Apple's iMac predicted to overtake HP and lead the All-in-One market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    For comparison HP All-in-one computers start at $600, the cheapest iMac is $1300.
    Of the 9 All-in-one computers from HP, more than half are under the $1,300 price point.

I dare say the revenue in this category is vastly different between the two companies.
    Here is the $600 HP all in one.

Intel i3.......Hmmmm OK!
    DVD Writer .........   :D
    Full HD (1920x1080) ......... 'nuff said.

I'm sure it has its market somewhere but we can easily why it costs that little. 
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25

The 24" iMac won't be a big seller.  Limited ports, limited storage, limited RAM, and not exactly attractive colors...and that white bezel.  Ugh.  It is a stop-gap machine.  The chip shortage has had a huge impact so Apple decided to use an M1 in an iMac to satisfy people.  The 21.5" with upgraded graphics is faster than the M1s integrated graphics.  And the 27" iMac smokes the M1 with the 10-core i9 and upgraded graphics.  People have been waiting for the 'second generation' Apple Silicon to fill in the gaps missing in the M1, but nothing in sight for the replacement 16" MacBook Pro or 27" iMac.  It is odd that not long ago, people were complaining that Apple was still shipping Macs with 8 and 16GB RAM, and now suddenly they all claim 8 and 16GB is the best thing ever.  Look how fast M1 MacBooks appeared in the refurb store because they were customer returns.

People will skip this first generation iMac and wait for something better, that is not so limited in features.
    Limited ports
    Please stop with this limited ports nonsense. Thunderbolt 3 is the fastest and most versatile connector in the industry today. You can daisy chain, another monitor, to another disk array, to whatever else your heart desires and not miss a beat. 

limited RAM
    Yes it goes up to 16GB for an entry level machine. How is that a problem?

the 27" iMac smokes the M1 with the 10-core i9 and upgraded graphics
    Smokes it at what? In making the fans spin at full speed? Every benchmark I've seen shows that entry level M1 holds its own against Intel's or AMD's desktop silicon. It also does with less power and hence quieter. 
    If you want to see tests check this from a couple of former AI contributors. 
    Or check some of his videos (Linus Tech Tips) and he's not exactly your Apple fanboy.  

all claim 8 and 16GB is the best thing ever
    Nobody ever claimed that here. Citations please. In fact many of us are waiting for WWDC to see what the next generation Apple Silicon brings to the table. Many of us are waiting for more RAM. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    thedba said:

The 24" iMac won't be a big seller.  Limited ports, limited storage, limited RAM, and not exactly attractive colors...and that white bezel.  Ugh.  It is a stop-gap machine.  The chip shortage has had a huge impact so Apple decided to use an M1 in an iMac to satisfy people.  The 21.5" with upgraded graphics is faster than the M1s integrated graphics.  And the 27" iMac smokes the M1 with the 10-core i9 and upgraded graphics.  People have been waiting for the 'second generation' Apple Silicon to fill in the gaps missing in the M1, but nothing in sight for the replacement 16" MacBook Pro or 27" iMac.  It is odd that not long ago, people were complaining that Apple was still shipping Macs with 8 and 16GB RAM, and now suddenly they all claim 8 and 16GB is the best thing ever.  Look how fast M1 MacBooks appeared in the refurb store because they were customer returns.

People will skip this first generation iMac and wait for something better, that is not so limited in features.
    Limited ports
    Please stop with this limited ports nonsense. Thunderbolt 3 is the fastest and most versatile connector in the industry today. You can daisy chain, another monitor, to another disk array, to whatever else your heart desires and not miss a beat. 

limited RAM

Smokes it at what? In making the fans spin at full speed? Every benchmark I've seen shows that entry level M1 holds its own against Intel's or AMD's desktop silicon. It also does with less power and hence quieter. 
    Or check some of his videos (Linus Tech Tips) and he's not exactly your Apple fanboy.  

Nobody ever claimed that here. Citations please. In fact many of us are waiting for WWDC to see what the next generation Apple Silicon brings to the table. Many of us are waiting for more RAM. 

Those MacBook knockoffs run Windows though. It’s like bragging about a Ferrari with a Moped engine.

P.S. realized it wasn’t YET ANOTHER anti-Apple video and you were defending M1. 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Beats said:
    thedba said:

Limited ports

limited RAM

Those MacBook knockoffs run Windows though. It’s like bragging about a Ferrari with a Moped engine.

P.S. realized it wasn’t YET ANOTHER anti-Apple video and you were defending M1. 
    I know that Linus has a flare for the dramatic but even he admits that MS and the PC industry in general dropped the ball on the ARM transition. They were treating it more as a curiosity rather than a roadmap. 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    shareef777shareef777 Posts: 136member
    nicholfd said:
    entropys said:
    This is entirely price based. Those HP AIOs are just horrible. Their only case for redemption being they are not as bad as the Dell AIOs.
    I’ve had a different experience with the Dell AIO. I’ve now purchased a total of 10 of the ones at Costco for various business clients. At $850 each Apple simply can’t compete price wise. Admittedly there’s a couple hours of prep work to have all the bloat ware removed, but that’s how/why I get paid ;-)

And yes, I’ve tried desperately to get the clients to move to macOS. Some are blocked by Windows only medical software and others by cost.
    So they are not only $850 - if you're any good, you should be charging $100+ per hour.  Couple of hours, and now you're over $1050.  And then the repeat calls to you for support (because it's Windows) and now the cost is at the 24" iMac, and the quality will never be there.  

You have to consider the total cost of ownership.
    Even an iMac would need initial setup (you have to realize, these are clients that don’t even know how to download/install Chrome). And this isn’t Windows XP/7. Windows 10 has been rock solid and I’ve never had to do any work after initial setup.

I’m a huge Apple/Mac fan, and I’d love nothing more then to switch all my clients to iMacs. MY job would be so much easier (and fun), but it’d be unethical for me to steer them towards Macs when the WORK they need to do can be easily done on a machine that costs considerably less.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra