What is Your order

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was just wondering. With the soon (or not so soon ) to be released PPC 970, how many of us will jump in at cutting edge, or how many will wait to see the 970 in their machine (powerbook,imac,emac,etc,etc) I have been waiting patiently with a G3 233 DT, at that time it was cutting edge. Since then I have seen bandage upon bandage of the lineup. It would be so nice to see something from Apple that grabs you and says WOW. I've got the money Steve, now show me the goods!!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 23
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    I'm not going to speculate on when the 970 may or may not appear, but I don't think the first next generation tower will be a stop-gap machine.



    Personally, I wait until the second generation of an Apple product, since the first release is usually lacking in some feature or has some improvement that shows up in the next release.



    Also, there will always be something better. It's probably best to hold on until your machine is no longer adequate for day to day tasks. If you're not satisfied with the current offerings, then hold out for something better.



    Something has to come along... (I hope)
  • Reply 2 of 23
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    I personally bought a new dual 1.25 because I didn't want to wait for the second gen 970 PMac by using my long in the tooth Indigo iBook. I figure by the time the 4th gen 970s get out and are smaller fabed and in the laptops then I can pass this machine on to someone related and get a new one.



    A@ron
  • Reply 3 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If the first rev 970-based, pro product is released in the next 6 months, I'll wait for the second rev before buying. If it doesn't come out till say next January or next Spring, I'll buy the first rev. By that time I think the apps I'll be using would pretty much require it to be efficient, but who knows. I suspect that Adobe is delaying all their apps for the release of 10.3, though that could easily have to do with some significant change to the APIs and nothing else. It could also preceed the 970-based Macs by several months.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I won't be looking at a 970 until it's availible in a 12" AluBook. Though that might take awhile, a 970 in that small of a package would be unbeatable.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Since my next machine will be for university (this fall) and it will be a potable, i don't think i'll be using a 970 anytime soon. If there is a very good chance (and i mean very good) that there will be a 970 based powerbook at MWSF 2004, then maybe i can take my ageing 333 imac to school with me for the first term and buy the powerbook 970 in january, but i highly doubt that that scenero will pan out.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    related problem here...i need a good portable...



    i dont want to buy anything now... waiting for new ibooks and a 15" powerbook model



    i think i will wait until 2nd revision of the albooks though...



    \









  • Reply 7 of 23
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It all depends on when. If they come out, and are as fast, and as equipt as I hope they are. I would buy the first gen no problem, but if I'm short cash what can I do. I may have to wait.



    On the other hand. If Maya 5 Unlimited comes out for Panther, and they offer a limited specail price (same price as Complete) for new Maya buyers, or people upgrading from Maya 4.5 Complete (like me) that buy a 970 PowerMac I would take out a loan if I had to. That's an offer I could not refuse.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,125member
    My next Mac will be something with a Superdrive in it. Not a portable though.



    I don't mind missing out on the 1st Gen 970s it's only going to get better from here on out.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

    I don't mind missing out on the 1st Gen 970s it's only going to get better from here on out.



    Hmmm.





    Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 10 of 23
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    My next mac will be a portable. My pismo had it's 3rd birthday a few days ago, so it's time for me to start looking at the possibility of a new computer. However, I'm waiting for the powerbooks and ibooks to have another revision before buying. I also have to wait until I have enough money before buying.



    Depending on Apple's update schedule and my financial situation, I may end up with a powerbook containing a 970, but odds are I will buy one before then. If I can keep this thing going for another 9-12 months and if 10.3 makes it feel like a new machine, I may be able to wait for 970 powerbooks.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    nitzernitzer Posts: 115member
    If the 970s come as duals in the low or mid-range I'll jump with no reservations. If only the high end (or worse no duals at all) I may wait. I've got lots and lots of other things to spend thousands of dollars on.

  • Reply 12 of 23
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    i'll get the 970 as soon as it is available
  • Reply 13 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Seems like Rev. B of the 970 will be a Christmas item... \ 8)
  • Reply 14 of 23
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i graduate next yr...when i do i get 1500 for a computer so with that and my money i hoep to get a 970 tower...MAYBe a PB but i would like a tower
  • Reply 15 of 23
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,393member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mock1

    I was just wondering. With the soon (or not so soon ) to be released PPC 970, how many of us will jump in at cutting edge, or how many will wait to see the 970 in their machine (powerbook,imac,emac,etc,etc) I have been waiting patiently with a G3 233 DT, at that time it was cutting edge. Since then I have seen bandage upon bandage of the lineup. It would be so nice to see something from Apple that grabs you and says WOW. I've got the money Steve, now show me the goods!!



    I'm going to jump as soon as they are for sale. I've been using a powermac 8600 for 5 years so I suspect the 970 will be noticebly faster. I don't care if it comes with a rev a motherboard just as long as its reliable.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    Seems like Rev. B of the 970 will be a Christmas item... \ 8)



    It wont.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I intend to buy a PowerBook in Sep when I get my first pay check. But if the 970 is confirmed and announced during that period, I will wait.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    In theory

    If the 970 is a truly new design with multi chanel audio support, front mounted USB and FW ports etc I will go for the first generation. My G4/400 started to feel slow with the OS 9 to X transition.



    However if the 970 is a G4 tower with the 970 grafted into it I will wait. The B&W G3 was way better than the beige G3s both in performance and features. The same for the PCI PPC compared to the nubus PPC.



    I had a 7200/90 and tested the 7300/200 and it was faster and later the G3/233 also faster but basically just more of the same. The B&W G3/300 was a beast from an other dimention



    I type this from a dual 1.25 and I want to have way more than this before I spend money replacing the old G4/400. This feels like 7200/90 to G3/233 that is much faster but the real thing



    In praxis

    I will try a 970 in my price range and if it just feels good I will wait and if it wakes the urge of instant possesion I will posses
  • Reply 19 of 23
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Frankly, all I care about is embarrassing my PC using "friends".
  • Reply 20 of 23
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I'll probably get a $1999 thing, if I'm lucky enough to get an offer I consider valuable enough, compared to my already (pretty) fast Dual gig MDD. If they don't offer anything I want, I'll get the drivers license and a new graphics-card or something instead
Sign In or Register to comment.