FTC concludes manufacturer repair restrictions harm consumers

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 82
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:

When I had an iPhone battery replaced, they wouldn't even touch it until I had signed acceptance of potential damage and their proposed solution (getting back a damaged phone or the option of a substitute equivalent refurbished phone at xxx price).

That’s not the policy. If the repair fails, you may get a remanufactured, not refurbished, phone (Apple remanufactured is “as new”) AT THE COST OF THE BATTERY REPLACEMENT.
    Refurbished or remanufactured isn't really important here. Neither term was explicitly stated. The message was it wouldn't be the original phone with whatever they broke repaired. 

As far as cost was concerned, it had nothing to do with the battery replacement cost. It was a predefined price (I can't remember the exact amount now but well over 400€) and was specifically pointed out to me in the contract I had(which I wasn't given a copy of BTW). Of course, without signing that document, they wouldn't even touch it. 

In case of damage by them, I would have just two options. To accept a different (non-new) phone at the price stated on the contract or leave with the damaged device. 

This was the Maquinista Apple Retail Store in Barcelona around three years ago. 

edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 82 of 82
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    Right to repair is not a race issue. And low income communities are not restricted to ethnicity. 

The ability to repair your broken property Is a principle issue on its own. 

The political party now in control of the FTC needs to stop lumping things together for political gain. 

It’s not a tool to get a voting demographic on your side. It’s a matter of what is right and wrong. 

There are pros and cons to fix-it-yourself. 

Everything these days has a difficulty when it comes to repairs. Even vehicles. Competition is fierce and the need to lighten, integrate, etc. is real. So is the need to profit. 

However, if a battery goes bad, a screen breaks, etc. or something else that is reasonable happens, you should not be forced to go to a manufacturer. 

There should be hardware accessibility standards. 

The software is a tricky one. There are many reasons why such diagnostics are integrated. Everything from device security )aka spy chip implants) to warranty issues, to components being the proper match, etc. etc. are in place. 

This isn’t an era of clunky Frankenstein devices anymore. Things are sleek and convenient and stylish. 
    This goes away if companies are forced to dial it back 

and the idea of somehow making it easy for so
    eonr else to start a business making money off of your product - is absurd. You make the
     product. You and your customers benefit. If someone else finds a way to tag on, great. But it’s not up to you to build their business, no matter how culturally popular or politically correct it may sound.