Apple Silicon M1 24-inch iMac review: Computing power for the masses

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 521member
    That chart is informative but can we make it easier to scan and see the differences between the two models? Something like:

Just two cents from an avid reader.
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 52
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,630member
    That chart is informative but can we make it easier to scan and see the differences between the two models? Something like:
    Let me add my table so you can see the differences between an M1 Mac Mini and an Intel Mac Mini. This is not a complete spec table, just areas where the models differ. I can't guarantee it is 100% accurate; it's my own table.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    dewme said:
    The only real benchmarks that my wife cares about for moving from a 2011 MacBook Air to a 2021 iMac:

- It’s yellow
    - It only has one cable going across the desk
    - It can run all of the latest MS Office and Intuit software

The 2011 MacBook Air score is 0 on all three of these benchmarks while the new iMac scores a perfect 3.

2021 iMac for the shutout and win!
    This will be the case for nearly the entire target market, except the "it's yellow" will probably vary.
    Fidonet127canukstormspheric
  • Reply 44 of 52
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Let me add my table so you can see the differences between an M1 Mac Mini and an Intel Mac Mini. This is not a complete spec table, just areas where the models differ. I can't guarantee it is 100% accurate; it's my own table.

The L1 cache on the M1 actually depends on which cores you look at. Firestorm has 192kB L1i per core, 128kB L1d per core, and 12 MB L2 shared between four cores. Icestorm has 128kB L1i per core, 64kB L1d per core, and 4 MB L2 shared between four cores. The ludicrously huge caches are a big part of why Apple's cores perform so well.

Also the M1 mini has optional Nbase-T Ethernet.

For those asking whether the iMac could potentially be sold with 10g Ethernet, it might be possible. The answer largely depends on what happens when you plug a power brick with Ethernet into an iMac originally sold without Ethernet. If it works, that implies the power cable is carrying PCIe signals to a network adapter inside the power brick. That could allow for 10g Ethernet if the cable has enough lanes. If it doesn't work, that implies the power cable is carrying Ethernet directly, so was probably only specified for 1g.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 52

Looking to replace a 21.5 inch with 2Tb HDD, but not so keen on the rather high storage cost for 2Tb.  What's the point of getting an all-in-one (with a limited number of ports) when you have to hang peripherals like external drives off it?

Just have to bite the bullet and spend the money I suppose, but it's a bit of a concern with the spectre of obsolescence in an ipad-type unit.

williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 52
    verne araseverne arase Posts: 473member
    Maeonides said:

Looking to replace a 21.5 inch with 2Tb HDD, but not so keen on the rather high storage cost for 2Tb.  What's the point of getting an all-in-one (with a limited number of ports) when you have to hang peripherals like external drives off it?

Just have to bite the bullet and spend the money I suppose, but it's a bit of a concern with the spectre of obsolescence in an ipad-type unit.

Let's do a like for like here.

You can hang an big external HDD off this, or opt for a cheaper SATA SSD in a USB 3.2 gen 2 enclosure for more money, or a NVMe SSD off a Thunderbolt enclosure for even more money. (Or do they have USB 4 SuperSpeed externals now? Doesn't matter - it would still be using a Thunderbolt backbone.)

As for the specter of obsolescence - how is the 24" more obsolescent than the 21.5" was?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 52
    nubusnubus Posts: 468member
    I wonder why reviewers recommend the middle tier (which is what Apple like all vendors want). Just delivered the low-end iMac to my mother-in-law, and it is perfect. It replaced a desktop eating Mac mini, an ugly Samsung monitor, and an even more ugly webcam. The new setup is super clean and worth it.
    1. The GPU... 7 vs 8 - not a problem.
    2. Ethernet? Wifi 6 is faster in real world testing and how many parents have wired gigabit connections or a need from them in their home? You can get 2.5 gbit from a dock so why pay for 1 gbit from Apple?
    3. Ports? Do you want cables hanging out the back of this beauty, spend it on a dock, or go all wireless? You no longer need cables for sync or charge of iPhones so for most purposes there will be nothing to connect.
    4. TouchID... you rarely enter passwords on a Mac. We decided against it as she might forget her password if she doesn't use it. If you often install software then it certainly is a convenience.
    Looking back we probably should have selected 16 GB RAM. We did however go for 512 GB SSD. Haven't seen the tests comparing disk sizes and performance but the 256 GB units are often slow and the SSD wear on M1 doesn't look good. Still... probably better to have more RAM than local storage. We upgraded the iCloud plan and decided to go for AppleCare. Buying a new model from Apple is a risk. Any problem is often "see you in court" until they after a few years make a repair program.

The worst part of the experience is the Migration Assistant. It spent time copying 32-bit applications that would never work, provided random time estimates, and it crashed. 
  • Reply 48 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    nubus said:

TouchID... you rarely enter passwords on a Mac. We decided against it as she might forget her password if she doesn't use it. If you often install software then it certainly is a convenience.
    TouchID works for logins to websites, so you’d probably use it more than you think. And you can authorise ApplePay with it too. 

If you’re worried about forgetting passwords they’re all stored in Keychain Access and can be retrieved.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    nubusnubus Posts: 468member
    crowley said:
    TouchID works for logins to websites, so you’d probably use it more than you think. And you can authorise ApplePay with it too. 

If you’re worried about forgetting passwords they’re all stored in Keychain Access and can be retrieved.
    On a portable device (computer or phone) TouchID is very nice. On an iMac used by just 1 person... it isn't exactly a must-have. ApplePay isn't supported by her bank and I don't really like that elderly members of the family can do purchases by touching the wrong button. Just looking at the way she uses TouchID on an iPhone... but you can get TouchID for the base iMac, and it still a better value. At least to her.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    nubus said:
    crowley said:

On a portable device (computer or phone) TouchID is very nice. On an iMac used by just 1 person... it isn't exactly a must-have. ApplePay isn't supported by her bank and I don't really like that elderly members of the family can do purchases by touching the wrong button. Just looking at the way she uses TouchID on an iPhone... but you can get TouchID for the base iMac, and it still a better value. At least to her.
    Sure, whatever works for you.   ApplePay is hard to trigger accidentally though, you'd need to click an Apple Pay purchase button with the mouse and then when it asked for authorisation put your finger to TouchID.  I wouldn't worry so much about accidental purchases.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    nubus said:
    I wonder why reviewers recommend the middle tier (which is what Apple like all vendors want). Just delivered the low-end iMac to my mother-in-law, and it is perfect. It replaced a desktop eating Mac mini, an ugly Samsung monitor, and an even more ugly webcam. The new setup is super clean and worth it.
    1. The GPU... 7 vs 8 - not a problem.
    2. Ethernet? Wifi 6 is faster in real world testing and how many parents have wired gigabit connections or a need from them in their home? You can get 2.5 gbit from a dock so why pay for 1 gbit from Apple?
    3. Ports? Do you want cables hanging out the back of this beauty, spend it on a dock, or go all wireless? You no longer need cables for sync or charge of iPhones so for most purposes there will be nothing to connect.
    4. TouchID... you rarely enter passwords on a Mac. We decided against it as she might forget her password if she doesn't use it. If you often install software then it certainly is a convenience.
    Looking back we probably should have selected 16 GB RAM. We did however go for 512 GB SSD. Haven't seen the tests comparing disk sizes and performance but the 256 GB units are often slow and the SSD wear on M1 doesn't look good. Still... probably better to have more RAM than local storage. We upgraded the iCloud plan and decided to go for AppleCare. Buying a new model from Apple is a risk. Any problem is often "see you in court" until they after a few years make a repair program.

The worst part of the experience is the Migration Assistant. It spent time copying 32-bit applications that would never work, provided random time estimates, and it crashed. 
    Drive speeds between the 256 and 512 are about the same. At present, the SSD wear "issue" appears to be mislogging of data, but regardless, it's fixed in the latest betas.
    nubus
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Am I right to say, going from M1 Mac mini to the iMac 24" - processor spec will be technically a downgrade and around 18 months after release they're no point of replacing an M1 Mac mini with a M1 iMac until an M2 or M3 iMac is available? The only changes are slower processor by a fraction and the addition to screen, webcam, speakers and peripherals for higher tier iMac.
    williamlondon