• Reply 41 of 73
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    About time. 
  • Reply 42 of 73
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    AppleZulu said:
    sdw2001 said:
    zimmie said:
    "We are being silenced by big tech!" he says, live on Twitter, Facebook, and every major TV channel.

All the major social media companies have an extreme bias in favor of right-wing politics. This is just another example of the Republicans' constant faked victimhood. They pretend to be persecuted even when they get privileges beyond what anybody else gets. It's exhausting.

I also love the carveout for Disney. They're always willing to go the extra mile to show you just how completely devoid of ethics and morals they are.
    Objectively false.  You’re buying into the same argument the companies themselves make. That is, because right wing sources are the most shared, it can’t possibly be biased against conservatives. The bias is provable… and it’s not even close. 
    The bias is against conservatives only in the sense that the bias is against bald-faced lies, and many “conservatives” are now far more committed to the lies than they are the things that used to define conservatism. To wit, the House Republicans just replaced Liz Cheney with someone who is significantly less politically conservative, but infinitely more committed to the Cult-of-Trump lies. 
    It’s amazing that you actually believe this.  Liberals lie with impunity on these platforms.  Liberals engage in hate speech with impunity on these platforms.  As for the House, Cheney was a dinosaur…her party no longer exists. She’s one of the old open borders, free trade, neocon internationalists.  That’s not what the party is anymore.  And no, it’s not about The Orange Man.  He was merely the vehicle for the populist revolt brewing since 2010. The Dems have their own version of this.  For them, it’s the hard left that has taken over.  It’s why people like Pelosi and Schumer are kowtowing to radical morons like AOC, Talib and Omar.  
    techconc
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Well, my quote function is wonky at the moment.  Mike, I’ll just say that I don’t agree much of the article is factually supported.  I’m also not interested in it validating my opinions.   I just think it could have been written without the commentary on if the law is likely to survive, labeling Parler a right wing app, or tying the whole thing to election claims.   I usually don’t have an issue with articles here.  This one feels different.  But whatever, we’ve spent too much time on it.  
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 44 of 73
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    This law is, in large part, just political theater. It purports to do a bunch of different things, but much of it is unenforceable. And I suspect (at least some of) the law's drafters know that.

Perhaps the most relevant provisions in the law read:

(5) This section may only be enforced to the extent not inconsistent with federal law and 47 U.S.C. s. 230(e)(3), and notwithstanding any other provision of state law.
    (9) This section may only be enforced to the extent not inconsistent with federal law and 47 U.S.C. s. 230(e)(3), and notwithstanding any other provision of state law.

In other words, in most contexts, much of the new statutes created by sections 2 and 4 of this law is unenforceable. Much of what the legislators are pretending to do, Florida can't do because it is preempted by federal law. But, hey, they get to enact a bunch of words into law and pretend they're doing some things that their constituents might want done.

Some provisions of this law raise serious constitutional (i.e. First Amendment) concerns as well. But the bigger roadblock for much of it is Section 230.

edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingambaconstangfastasleeproundaboutnowAppleZulu
  • Reply 45 of 73
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 516member
    Maybe these "big tech" companies should just stop doing business in FL.  Maybe the social media sites should just block access to Florida IP addresses so as to not "break" Florida law?
  • Reply 46 of 73
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    sdw2001 said:
    Calling it a "perceived problem" implies that those who believe that large platforms discriminate on ideological groups are somehow wrong or to be dismissed.
    It's referred to as "perceived" problem because it is only happening in the imaginations of the butt-hurt.

To date nobody has been able to provide any E-V-I-D-E-N-C-E that this is happening. It's a propaganda tactic to pressure sites into accommodating the crazies of either fringe.

Unless you've got some documentation that the blather (mo)Ron DeSantis spewed about "shadow banning" and "secret algorithms" --- which he can't produce any proof of either -- maybe sit this one out, bucky.
    fastasleeproundaboutnowAppleZulurobaba
  • Reply 47 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    sdw2001 said:

Parler is not a "right-wing" social media app.  That is patently false.  Parler is a free speech app.  It was and is populated by conservatives and libertarians, but welcomes all viewpoints, including those left of center.  It was never designed or marketed to be a right-wing social media app.  

The same Parler that was founded by a dude who married a Russian asset, then received a massive influx of users thanks to far right influencers like Candace Owens and Cassandra Fairbanks and later myriad far right personalities and commenters, worked with right wing operative Jesse Benton (who was convicted of election finance violations), the shell parent company of which, NDMASCENDANT LLC was filed by Greenberg Traurig, LLP which was Rudy Giuliani’s former firm who happened to be traveling in Russia and the region at the time Parler was founded in late 2018, and is funded by the very prominent conservative financier Rebekah Mercer who got Steve Bannon in the White House?

Even ignoring all that, since Maltze was fired, the company is in the hands of Mercer, right-wing British operative Matthew Richardson, and interim CEO Mark Meckler who is a well known right-wing activist who co-founded the Tea Party Patriots and is president and CEO of the Convention of States Foundation and its partner Convention of States Action, organizations pushing for a convention to radically rewrite the fucking Constitution. The leadership is currently, literally by definition, far right-wing.

If you don't think it's a "right wing" site/app, you're ether a complete moron or being willfully obtuse.
    foregoneconclusionroundaboutnowAppleZulurobaba
  • Reply 48 of 73
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    So a part of the USA still tries to be the land of the free.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    smalm said:
    So a part of the USA still tries to be the land of the free.
    And land of the gators, meth, and Greenberg & Gaetz’s Funtime Sex Trafficking Ring™️
    roundaboutnowrobaba
  • Reply 50 of 73
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    sdw2001 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    sdw2001 said:
    zimmie said:
    "We are being silenced by big tech!" he says, live on Twitter, Facebook, and every major TV channel.

All the major social media companies have an extreme bias in favor of right-wing politics. This is just another example of the Republicans' constant faked victimhood. They pretend to be persecuted even when they get privileges beyond what anybody else gets. It's exhausting.

I also love the carveout for Disney. They're always willing to go the extra mile to show you just how completely devoid of ethics and morals they are.
    Objectively false.  You’re buying into the same argument the companies themselves make. That is, because right wing sources are the most shared, it can’t possibly be biased against conservatives. The bias is provable… and it’s not even close. 
    The bias is against conservatives only in the sense that the bias is against bald-faced lies, and many “conservatives” are now far more committed to the lies than they are the things that used to define conservatism. To wit, the House Republicans just replaced Liz Cheney with someone who is significantly less politically conservative, but infinitely more committed to the Cult-of-Trump lies. 
    It’s amazing that you actually believe this.  Liberals lie with impunity on these platforms.  Liberals engage in hate speech with impunity on these platforms.  As for the House, Cheney was a dinosaur…her party no longer exists. She’s one of the old open borders, free trade, neocon internationalists.  That’s not what the party is anymore.  And no, it’s not about The Orange Man.  He was merely the vehicle for the populist revolt brewing since 2010. The Dems have their own version of this.  For them, it’s the hard left that has taken over.  It’s why people like Pelosi and Schumer are kowtowing to radical morons like AOC, Talib and Omar.  
    It's true that the Republican Party is now unrecognizable. It is all about Trump, however, and its only internal guide is built on the lies that service Trump's narcissistic personality disorder. Cheney voted more consistently with Trump's policies than her replacement. She is a "dinosaur" only in the sense that she parted ways with Trump following his incitement of an insurrection. While we might not agree with the likes of Liz Cheney much, the rest of the country is in need of a non-seditionist second party that at least gives a nod to reality, instead of simply fabricating things to suit the needs of Trump's current preferred narrative. Parler is indeed a Trumpist "conservative" haven, and Trump was booted from mainstream social media because he used it to promote the Big Lie to boot up and incite an attempted insurrection to overturn the results of a legitimate election in which he was defeated.
    roundaboutnowsrangerfastasleeprobaba
  • Reply 51 of 73
    chasm said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Calling it a "perceived problem" implies that those who believe that large platforms discriminate on ideological groups are somehow wrong or to be dismissed.
    It's referred to as "perceived" problem because it is only happening in the imaginations of the butt-hurt.

To date nobody has been able to provide any E-V-I-D-E-N-C-E that this is happening. It's a propaganda tactic to pressure sites into accommodating the crazies of either fringe.

Unless you've got some documentation that the blather (mo)Ron DeSantis spewed about "shadow banning" and "secret algorithms" --- which he can't produce any proof of either -- maybe sit this one out, bucky.

There is myriad documentation, some of which is currently being presented as part of lawsuits.  For example, YouTube's censoring and demonetizing of comedian and commentator Steven Crowder has prompted a recent lawsuit.  I don't have access to the materials, but they (his show) have described evidence in detail of other platforms actions against them by Facebook and Twitter.  This includes de-boosting livestreams, locking out for no stated reason, etc.  That's just one example.  Another example is conservative host Dan Bongino (an early Parler investor).  YouTube is constantly censoring his content for all sorts of reasons, usually "misinformation" or "promoting violence," both of which are absurd.  Recently, YouTube, Apple and other platforms censored (or delayed releasing) an entire podcast episode because he interviewed Trump on it.  Facebook and Twitter openly state they "reduce visibility" and "reach" of various material.  Funny, it never seems to be leftwing content.  

This typically does not happen with leftwing content, even when they openly violate policy.  I can cite example after example of leftwing politicians who are much closer to incitement than the Orange Man ever was.  I can cite more examples of blatantly false virus information, made-up stories on national security, etc.  Yet their content remains.  You know what doesn't remain?  The New York Post reporting on Hunter Biden's laptop.  The Post was locked out of its Twitter account and Twitter banned links to any story about it.  For weeks.   

edited May 2021
  • Reply 52 of 73
    carnegie said:
    This law is, in large part, just political theater. It purports to do a bunch of different things, but much of it is unenforceable. And I suspect (at least some of) the law's drafters know that.

Perhaps the most relevant provisions in the law read:

(5) This section may only be enforced to the extent not inconsistent with federal law and 47 U.S.C. s. 230(e)(3), and notwithstanding any other provision of state law.
    (9) This section may only be enforced to the extent not inconsistent with federal law and 47 U.S.C. s. 230(e)(3), and notwithstanding any other provision of state law.

In other words, in most contexts, much of the new statutes created by sections 2 and 4 of this law is unenforceable. Much of what the legislators are pretending to do, Florida can't do because it is preempted by federal law. But, hey, they get to enact a bunch of words into law and pretend they're doing some things that their constituents might want done.

Some provisions of this law raise serious constitutional (i.e. First Amendment) concerns as well. But the bigger roadblock for much of it is Section 230.

This is consistent with much of the Trumpist movement. Make big, bold lies to their malleable "base," and make big theatrical gestures like passing unenforceable, unconstitutional laws, knowing full well that the base will only remember the lie while ignoring the reality underneath as the law is never enforced and eventually invalidated in court by even Trump-appointed judges.

These are the same rubes who still believe Wm Barr's false summary of the Mueller Report, believe that the notes of Trump's famous call to Ukrainian President Zalensky showing a clear shake-down seeking Ukrainian interference in US elections are actually a "transcript" of a "perfect call," that Giuliani and gang had proof of "massive voter fraud" which they didn't, that Trump supporters invading the Capitol by smashing windows, breaking down doors, beating Capitol Police and chanting "Where's Nancy" and "Hang Mike Pence" was an innocuous tourist visit instead of an attempted insurrection.

Now they believe "conservatives" are being silenced for their political views, instead of seeing that tech platforms finally decided that incitement, insurrection and treason are a bridge too far, and are in fact violations of their terms of service.
    edited May 2021 muthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowsrangerfastasleep
  • Reply 53 of 73
    sdw2001 said:

Parler is not a "right-wing" social media app.  That is patently false.  Parler is a free speech app.  It was and is populated by conservatives and libertarians, but welcomes all viewpoints, including those left of center.  It was never designed or marketed to be a right-wing social media app.  

The same Parler that was founded by a dude who married a Russian asset, then received a massive influx of users thanks to far right influencers like Candace Owens and Cassandra Fairbanks and later myriad far right personalities and commenters, worked with right wing operative Jesse Benton (who was convicted of election finance violations), the shell parent company of which, NDMASCENDANT LLC was filed by Greenberg Traurig, LLP which was Rudy Giuliani’s former firm who happened to be traveling in Russia and the region at the time Parler was founded in late 2018, and is funded by the very prominent conservative financier Rebekah Mercer who got Steve Bannon in the White House?

Even ignoring all that, since Maltze was fired, the company is in the hands of Mercer, right-wing British operative Matthew Richardson, and interim CEO Mark Meckler who is a well known right-wing activist who co-founded the Tea Party Patriots and is president and CEO of the Convention of States Foundation and its partner Convention of States Action, organizations pushing for a convention to radically rewrite the fucking Constitution. The leadership is currently, literally by definition, far right-wing.

If you don't think it's a "right wing" site/app, you're ether a complete moron or being willfully obtuse.
    I have not seen evidence his wife is a "Russian asset."  She is Russian, and the couple traveled extensively throughout Europe and Russia. Regardless, you bring this up for the same reason the media does: Linking Parler, the right and Trump to Russia.  It never ends. 

You have established that Parler is run by right-wing figures.  I never said it wasn't (I know the history of its founders and backers).   It's also populated with right-wingers and libertarians in terms of membership.  My point is that it was not promoted that way.  It was promoted to conservatives, many of whom had been banned or shadow banned from other platforms.  

I'd ask you not to repeat the personal attacks and name calling.  That's how these threads get shut down.  I don't consider Parler a "right wing" app. That opinion is not going to change unless I see it promoted as such, or the facts change.  Unlike many on the left, I am fine with disagreement.  You're free to make your case and consider it whatever you want.  I'm not going to the mat over this, as I've been on Parler and don't find it particularly appealing.  
  • Reply 54 of 73
    AppleZulu said:

It's true that the Republican Party is now unrecognizable. It is all about Trump, however, and its only internal guide is built on the lies that service Trump's narcissistic personality disorder. Cheney voted more consistently with Trump's policies than her replacement. She is a "dinosaur" only in the sense that she parted ways with Trump following his incitement of an insurrection. While we might not agree with the likes of Liz Cheney much, the rest of the country is in need of a non-seditionist second party that at least gives a nod to reality, instead of simply fabricating things to suit the needs of Trump's current preferred narrative. Parler is indeed a Trumpist "conservative" haven, and Trump was booted from mainstream social media because he used it to promote the Big Lie to boot up and incite an attempted insurrection to overturn the results of a legitimate election in which he was defeated.
    It's true that the Republican Party is now unrecognizable. It is all about Trump, however, and its only internal guide is built on the lies that service Trump's narcissistic personality disorder.
    I'm a registered Republican and fully disagree.  Do you know any Republicans? Or are you talking about the politicians?  It is true that the party largely supports Trump.  But this has nothing to do with some cult of personality.  It has to do with electoral success and policy.  Love him or hate him, Trump took the GOP from its lip-service intellectual conservatism and neocon base, and moved it (or with it) to a more populist direction.  The polling and election data demonstrate this.  Trump lost support amongst college educated, white voters.  But he also gained significant support with African Americans, Latinos, and the working class in general.  

and its only internal guide is built on the lies that service Trump's narcissistic personality disorder. 

First, that's not true.  The GOP is now about a strong military while staying out of armed conflict as much as possible, more NATO funding, Middle East peace, energy independence, lower taxes and regulatory reform, to name a few.  I wonder who else had/has those positions?  

Secondly, I actually don't think Trump is a narcissist.  Obama, Clinton and Nixon were, in that they honestly believed they could do no wrong.  Trump just has a massive ego and desire for attention, not to mention a big mouth.  Part of that is and always has been his brand.  Regardless, I know I won't convince you.  

Cheney voted more consistently with Trump's policies than her replacement.

True.  Is that all that matters? She lost the support of the base.  She also didn't just vote to impeach, she went on a mission against Trump.  

She is a "dinosaur" only in the sense that she parted ways with Trump following his incitement of an insurrection. 

I think you already know what I think of that narrative.  

While we might not agree with the likes of Liz Cheney much, the rest of the country is in need of a non-seditionist second party that at least gives a nod to reality, instead of simply fabricating things to suit the needs of Trump's current preferred narrative. Parler is indeed a Trumpist "conservative" haven, and Trump was booted from mainstream social media because he used it to promote the Big Lie to boot up and incite an attempted insurrection to overturn the results of a legitimate election in which he was defeated.

1. The GOP is not "seditionist."  I do know a party that hates America, though. 

2. I also know a party that lives in bizarro world right now.  It's name starts with a  capital "D." 

3. Parler is replete with Trump supporters.  I never said otherwise.  That doesn't make it "right wing."  

4. I don't want to get the thread shut down, so I'll just say I disagree with every word of your last sentence after the word "media".  

edited May 2021
  • Reply 55 of 73
    bbhbbh Posts: 134member
    KTR said:
    crowley said:

Signed on Monday by DeSantis, measure SB 7072 enacts new rules that will affect political speech on social networks. Under the law, social media companies must inform users of instances where they are banned or censored. The rules put forth in the Florida law also encompass mandatory notification to users of instances where a post is flagged with a warning to others about potential false or disputable information in the post.

Penalties under the bill include daily fines of up to $100,000 for the platforms. Users will also have the ability to sue companies they believe are violating that law.
    Penalties and suing them for what?  Not informing users that they're banned, censored or flagged as potentially false or disputable?  That doesn't seem so bad, companies should be transparent about what they're doing.

Though allowing users to sue for shadow-banning seems like a recipe for lots of spurious lawsuits and corporate denials.
    I hope it back fires.  Seems line trump is running the Republicans behind the scene.  If I’m not mistaken. Ron is a trump supporter.
    DeSantis is a Trump "wanna be" , would be dictator. He thinks he runs EVERYTHING. 
    robaba
  • Reply 56 of 73
    DovalDoval Posts: 40member
    bulk001 said:
    Only one really important word in all of this: Florida
    Florida is truly free! My parents come from
    Cuba, we know what socialism looks like , Americans need to be careful about what they are doing in California, New York
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 57 of 73
    sdw2001 said:
    AppleZulu said:

It's true that the Republican Party is now unrecognizable. It is all about Trump, however, and its only internal guide is built on the lies that service Trump's narcissistic personality disorder.
    I'm a registered Republican and fully disagree.  Do you know any Republicans? Or are you talking about the politicians?  It is true that the party largely supports Trump.  But this has nothing to do with some cult of personality.  It has to do with electoral success and policy.  Love him or hate him, Trump took the GOP from its lip-service intellectual conservatism and neocon base, and moved it (or with it) to a more populist direction.  The polling and election data demonstrate this.  Trump lost support amongst college educated, white voters.  But he also gained significant support with African Americans, Latinos, and the working class in general.  

and its only internal guide is built on the lies that service Trump's narcissistic personality disorder. 

First, that's not true.  The GOP is now about a strong military while staying out of armed conflict as much as possible, more NATO funding, Middle East peace, energy independence, lower taxes and regulatory reform, to name a few.  I wonder who else had/has those positions?  

Secondly, I actually don't think Trump is a narcissist.  Obama, Clinton and Nixon were, in that they honestly believed they could do no wrong.  Trump just has a massive ego and desire for attention, not to mention a big mouth.  Part of that is and always has been his brand.  Regardless, I know I won't convince you.  

True.  Is that all that matters? She lost the support of the base.  She also didn't just vote to impeach, she went on a mission against Trump.  

She is a "dinosaur" only in the sense that she parted ways with Trump following his incitement of an insurrection. 

While we might not agree with the likes of Liz Cheney much, the rest of the country is in need of a non-seditionist second party that at least gives a nod to reality, instead of simply fabricating things to suit the needs of Trump's current preferred narrative. Parler is indeed a Trumpist "conservative" haven, and Trump was booted from mainstream social media because he used it to promote the Big Lie to boot up and incite an attempted insurrection to overturn the results of a legitimate election in which he was defeated.

2. I also know a party that lives in bizarro world right now.  It's name starts with a  capital "D." 

3. Parler is replete with Trump supporters.  I never said otherwise.  That doesn't make it "right wing."  

4. I don't want to get the thread shut down, so I'll just say I disagree with every word of your last sentence after the word "media".  

"Secondly, I actually don't think Trump is a narcissist."

This is why the rest of what you've written here is unmoored from reality. Donald J. Trump is not just a narcissist, but is a textbook, severe case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If you don't get that, you don't get Trump and you don't understand what motivates him or how everyone else responds to him. Other Presidents have been narcissists to greater and lesser extents, but not like this last one. That mental disorder is why Trump is incapable of accepting electoral defeat and created the Big Lie that got him finally booted off of social media.
    roundaboutnowmuthuk_vanalingamsrangerfastasleeprobaba
  • Reply 58 of 73
    AppleZulu said:
    sdw2001 said:
    AppleZulu said:

"Secondly, I actually don't think Trump is a narcissist."

This is why the rest of what you've written here is unmoored from reality. Donald J. Trump is not just a narcissist, but is a textbook, severe case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. If you don't get that, you don't get Trump and you don't understand what motivates him or how everyone else responds to him. Other Presidents have been narcissists to greater and lesser extents, but not like this last one. That mental disorder is why Trump is incapable of accepting electoral defeat and created the Big Lie that got him finally booted off of social media.
    I know what it means, thanks.  And I disagree that he is a textbook narcissist.  I think I "get" Trump really well, actually.   What's fascinating is folks who think like you don't seem understand his voters.  The "big lie" narrative is a lie itself.  Millions of well-informed people have legitimate questions and concerns about the election.  They were not taken in by the Bad Orange Man.  They aren't gullible. They aren't radicals.  They aren't rubes.  But you know what they were?  They were prevented from discussing these concerns and opinions on social media.  The tech tyrants decided that anyone who had the opinion that January 6th wasn't actually a literal insurrection, or that there were major problems with counting mail-in ballots, or that chain of custody was a major problem, or that several key urban vote counting centers stopped counting when Trump was far ahead should be wiped off the face of the digital Earth.  

Speaking of which, it's time I stop participating in this because I can't imagine it's going to be allowed to continue much further.  Many thanks to Mike for allowing it thus far.  

anantksundaram
  • Reply 59 of 73
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    The law is obviously based on a belief in the "Big Lie".  It is clearly a violation of the first amendment.   If the now right wing leaning Supreme Court upholds this law, it will damage our democratic republic...
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 60 of 73
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    AppleZulu said:
    sdw2001 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    sdw2001 said:
    zimmie said:

She is a "dinosaur" only in the sense that she parted ways with Trump following his incitement of an insurrection

Exactly this is conveniently overlooked.. She was perfectly fine until quotes like this.

"The 2020 presidential election was not stolen. Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system."

"I will not sit back and watch in silence while others lead our party down a path that abandons the rule of law and joins the former president’s crusade to undermine our democracy,”

To try and say her ousting wasn't because of her departure from the former president and non support of the big lie is absolutely bullshit. sdw2001 come on man stop this crap.

sranger