Early benchmarks prove M1 iPad Pros are 50% faster than previous generation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:
    The iPad is amazing hardware... that's hobbled by requiring iPadOS for all apps, even when connected to a keyboard and trackpad.
    Sounds like you want a Mac.  Just buy a Mac instead.  

Actually, you mean:  Buy both:  a laptop for laptop work and a tablet for tablet work.   Then lug both of them around.

It sounds silly -- because it is silly.
    No I didn’t mean that.  And it is not silly.  If you need both.  What Is silly is trying to cram all possible uses into one device. 

I used to drive a full size pickup truck.  It was great when I needed to carry stuff but could also be used to drive myself around town.  But it was not ideal being used in “car mode”. Harder to park, and used a ton of fuel.   But it was possible.  And when I needed it as a truck it was great.  Now I drive a hatchback.  Easy to get around with in town.  Easy to park.    An carry a load of groceries and is light on fuel use.  But if I need to take a new appliance home from Home Depot, or a new large garden device (mower etc), or anything, it either doesn’t work or is a big PITA.  

Same with a laptop and a tablet.  Sometimes you want one, me times the other.  Both can sub for the other but are not ideal.  I sometimes carry both but usually just carry the one I need the most and when I need the other use the one in the PITA mode.  

Convergence products usually don’t do anything well and trying to make an iPad into a Mac would result in the same problems.   I am perfectly happy with my iPad Pro and my MacBook Pro.  I use the tool best for the job.  

What is silly is trying to shoehorn two separate and somewhat opposite use cases into one device. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 89
    Imagine an iPad able to run, at the whim of the user based on his needs: 
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS
    -- An fully functional ARM based Windows

It would be the most awesome machine on the planet.

It would likely be a meh device that sucks.  It would lose the magic that makes an iPad and iPad and a Mac a Mac (and a windows machine a windows machine if you need windows).   A device that could
    run macOS or Windows would be doable as they are basically two different takes on the same
    problem domain.  But trying to shoehorn a macOS experience into tablet hardware would suck.   Too many compromises.   There is a reason Apple doesn’t go down that route and why the Windows convertible Tablets have not taken the market by storm. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 89
    This compares the M1 ina a Tablet with the A12z.  How does the M1 compare with an A14 (as much as it is possible to compare them)?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 89
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    hmlongco said:
    The iPad is amazing hardware... that's hobbled by requiring iPadOS for all apps, even when connected to a keyboard and trackpad.
    It depends on what you mean by hobbled. All of the performance apps I use will just get a lot faster, and developers will continue to add features they couldn’t add on a slower model. This happens on the Mac and Windows machines as well.

yes, there are some things that are harder to so when multiple apps working together are concerned. But when working with the iPad rather than with my Mac, I know what that is, and often it isn’t nearly as bad as some people say. Most of those people don’t use iPads. They like to complain about it though.
    chadbagcanukstormthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 89
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Like many people, I don’t want to run macOS on my iPad. I bought Macs for that. There is a heck of a lot of software out for the iPad that does most of what the Mac does. And we get more all the time. With this upgrade, we’ll get more. And do you want to bet against Apple making some more very good upgrades to iPad OS this WWDC?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 89
    ZeeblerZeebler Posts: 19member
    hmlongco said:
    What a bizarre way to say it runs a different OS than the Mac.
    iPadOS is trash. Don't even try and defend it. 
    The iPad tech is good - but it needs a complete re-think with the OS.
    I'm sure they are working on it - a scaled down version of OSX.  
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 47 of 89
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Zeebler said:
    hmlongco said:
    And what do you think iPadOS is now if not a scaled down version of MacOS (OSX)?
    In fact when Steve stood on stage back in 2007, remember what OS he said was going into the then new iPhone?  .....    That's right, OSX the world's most advanced OS.  (His words). 
    williamlondonthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 89
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    thedba said:
    DAalseth said:
    thedba said:
    DAalseth said:
    Ok but compared to my existing iPad Pro 10.5

Holy S***. The single core score almost triples, and the multi core is three and two thirds time faster. I am so getting one of these. 
    Beat you to it. Mine is in the mail (figuratively of course). 
    I'm also upgrading from a 10.5 inch version and no need for added accessories since my significant other already has the magic ⌨️ and ߍﯸamp;nbsp;for her iPad Air. . 
    I’m seriously considering the 1TB version just for the 16GB of RAM. My 10.5 has 6 and I run into limits because of it. Can’t do as big or as fine a drawings in Procreate as I’d like to. I could get the 256 or 512 but they come with 8GB and I want to future proof. Here in Canada with a new Apple Pencil, AppleCare, case and such it will be closing in of $2k. Ouch, but I’m on the thing all day. 
    I hear ya, about the price. 
    I'm Canadian too and with our GST+PST we have to add 14.785% to the sticker price. 
    I'm not as artistically oriented as you so I'm only getting the base model. 
    After COVID lockdowns and all, I'll probably leave my Dell company issued laptop at work permanently, have my trusty 2015 MBP at home, docked and ready to go and for the in between commute, use the iPad with Keyboard, for mails, Teams messaging and other Office 365 related work. 

Seems like you use your iPad quite a bit, should be fun exploring its added capabilities and with WWDC around the corner you may be getting even more out of it.
    I know I can't wait, the 27th of May cannot come soon enough. 
    I am looking forward to getting it, likely sometime this fall. I use my iPad literally 24 hours a day. Drawing, writing, gaming, music, random internet stuff, and it’s on the nightstand while I’m sleeping to keep the quiet away. I definitely get my money out of it. This time though I’m thinking of getting a glass screen protector. My current one has developed scratches from hard use in the field. 
    thedbawatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Zeebler said:
    hmlongco said:
    One person’s opinion. 

Lol.  iPadOS already is running a scaled down version of OS X, as was already mentioned. 

williamlondonmelgrossthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 89
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:

Actually, you mean:  Buy both:  a laptop for laptop work and a tablet for tablet work.   Then lug both of them around.

This was an interesting post I just came across. Might help solve some of your issues. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 89
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    DAalseth said:
    Ok but compared to my existing iPad Pro 10.5

Holy S***. The single core score almost triples, and the multi core is three and two thirds time faster. I am so getting one of these. 
     But what will that extra power enable you to do what you can’t with your existing Pro? That’s obviously a very personal question, but I’m asking because in my case the same iPad Pro purchase to me was a very disappointing purchase. The operating system doesn’t support advanced productivity workflows like macOS. It’s ipadOS that cripples the M1 (or the A series for that matter)  
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 52 of 89
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    thedba said:
    MplsP said:

I’m in the same boat - I love my iPad for a lot of things, but there are many other things I have to use my MBP for. Not because the iPad isn’t powerful enough, simply because iOS either isn’t capable of doing them or makes it  inconvenient and cumbersome to do so. Even before the M1 Thai was true. The m1 just makes it painfully obvious. You have a machine with a desktop class processor running a glorified smartphone operating system. :neutral: 
    I’m curious to know what things iOS isn’t capable of doing for you. Through my experiences, I’m inclined to think that you’re feeling/experiencing these limitations because you haven’t gone all in. I would argue the inconvenience and cumbersome that you’re feeling is because there’s no need for you to push through the struggle. I am very excited to see where they take this interface vision for the iPad. 
    I absolutely went all in - I got an iPad pro to replace my aging MacBook air and used (or tried to use) it exclusively for 3 months. At that point I finally gave up and got a new MBP. I wanted the iPad to work, but there were things it couldn't to and other things it could do but the workflow was so cumbersome that it took 5 times as long.

One huge problem is the way the OS manages files. I got a 512GB model with the thought that it would be plenty of space since my MBA only had 256. The problem is iPadOS does not store everything locally and gives you no control over what it keeps and what it deletes. If you're connected to the internet (with no data limits) that's fine. I found out the hard way at 30,000 feet. I made sure that I had downloaded add the files and attachments I wanted to work on ahead of time, pulled out my iPad once we were in the air and they were gone, curtesy of iPadOS so I spent the rest of my flight playing solitaire. 
    What are you talking about?
    Here's a screenshot from my iPad. All that is basically stuff on my local iPad directory.
    If there is absolutely no place in your budget for both devices, then you are probably best served by a Mac.
    Besides, if my job is sitting in front of a desk, day in and day out, working on documents/e-mails/meetings, then I would choose the most ergonomical for me device.
    An iPad, even the 12.9 inch version is way too small for that. I'm sitting in front of my desk and I count 9 windows open spread over two screens. 
    I would never think of doing such work on an iPad. Not because it can't, but because it's not the best device for my back and neck muscles. 

I know exactly what I’m talking about. The “on my ipad” location is simply a quick way to show what’s downloaded. If you go to iCloud Drive, some of the files will be downloaded, some will be in the cloud. You can download a file to work on it, but when you go to access it again, there’s no guarantee it will be local. IPadOS will automatically delete/offload files as it sees fit.

It’s not a matter of whether there is a ‘place’ in my budget for both devices. It’s a matter of iPadOS being designed such that it limits the full potential of the ipad. When I got my iPad pro, I had an iMac and was hoping to use the ipad as a laptop replacement but was sorely disappointed in my attempt. As someone said above, the previous iPad was already a beast that was limited by the OS. Now it’s a beast that has the potential to leave most laptops in the dust. But cant.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 53 of 89
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Like many people, I don’t want to run macOS on my iPad. I bought Macs for that. There is a heck of a lot of software out for the iPad that does most of what the Mac does. And we get more all the time. With this upgrade, we’ll get more. And do you want to bet against Apple making some more very good upgrades to iPad OS this WWDC?
    I honestly dont’ care what OS the iPad runs. I care about what it can do and how easy it is to do it. Apple has tried to market the ipad (pro) as a laptop replacement, but it does not succeed as such. The point I and others are trying to make is that for a few years now the hardware has been amazing. The M1 makes it even more amazing, but iPadOS is far from amazing. I truly hope apple does make some good upgrades to iPadOS at WWDC - that will help everyone and help move the iPad forward as well.
    canukstormmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 54 of 89
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Beats said:
    "All dressed up and no place to go"

So, hobbled by iPadOS, where is the M1 iPad going to go?

I don't know.  But I see Macs integrating more into the tablet world while iPads integrate more into the Mac world.
    ....  Only Apple knows how and when it will take place.   They have a lot of options -- except for one:  the status quo -- which is not viable over the long haul.

It’s obvious Apple will announce some big new features at WWDC for these new beasts.

I’m betting on Apple’s Pro apps debuting. I want Logic Pro.

I don’t like the idea of macOS running on iPad. Seems too complicated for a simple device. I guess if you attach a keyboard it could give the user an option.

When the ipad is in laptop mode, let it run a laptop class OS
    When the iPad is in tablet mode , let it run a tablet class OS.

I don't see the problem.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 55 of 89
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

Actually, they already did.   Try to keep up.

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    So why would anyone contest Apple doing the same for the Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, or even iMac 24 inch? The form factors are all based on the same thin build, and minimal ports, which is anathema to user upgrades. 

I can see an argument for the iMac Pro, or Mac Pro, but even the upcoming iMac 27 inch / 32 inch version might not be user upgradeable, given the fact that few users ever avail themselves of upgrades. 

Buy what you need up front, and consider Apple financing if you can't meet the initial outlay, then sell when it stops meeting your needs, and buy a newer model.

You seem to be conflating upgradeability with OS.   They are different issues.

But, you suggest you buy a tablet when your needs call for a tablet then sell it and buy a Mac when your needs call for a Mac?
    Because those needs are increasingly not separate.
    I was helping my grandson with his homework last night and his assignments regularly switch back and forth between needing a tablet and needing a laptop.   Buying and lugging 2 devices around for one job just isn't reasonable now that technology has made one device for both tasks very possible.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 56 of 89
    thedba said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    Nice little strawman world you've built there for yourself. 
    I honestly don't see the point of you hanging out in these forums constantly moaning and groaning why Apple isn't giving you MacOS on an iPad or touch screen on a Mac. You're not even their target clientele, since you've so often told us of lack of upgradeability and how your 10 year old Lenovo on Windows 10 is running perfectly with all your legacy 32 bit apps. 
    LOL....  How is reality a strawman?    I guess it is to somebody without an argument.

And, why are you attacking posters on ai?
    Who made you the forum police?

Oh! I get it!   You don't agree with the post.   And you don't have an argument against it.  So you just want it to all just go away.
    Go play with your dolls little girl.

williamlondon
  • Reply 57 of 89
    Beats said:
    "All dressed up and no place to go"

So, hobbled by iPadOS, where is the M1 iPad going to go?l

I don't know.  But I see Macs integrating more into the tablet world while iPads integrate more into the Mac world.
    ....  Only Apple knows how and when it will take place.   They have a lot of options -- except for one:  the status quo -- which is not viable over the long haul.

It’s obvious Apple will announce some big new features at WWDC for these new beasts.

I’m betting on Apple’s Pro apps debuting. I want Logic Pro.

I don’t like the idea of macOS running on iPad. Seems too complicated for a simple device. I guess if you attach a keyboard it could give the user an option.

When the ipad is in laptop mode, let it run a laptop class OS
    When the iPad is in tablet mode , let it run a tablet class OS.

I don't see the problem.
    I’m sure Cupertino is waiting for your CV to arrive.
    williamlondontmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 89

thedba said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Nice little strawman world you've built there for yourself. 
    I honestly don't see the point of you hanging out in these forums constantly moaning and groaning why Apple isn't giving you MacOS on an iPad or touch screen on a Mac. You're not even their target clientele, since you've so often told us of lack of upgradeability and how your 10 year old Lenovo on Windows 10 is running perfectly with all your legacy 32 bit apps. 
    LOL....  How is reality a strawman?    I guess it is to somebody without an argument.

And, why are you attacking posters on ai?
    Who made you the forum police?

Oh! I get it!   You don't agree with the post.   And you don't have an argument against it.  So you just want it to all just go away.
    Go play with your dolls little girl.

Hey George, the 1970’s called and they want their expressions back.
    Who talks like that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 89

chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:

This was an interesting post I just came across. Might help solve some of your issues. 

Read the article you posted. It’s pretty much in line with other articles I’ve read on the subject. 
    What it didn’t say is that as soon as Apple allows Mac apps or MacOS on the iPad, then tablet specific apps will automatically take a back seat. Why would developers go through the trouble of designing tablet specific, touch centric apps when the iPad can run the Mac version unchanged?
    UI design isn’t as easy as many “experts” here at AI think it is.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 89
    thedba said: UI design isn’t as easy as many “experts” here at AI think it is.
    That point is made obvious when using 1st or 3rd party solutions on an iPad for screen mirroring or screen extension for a Mac desktop or laptop. Technically, it does work. But it's also not ideal in terms of the experience and much of that is related to the UI differences. One size fits all is not necessarily the best choice. 
    edited May 2021 thedbamuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra