Oscar Talk 2003!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve Martin's monologue was funny!

I'm happy Spirited Away took the first award. There was really no competition.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    it's boring... I'm going to bed. Hopefully someone will have the balls (or titts) to speak out against the war...
  • Reply 2 of 79
    woohoo! Gael Garcîa Bernal gave a touching little speech invoking Frida Kahlo........ against war. I think he did it right- low key and intelligent. Anyone who hasn't seen him yet, please rent Y Tu Mama Tambien, directed by Alfonso Cuaron.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Michael Moore. I don't know what to say.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    I think he got booed more than cheered.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't think Michael Moore will be invited back next year, he (in an acceptance speach) just called Bush a fictitious president.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Michael Moore has always been a tool.

He came into town to shoot some lame-ass show for NBC on the heels of his movie "Roger & Me" and he couldn't find any real issues so he actually fabricated an event.

Tool.
  • Reply 7 of 79
    Michael Moore is an idiot.

Once upon a time he used to be subtle and funny.

Now he's just an outspoken idiot.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Michael Moore has always been a tool.

He came into town to shoot some lame-ass show for NBC on the heels of his movie "Roger & Me" and he couldn't find any real issues so he actually fabricated an event.

Tool.

What happened here? What event did he fabricate? I like most of his stuff, but right then he made himself look like a complete idiot, blurting out the wrong thing at the wrong time.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    bah.

I was looking for a five minute plus "The Hands That Built America." Something nicely overblown to U2 proportions.

Bono looked a bit shaggy, no?
  • Reply 10 of 79
    Quote:

Bono looked a bit shaggy, no?

He gave his razor-blade money to Africa.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    But he is a fictitious president. Wherever you lie in the war/peace argument you just have to agree that his administration has bungled each successive step along the way. Basically, it's now evident that he never had the tools for the job, and neither do some of his key people. A most inadequate president, president in fact, only in title, lacking most of the qualities required of the station. And let's not too easily forget the specious circumstances of his election.

Was he anti war or just anti bush? I think even if you're a republican you ought to be anti Bush, he's making the party look bad.

Actors as politicians? Annoying. Their anti war messages tend to display an (sadly) expected ignorance of the situation, and only get expressed in the most simplistic terms. Often, they only disgrace the material.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Daniel Day Lewis was robbed.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Daniel Day Lewis was robbed.

Puh-leeeez.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Adrien Brody's a standup, classy guy though.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What Matsu said.

And Day Lweis was robbed.

As for Least-Noticed Award I'm Most Happy About category, the winner is Best animated Feature that went to Spirited Away.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Now Adrien Brody's speech was an example of a GOOD speech.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    And the Oscar goes to Eminem!

That song did kick ass!

Jeff
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Eminem wins an award....

....NO applause.

deservedly so. anyone who builds their career on misogyny deserves the cold shoulder in lack of appreciation.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Anyone else amused by those glares Jack and Nick have been giving all night?
  • Reply 20 of 79
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Eminem wins an award....

....NO applause.

deservedly so. anyone who builds their career on misogyny deserves the cold shoulder in lack of appreciation.

But as far as SONGS went, I thought it was easily the best choice.

IMO, it was a weak field.

Jeff