repeat this a couple of times until you feel calm.

This isn't a competition and it doesn't have to make sense for everyone. Apple decides when they need to upgrade their products and we all get to play the "Maybe Apple will do this and maybe Apple will do that" game leading up to each product announcement. It's fun, a lot more fun than listening to the so-called experts who try to make a name for themselves based on their prediction prowess. If you ignore all of the times they fail miserably, their success rate seems pretty good. So why not play along and throw out some things that the pundits haven't been parroting each other on for the past 6 months? AirTags ... ho hum.

I think Apple needs to get some foundational support for new system-level capabilities like Find My rolled out into as many products as possible as quickly as possible. If they add this capability to the base iPad the (fairly) new Air is going to feel a little left behind. But they still have to provide a big enough reason to refresh the Air, and adding more of the current "Pro" features may make a refresh more attractive. I really don't think Apple cares about how often they refresh their products and what an "early" refresh may mean to current owners. They've short cycled the iPad in the past, and the M1 Macs were kind of a gut punch to their Intel siblings.  

Let's see how it goes next week. I like surprises and there is no penalty for being way off the mark. I'm not being paid for my opinions, so if you are not getting what you're paying for, which is zero, why the animosity?

edited April 2021 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 64
    dewme said:
    Japhey said:
    dewme said:

Breathe in ... breathe out. Repeat this a couple of times until you feel calm.

This isn't a competition and it doesn't have to make sense for everyone. Apple decides when they need to upgrade their products and we all get to play the "Maybe Apple will do this and maybe Apple will do that" game leading up to each product announcement. It's fun, a lot more fun than listening to the so-called experts who try to make a name for themselves based on their prediction prowess. If you ignore all of the times they fail miserably, their success rate seems pretty good. So why not play along and throw out some things that the pundits haven't been parroting each other on for the past 6 months? AirTags ... ho hum.

I think Apple needs to get some foundational support for new system-level capabilities like Find My rolled out into as many products as possible as quickly as possible. If they add this capability to the base iPad the (fairly) new Air is going to feel a little left behind. But they still have to provide a big enough reason to refresh the Air, and adding more of the current "Pro" features may make a refresh more attractive. I really don't think Apple cares about how often they refresh their products and what an "early" refresh may mean to current owners. They've short cycled the iPad in the past, and the M1 Macs were kind of a gut punch to their Intel siblings.  

Let's see how it goes next week. I like surprises and there is no penalty for being way off the mark. I'm not being paid for my opinions, so if you are not getting what you're paying for, which is zero, why the animosity?

Lol, fair enough. But Apple does care about pissing off it’s customers. Very deeply. And to upgrade a 5 month old product would not only anger many many people, it would simply not make any sense. And say what you will about the analysts and pundits (I will probably agree with you), but if there was even a remote possibility of this upgrade, there would have been at least whispers about it the past 5 months. An iPad Air now with Pro Motion would differ very little from a Pro model and would canibalize that product for Apple. No, they will need to update the Pro first, then add 120 to the Air at a later date in order to preserve the differences between them, and justify the added cost of the Pro. 

Anyway, apologies for the hostile tone of the previous post. I meant to express incredulity, not animosity. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingambikerdude
  • Reply 40 of 64
    melgross said:
    I have mixed feelings on this one. Part of me wants them to be released so rumor sites will move on and talk about something else. Part of me enjoys how ridiculous rumor sites look for incorrectly predicting their release for last two years. 

Also, hat tip to Apple, no one really knows what they are  up to for next week. 
    edited April 2021