• Reply 61 of 89
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    Imagine an iPad able to run, at the whim of the user based on his needs: 
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS
    -- An fully functional ARM based Windows

It would be the most awesome machine on the planet.

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

Actually, they already did.   Try to keep up.

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    So why would anyone contest Apple doing the same for the Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, or even iMac 24 inch? The form factors are all based on the same thin build, and minimal ports, which is anathema to user upgrades. 

I can see an argument for the iMac Pro, or Mac Pro, but even the upcoming iMac 27 inch / 32 inch version might not be user upgradeable, given the fact that few users ever avail themselves of upgrades. 

Buy what you need up front, and consider Apple financing if you can't meet the initial outlay, then sell when it stops meeting your needs, and buy a newer model.

You seem to be conflating upgradeability with OS.   They are different issues.

But, you suggest you buy a tablet when your needs call for a tablet then sell it and buy a Mac when your needs call for a Mac?
    Because those needs are increasingly not separate.
    I was helping my grandson with his homework last night and his assignments regularly switch back and forth between needing a tablet and needing a laptop.   Buying and lugging 2 devices around for one job just isn't reasonable now that technology has made one device for both tasks very possible.
    No, I'm responding to your previous comments about upgradability. 

As for your son and his homework;

Buy your grandson a Surface, because there isn't a future for what you want from Apple.

Problem solved.

See how that works?
    williamlondonthedbawatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 89
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Like many people, I don’t want to run macOS on my iPad. I bought Macs for that. There is a heck of a lot of software out for the iPad that does most of what the Mac does. And we get more all the time. With this upgrade, we’ll get more. And do you want to bet against Apple making some more very good upgrades to iPad OS this WWDC?
    I honestly dont’ care what OS the iPad runs. I care about what it can do and how easy it is to do it. Apple has tried to market the ipad (pro) as a laptop replacement, but it does not succeed as such. The point I and others are trying to make is that for a few years now the hardware has been amazing. The M1 makes it even more amazing, but iPadOS is far from amazing. I truly hope apple does make some good upgrades to iPadOS at WWDC - that will help everyone and help move the iPad forward as well.
    It does for a lot of people. Sure, we all want to see upgrades to the OS. We want to see upgrades to all OSs. But the idea I’d thecmacos Desktop on an iPad is a terrible idea.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 89
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    Ok but compared to my existing iPad Pro 10.5

Holy S***. The single core score almost triples, and the multi core is three and two thirds time faster. I am so getting one of these. 
     But what will that extra power enable you to do what you can’t with your existing Pro? That’s obviously a very personal question, but I’m asking because in my case the same iPad Pro purchase to me was a very disappointing purchase. The operating system doesn’t support advanced productivity workflows like macOS. It’s ipadOS that cripples the M1 (or the A series for that matter)  
    The big thing is Procreate. I use it a lot and when the canvas size gets too big I can’t use as many layers. So I’ve been keeping my canvasses small, but then I can see the pixels when I zoom in. I just need more muscle, and more RAM to handle larger images. The 10.5 has been a great workhorse, but it’s time for me to move up a level. 
    williamlondonmelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Like many people, I don’t want to run macOS on my iPad. I bought Macs for that. There is a heck of a lot of software out for the iPad that does most of what the Mac does. And we get more all the time. With this upgrade, we’ll get more. And do you want to bet against Apple making some more very good upgrades to iPad OS this WWDC?
    I honestly dont’ care what OS the iPad runs. I care about what it can do and how easy it is to do it. Apple has tried to market the ipad (pro) as a laptop replacement, but it does not succeed as such. The point I and others are trying to make is that for a few years now the hardware has been amazing. The M1 makes it even more amazing, but iPadOS is far from amazing. I truly hope apple does make some good upgrades to iPadOS at WWDC - that will help everyone and help move the iPad forward as well.
    I think if Apple made an Xcode for iPad then they'd be proving the professional use for iPad.
    Also, by making Xcode for iPad they'd probably also encounter many of the ways in which iPad OS isn't great for professional apps, and hopefully fix them.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    crowley said:
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

I think if Apple made an Xcode for iPad then they'd be proving the professional use for iPad.
    Also, by making Xcode for iPad they'd probably also encounter many of the ways in which iPad OS isn't great for professional apps, and hopefully fix them.
    The rumor is that Xcode, Final Cut, and Logic Pro will arrive on the iPad Pro in the near future...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 89
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

It does for a lot of people. Sure, we all want to see upgrades to the OS. We want to see upgrades to all OSs. But the idea I’d thecmacos Desktop on an iPad is a terrible idea.

I agree wholeheartedly.

If Apple put macOS on the iPad it would be an admission of failure. The vision that drove the creation of the iPad was not simply to come up with a new form factor for the MacBook Pro, i.e., to repeat the Microsoft Surface approach. The iPad was all about reimagining how people interacted with their computing devices, moving away from an arcane disconnected, purposely designed to be inefficient interaction devices (keyboard), to one that is closer to how humans interact with the world. When you pick up your child or play with your dog, you don't insert a foreign "mechanization" between you and the object of your affection, you touch it with your hands and your fingers.

This is not to say that the vision that Steve Jobs had for iPad will survive. Perhaps we are not ready for taking the next step and are too set in our ways to transition to a new human-computer interaction paradigm. We are comfortable and derive comfort with file managers and tree views and managing our data in arbitrary formats with nonsensical file names that we have been instructed through indoctrination to conform to out of habit and obedience. We find comfort and familiarity in riding our saddled horses and want our Teslas to have saddles too, because, that's what we've been raised on and we cannot easily change.  Change is hard, too hard for some.

The iPad is Apple's opportunity to change the game. I hope Apple does not succumb to the desire to hold on to the past and drag forward all of the cruft, baggage, and compromises that are deeply baked into macOS and bring it over to iPad. Adding more raw power and capability to the iPad hardware should never be used as an excuse to recycle legacy thinking and bring outdated human-computer interaction models forward.

Bringing macOS interactions to iPad buys Apple nothing at all. It's backward and it's lazy. Delivering an iPad that truly lives up to the "Think Different" vision, and makes its users think different about their entire relationship with personal computers, is what will define Apple for the next 20 years. If Apple regresses with iPad and simply turns it into a new form factor for their legacy MacBook and macOS, they will slide into mediocrity and decay and be just another peddler of nostalgic commodity gadgets.
    edited May 2021 melgross
  • Reply 67 of 89
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    thedba said:

chadbag said:
    hmlongco said:
    The iPad is amazing hardware... that's hobbled by requiring iPadOS for all apps, even when connected to a keyboard and trackpad.
    Sounds like you want a Mac.  Just buy a Mac instead.  

Actually, you mean:  Buy both:  a laptop for laptop work and a tablet for tablet work.   Then lug both of them around.

It sounds silly -- because it is silly.
    This was an interesting post I just came across. Might help solve some of your issues. 

Read the article you posted. It’s pretty much in line with other articles I’ve read on the subject. 
    What it didn’t say is that as soon as Apple allows Mac apps or MacOS on the iPad, then tablet specific apps will automatically take a back seat. Why would developers go through the trouble of designing tablet specific, touch centric apps when the iPad can run the Mac version unchanged?
    UI design isn’t as easy as many “experts” here at AI think it is.
    I agree. That is one of the potential risks & downsides. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 89
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    thedba said:

thedba said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

And even if Apple did design a future iPad to do all that, you’d still come here to these forums and complain about how hobbled it is because RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself, etc. etc. 

And nobody has ever suggested removable RAM and SSDs in an iPad.   Try to stop making stuff up.
    Nice little strawman world you've built there for yourself. 
    I honestly don't see the point of you hanging out in these forums constantly moaning and groaning why Apple isn't giving you MacOS on an iPad or touch screen on a Mac. You're not even their target clientele, since you've so often told us of lack of upgradeability and how your 10 year old Lenovo on Windows 10 is running perfectly with all your legacy 32 bit apps. 
    LOL....  How is reality a strawman?    I guess it is to somebody without an argument.

And, why are you attacking posters on ai?
    Who made you the forum police?

Oh! I get it!   You don't agree with the post.   And you don't have an argument against it.  So you just want it to all just go away.
    Go play with your dolls little girl.

Hey George, the 1970’s called and they want their expressions back.
    Who talks like that?

I talk like that to people who sound like grade school children trying to pick a fight on the playground.
    edited May 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 69 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

So why would anyone contest Apple doing the same for the Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, or even iMac 24 inch? The form factors are all based on the same thin build, and minimal ports, which is anathema to user upgrades. 

I can see an argument for the iMac Pro, or Mac Pro, but even the upcoming iMac 27 inch / 32 inch version might not be user upgradeable, given the fact that few users ever avail themselves of upgrades. 

Buy what you need up front, and consider Apple financing if you can't meet the initial outlay, then sell when it stops meeting your needs, and buy a newer model.

But, you suggest you buy a tablet when your needs call for a tablet then sell it and buy a Mac when your needs call for a Mac?
    I was helping my grandson with his homework last night and his assignments regularly switch back and forth between needing a tablet and needing a laptop.   Buying and lugging 2 devices around for one job just isn't reasonable now that technology has made one device for both tasks very possible.

Buy your grandson a Surface, because there isn't a future for what you want from Apple.

Problem solved.

See how that works?

His school already did that because they weren't stupid enough to buy two separate devices when one would do.   It works well --  Except it's a crappy Dell running a Celeron processor.

I'm just waiting for Apple to catch up and hoping they don't fall too far behind.  They have a lot to offer the world once they drop their purity tests.
    edited May 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 70 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

His school already did that because they weren't stupid enough to buy two separate devices when one would do.   It works well --  Except it's a crappy Dell running a Celeron processor.

I'm just waiting for Apple to catch up and hoping they don't fall too far behind.  They have a lot to offer the world once they drop their purity tests.
    "It works well, except it'a a crappy Dell running a Celeron Processor."

What part of "Buy your grandson a Surface" did you miss?

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-SMW-00001-Touch-Screen-Processor/dp/B08BC8SJRR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1R6K8Q1KQ76&dchild=1&keywords=microsoft+surface+book+3+15+inch&qid=1621022933&sprefix=microsoft+surface+b,aps,241&sr=8-3

Now what's your excuse; cost?

No, you aren't getting a 2 in 1 from Apple anytime soon, so move on...
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 89
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    mcdave said:
    Let’s hope they extend iPadOS (whilst not recreating the mistakes of desktop OS’) rather than let it run macOS. Anyone who’s tried to run virtual desktops on an iPad, or tried to use Microsoft Windows with their finger, knows why that’s a terrible idea.
    Just thinking out loud here; what would you, or anyone else, think of those virtual desktops being VR desktops. Using your Apple glasses, connected to your iPad, you can easily see as many ‘workspaces’ as you want. Navigating this environment with a mouse is near impossible in this 3-D world. But with your hands being read by the LiDAR on the iPad, you can now completely control the VR world. Sounds like something the M1 was designed to do. 
    A bespoke interface built for AR with dedicated inputs would be fine. Trying to use it with a mouse, not so much. My point is you need to use a UI with a device of appropriate form factor, crossovers don’t work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 89
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

except I never said anything about MacOS on the iPad - I just said I wanted the OS to improve so it was more functional.
  • Reply 73 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-SMW-00001-Touch-Screen-Processor/dp/B08BC8SJRR/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1R6K8Q1KQ76&dchild=1&keywords=microsoft+surface+book+3+15+inch&qid=1621022933&sprefix=microsoft+surface+b,aps,241&sr=8-3

Yep!  You got that one right!  Perhaps you have money to throw away.  But, once his school gave him a functioning, but cheap & crappy, machine that did the job we weren't going to throw money away on something just because it would be nicer.

But, we're still waiting for Apple to get off their duff and produce a viable 2 in 1.    They keep inching closer.  But haven't quite made it to the finish line -- yet.
    edited May 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 74 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

Yep!  You got that one right!  Perhaps you have money to throw away.  But, once his school gave him a functioning, but cheap & crappy, machine that did the job we weren't going to throw money away on something just because it would be nicer.

But, we're still waiting for Apple to get off their duff and produce a viable 2 in 1.    They keep inching closer.  But haven't quite made it to the finish line -- yet.
    Your grandson has access to a no cost computer from the school, that does everything he needs, yet you are happy to describe it as "crap".

Instead of complaining here on AI forums about that, perhaps you would be so bold as to confront the Superintendent of your grandson's school with your complaint.

In the meantime, I reiterate that Apple isn't going to build such a device any time soon, if ever, at which time, your grandson will probably have missed the window requiring the "convenience" of a 2 in 1 device, and will be looking forward to a mix of Apple devices, including an iPhone, Watch, iPad Pro, and Mac Book Air/Pro, just like most everyone else does that actually is looking to be productive.

But of course, this isn't really about your grandson anyway; this is about you.
    williamlondonthedbawatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

Your grandson has access to a no cost computer from the school, that does everything he needs, yet you are happy to describe it as "crap".

LOL....   Nice twist and spin to, once again, avoid admitting how wrong you are:

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Which you lost, so you invented an argument about whether iPads should have:
    RAM is soldered onto the logic board, how you cannot change the SSD yourself

Which you also of course lost because nobody but you was suggesting iPads should have upgradeable RAM and storage!

And now you're trying to switch yet again to a debate over whether an 11"  2 in 1 running a Celeron processor (from 20 years ago!) is good machine.

I'm getting dizzy watching you run around in circles trying to make a cogent argument.

williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 76 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

LOL....   Nice twist and spin to, once again, avoid admitting how wrong you are:

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Which you also of course lost because nobody but you was suggesting iPads should have upgradeable RAM and storage!

And now you're trying to switch yet again to a debate over whether an 11"  2 in 1 running a Celeron processor (from 20 years ago!) is good machine.

I'm getting dizzy watching you run around in circles trying to make a cogent argument.

You might attempt reading comprehension. 

I stated that all of those devices, iPad, Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, and now iMac 24 inch, are very thin, and very similar in build, so why would it be expected that any of them would be upgradable, including next generation Mac Book Pro's? 

As for your grandson's computer, those Celeron processors are still being updated, and are still being spec'd in new machines, so you're lying about the age and performance of those computers provided by the school. I merely pointed out that you had options of purchasing a much better 2 in 1 for your grandson, instead of complaining about the "crap" device that he has access to, that you also find perfectly capable. 

A common thread of you posts is to complain about everything, do nothing to mitigate that in any way, and then continue to post with pride on what a cheap bastard you are.

Maybe you don't really want to be in the Apple ecosystem at all.

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 89
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    dewme said:
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

I agree wholeheartedly.

If Apple put macOS on the iPad it would be an admission of failure. The vision that drove the creation of the iPad was not simply to come up with a new form factor for the MacBook Pro, i.e., to repeat the Microsoft Surface approach. The iPad was all about reimagining how people interacted with their computing devices, moving away from an arcane disconnected, purposely designed to be inefficient interaction devices (keyboard), to one that is closer to how humans interact with the world. When you pick up your child or play with your dog, you don't insert a foreign "mechanization" between you and the object of your affection, you touch it with your hands and your fingers.

This is not to say that the vision that Steve Jobs had for iPad will survive. Perhaps we are not ready for taking the next step and are too set in our ways to transition to a new human-computer interaction paradigm. We are comfortable and derive comfort with file managers and tree views and managing our data in arbitrary formats with nonsensical file names that we have been instructed through indoctrination to conform to out of habit and obedience. We find comfort and familiarity in riding our saddled horses and want our Teslas to have saddles too, because, that's what we've been raised on and we cannot easily change.  Change is hard, too hard for some.

The iPad is Apple's opportunity to change the game. I hope Apple does not succumb to the desire to hold on to the past and drag forward all of the cruft, baggage, and compromises that are deeply baked into macOS and bring it over to iPad. Adding more raw power and capability to the iPad hardware should never be used as an excuse to recycle legacy thinking and bring outdated human-computer interaction models forward.

Bringing macOS interactions to iPad buys Apple nothing at all. It's backward and it's lazy. Delivering an iPad that truly lives up to the "Think Different" vision, and makes its users think different about their entire relationship with personal computers, is what will define Apple for the next 20 years. If Apple regresses with iPad and simply turns it into a new form factor for their legacy MacBook and macOS, they will slide into mediocrity and decay and be just another peddler of nostalgic commodity gadgets.
    Additionally, people just aren’t learning from the past. From the beginning mainframes, every new, somewhat radically different computing system was derided for the first decade or so. Mini computers, workstations, personal desktops, laptops, and now tablets and even phones. Heck, watches are getting into it now.

but all of those people were wrong, and will continue to be. But now, more than before, because of the vast amount of connectivity, there are considerations in an OS that weren’t as critical before. It was bad enough that PC DOS and Windows were so vulnerable to malware, offline and then online, but mobile systems are much more vulnerable. As time goes on, more and more people new to computing are less and less able to understand the problems, and even less likely willing, and possible even able, to do their own policing.

as a result, OS developers are finding the need to do that policing in their OS, and download systems, stores, etc. So iOS and iPadOS are heavily sandboxed, and apps can’t directly work through each other. That’s one of the limitations people see with the OS. But, we’re also seeing macOS get some of this treatment, and Windows as well. So Apple has worked out a way for iOS apps to use data from other apps, which has helped a good deal. It’s still up to developers to take advantage of that, and while some have, others, as yet, have not.

but at some point, ALL OSs that the public can use will be heavily sandboxed. This isn’t a specific limitation of iOS, but a result of all the malware out there, which continues to increase. We may not be happy about it, but that’s likely the future of computing.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

I stated that all of those devices, iPad, Mac Book Air, Mac Book Pro, and now iMac 24 inch, are very thin, and very similar in build, so why would it be expected that any of them would be upgradable, including next generation Mac Book Pro's? 

As for your grandson's computer, those Celeron processors are still being updated, and are still being spec'd in new machines, so you're lying about the age and performance of those computers provided by the school. I merely pointed out that you had options of purchasing a much better 2 in 1 for your grandson, instead of complaining about the "crap" device that he has access to, that you also find perfectly capable. 

A common thread of you posts is to complain about everything, do nothing to mitigate that in any way, and then continue to post with pride on what a cheap bastard you are.

LOL... It has nothing to do with reading comprehension.   It's about how you just bounce to the next topic whenever you lose a debate.
  • Reply 79 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

LOL... It has nothing to do with reading comprehension.   It's about how you just bounce to the next topic whenever you lose a debate.
    What debate did I lose?

Certainly not the debate about Mac OS on the iPad, which isn't happening, nor the debate about Apple marketing a 2 in 1, which is far off, if ever, and certainly not holding out hope for a user upgradable devices, excepting the larger screen iMac and the Mac Pro.

You on the other hand, will not find an Apple computer to your liking for years, at best, hence why I suggested the MS Surface 3, which meets all of your requirements, and would certainly meet your grandson's needs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 89
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    thedba said:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

Problem solved.

See how that works?

The subject was:
    -- iPad OS
    -- MacOS

What debate did I lose?

Certainly not the debate about Mac OS on the iPad, which isn't happening, nor the debate about Apple marketing a 2 in 1, which is far off, if ever, and certainly not holding out hope for a user upgradable devices, excepting the larger screen iMac and the Mac Pro.

You on the other hand, will not find an Apple computer to your liking for years, at best, hence why I suggested the MS Surface 3, which meets all of your requirements, and would certainly meet your grandson's needs.

Oh yeh, that's right.   You never lose a debate -- instead you simply bounce on to some other gripe without losing a beat.
    williamlondon