Stolen Quanta documents show MacBook Pro with SD card slot, MagSafe

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Schematics stolen from Apple supplier Quanta Computer by ransomware gang REvil seemingly confirm that MagSafe, an SD card slot, and HDMI will be coming to a future MacBook Pro.

Credit: AppleInsider

On April 20, REvil posted on the dark web that it had obtained stolen documents revealing details of upcoming Apple Watch, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models. The group is threatening to leak the documents unless Apple pays a ransom.

AppleInsider was able to independently view the documents that have already been leaked on the dark web. While it isn't possible to verify their authenticity, they appear genuine and filled with deeply technical information.

If legitimate, the documents do appear to show the I/O of an upcoming MacBook Pro model. On the right side of the machine, there's an HDMI port, a Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C port, and an SD card reader. The other side of the I/O setup includes two additional Thunderbolt 3 ports. Additionally, the schematics show what appears to be a MagSafe charger on the side with the two Thunderbolt 3 ports.

The leaked schematics contain many other apparent technical details about the upcoming device. For example, at least one leaked schematic shows a MacBook Pro model without a Touch Bar. Like the MacBook Air, the model has a dedicated key slot for Touch ID.

The document showing the I/O setup of the next-generation MacBook Pro was first spotted by 9to5Mac.

Earlier in 2021, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast that an SD card reader and HDMI port could make a return to the MacBook Pro lineup in the second half of 2021. Bloomberg has also reported that the 2021 models could regain a MagSafe connector.

The leaked schematics specifically refer to devices with internal monikers of "J314" and "J316," which correspond to code names for upcoming 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro models divulged by Bloomberg in January. The documents are dated March 2021.

REvil is also threatening to release new leaks if Apple doesn't pay the ransom by May 1.

Apple told The Record that it was looking into the incident but had nothing to share. Quanta confirmed to Bloomberg that it had suffered an attack, but didn't explain if or how much data was stolen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Give the schematics to iFix It to give them a heads up. ;)

Tell me, what the hell good are these unless you are Apple or Quanta?
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 64
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    mobird said:
    I know you meant that in a joking sense, but I don't think iFixit would want them. Receiving stolen goods would put their business and possibly liberty at risk.
    randominternetpersonlkruppkillroymontrosemacsspliff monkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Way to assist criminals, Appleinsider. 
    randominternetpersonKITAGraeme000AppleZululkruppDnykjpRfC6fnBshammeroftruthRayz2016mobiuskillroy
  • Reply 4 of 64
    WTHWTH Posts: 26member
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.  If REvil thinks releasing these documents hurts Apple, I think it's quite the opposite.  The ones to be hurt will be Quanta.
    Graeme000entropysionicleviclauyycMplsPapplguyPezacaladaniankillroydysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Whoever stole those documents are going to be looking over their shoulder for many years to come--if they are lucky.  Quanta and Apple have billions of reasons to find the thief.
    killroymontrosemacsspliff monkeywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 64
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    mobird said:

Tell me, what the hell good are these unless you are Apple or Quanta?
    Secrets revelations?? 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 7 of 64
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Let me guess. Stolen from a windows machine?

Given how long it took to release a machine from Apple, they could just add or remove some ports to upset these guys. It will be barely an inconvenience for Apple. 

Also, next Apple Watch will looks almost the same as the last one. Although Apple really should update the exterior of AW like 2 generations ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 64
    yeah.. they're advertising for Apple... free of charge
    mknelsoncaladaniankillroyasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 64
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,968member
    What probably won't happen is anyone remembering to put a pin in this to come back later and see if these drawings have any bearing on an actual future MacBook Pro. Industrial espionage is a real thing, and one would imagine so is industrial counter-espionage. A stolen document could also be an intentionally leaked document with bogus information on it, or even somebody's idea of a joke, like the recent diagram of the supposed 5G vaccine chip that was actually a guitar effect pedal schematic.

Anyway, it's great to hear again that Ming-Chi Kuo is "well connected." I do feel bad for Bloomberg, though, because they're apparently just Bloomberg.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Why would Apple pay this ransom? They’ll release the products soon enough and people will tear it down to the screws. 
    killroydysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Way to assist criminals, Appleinsider. 
    Well, there’s no reason for Apple tp pay any ransom now. AppleInsider is releasing the stolen documents themselves without asking for a ransom.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    WTH said:
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.
    Sort of. Three IO ports instead of four sounds less functional to me.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 64
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member
    These drawings don't look legit to me.  The key openings around the space bar do not show the inverted-T for the arrow keys:

I highly doubt that Apple will revert back to the two full-size, two half-size arrow keys so soon after reverting back to the inverted-T layout.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 64
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    urashid said:
    These drawings don't look legit to me.  The key openings around the space bar do not show the inverted-T for the arrow keys:

I highly doubt that Apple will revert back to the two full-size, two half-size arrow keys so soon after reverting back to the inverted-T layout.

You may want to have a look at the new keyboard shipping with the 24" iMac…

edited April 2021 roundaboutnowcornchipbageljoeyMephisdogolesrandominternetpersonPezacaladanianspherickillroydysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 64
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    If authentic, these documents show something very important - a return to function over form in the MacBook line.
    Uhhh, three Thunderbolt, HDMI, SD and a dedicated power plug. How the hell is that LESS functional? 
    MplsPneo-techPezacaladaniankillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 64
    XedXed Posts: 2,507member
    urashid said:

Besides Mknelson's comment, looking at my 2017 MBP, the up and down arrow keys are still placed within what looks ike a standard cut out of the aluminum top casing. I think these are real.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Schematics.... seemingly confirm that MagSafe, an SD card slot...

2007 called, wants it’s leak back...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 64
    mknelson said:
    urashid said:

You may want to have a look at the new keyboard shipping with the 24" iMac…

Oh I was talking about the Macbook Pro. Apple never changed the magic keyboard back to inverted-T.  The last model still had the above layout:

edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Xed said:
    urashid said:

Besides Mknelson's comment, looking at my 2017 MBP, the up and down arrow keys are still placed within what looks ike a standard cut out of the aluminum top casing. I think these are real.

Yes, the up and down keys do sit in a single cut-out.  It's the left and right arrow keys that need the half-height openings.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 64
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    mazda 3s said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    WTH said:
    Uhhh, three Thunderbolt, HDMI, SD and a dedicated power plug. How the hell is that LESS functional? 
    Because given the choice DisplayPort is better than HDMI, so that’s a wasted port.
    An SD slot is pointless unless you use a camera with one; most people use their phones to take photographs. Many cameras have wireless connectivity anyway.
    With four Thunderbolt ports with could always downgrade them to an HDMI or SD if desired.
    neo-techrandominternetpersondysamoriafastasleepwatto_cobra