M1X Mac mini will be thinner, use iMac's magnetic power connector says leaker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 93
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I'm actually surprised there isn't really anyone raising a stink about Apple's move to proprietary power connectors.  Just a few months ago my dog chewed through my iMac power cable, and I was able to just yank the power cord from my printer and plug it right into the back.  I love the MagSafe design, but I will miss the ability to use standardized power cables between machines.  I do find it odd though about putting MagSafe on what are essentially desktop computers that rarely get moved around once they're on the desk.  Maybe Apple was having a lot of repairs due to yanked power cables?  That I would totally understand.
    asdasd9secondkox2digitolcgWerksdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 93
    Considering how tiny and thin the logic board is for the M1 iMac, if Apple decides to use the iMac's external power supply then the new Mac Mini could essentially be the same footprint as an external SSD enclosure with just enough height for the port connectors.  Seriously cool.  
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 93
    clexmanclexman Posts: 208member
    Here’s my prediction… gigabit ethernet on the power supply brick of the low end version and, 10GbE on the mini in on the high end.

caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 93
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    The new Mac mini can literally be as small and thin as a coaster. 

Take out the screen and cut a square chunk out of the new iMac and boom. Mac mini. 

Crazy. 

If Apple releases a new monitor, they can build in a magnetic area on the back to integrate the Mac mini and other devices do that it all blends. 

Although, with the recent addition of an exterior power brick to the new iMac that just plops on the floor, Apple seems to be getting away from that...

oh no. That just gave me a night mare. 

If Apple forces the power brick idea on the Mac mini... that’s just awful. 

Note to the Apple leadership team and cool industrial design peeps: we love your designs. But as Steve once said: design is not just the way something looks. It is about the way it works. 

The entirety of the setup looks and works better when you have one streamlined cable going from the computer to the outlet. not when you have another clunky thing to manage, nowhere to put it, so it just litters the floor, and so many prices to the thing that you feel like you’re putting together a lego set just to power your device. PUT THE POWER SUPPLY INSIDE. Please. 

its a desktop. It’s okay. Actually better than okay. It’s preferable to anything else. 
    edited May 2021 robabatwokidsmanybruisescgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 93
    honestonehonestone Posts: 28member
    Dam! I am just about ready to purchase an M1 Mac Min i (just waiting for V3.5 of SuperDuper! to be released, and now this! However, the price I can most likely get for my late 2018 Mac Mini seems to be good now, so maybe I just get the M1 Mini and be happy. Any thoughts?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 93
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    cpsro said:
    10GbE or it's no dice.
    Since the current M1 Mac mini comes with an option vor 10Gb Ethernet, why on earth would you think that the upgraded next generation wouldn't?
    banchowatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 93
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    cpsro said:
    10GbE or it's no dice. Maybe OWC will produce a clip to secure the magsafe connection.
    Aren't the magsafe connectors pretty solid now? The old ones had a breakaway capability so you wouldn't pull the macbook onto the floor but the new design is probably pretty tight. Even you're going to use these in a computer rack, you'd simply roll the cable to a tie-down spot and it won't go anywhere. 

For your sake, and others, I hope the mini will be powerful enough to justify spending spending lots of money of 10GbE switches and expensive monitors. I still see the mini as an entry level device for people who already have external monitors, keyboards, and mice. The next generation will be better for these same people but other than servers farms I don't really see it being used for high end work even when many people use laptops for high end work (portability reasons). I'm still hoping for either a much lower entry priced Mac Pro or a Mac Pro mini with limited expansion (like only 24 CPU and 96 GPU cores without any possibility of having any future internal expansion--that's for the "full-size" (actually half size) Mac Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 93
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    CiaranF said:
    What is ‘s aesthetic obsession with making everything smaller? I mean there is no reason to make an Mac Mini or iMac smaller. It’s not a handheld device like an iPhone or iPad or something you bring around with you regularly. Why not keep them the same size or make then even bigger and fit more to them? Give me function and modularity over making something that doesn’t need to be made more portable anyday. Groan. 
    mike54 said:
    CiaranF said:
    What is ‘s aesthetic obsession with making everything smaller? I mean there is no reason to make an Mac Mini or iMac smaller. It’s not a handheld device like an iPhone or iPad or something you bring around with you regularly. Why not keep them the same size or make then even bigger and fit more to them? Give me function and modularity over making something that doesn’t need to be made more portable anyday. Groan. 
    Absolutely 100% agree.
    Also, small is not good for heat and although the power brick maybe external, anything that reduces heat is a positive.
    You two really don't understand how a smaller and lighter device is both good for selling products and for the logistical aspects of lowering materials, shipping, and storage costs?

If you think Apple is leaving money on the table by not making it unnecessarily larger then please explain why.
    edited May 2021 Fidonet127raybowilliamlondonraoulduke42citylightsapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 93
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    spheric said:
    cpsro said:
    10GbE or it's no dice.
    Since the current M1 Mac mini comes with an option vor 10Gb Ethernet, why on earth would you think that the upgraded next generation wouldn't?
    (1) it took half a year to get the 10GbE option on the M1 mini
    (2) if the ethernet port is on a separate brick, then 10GbE may be too challenging or finicky to deliver over the magsafe cable.
    (3) 10GbE is available over Thunderbolt dongles and Apple may feel that's good enough
    Yes, indeed, I'm on Earth.
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 93
    rob53 said:
    cpsro said:
    10GbE or it's no dice. Maybe OWC will produce a clip to secure the magsafe connection.
    Aren't the magsafe connectors pretty solid now? The old ones had a breakaway capability so you wouldn't pull the macbook onto the floor but the new design is probably pretty tight. Even you're going to use these in a computer rack, you'd simply roll the cable to a tie-down spot and it won't go anywhere. 

For your sake, and others, I hope the mini will be powerful enough to justify spending spending lots of money of 10GbE switches and expensive monitors. I still see the mini as an entry level device for people who already have external monitors, keyboards, and mice. The next generation will be better for these same people but other than servers farms I don't really see it being used for high end work even when many people use laptops for high end work (portability reasons). I'm still hoping for either a much lower entry priced Mac Pro or a Mac Pro mini with limited expansion (like only 24 CPU and 96 GPU cores without any possibility of having any future internal expansion--that's for the "full-size" (actually half size) Mac Pro.
    I don't get the fanaticism of 10gb ethernet on what is essentially an entry-level Mac.  What kind of LAN traffic are these users doing, not to mention having to upgrade their switches and ethernet cables.  I get the speed but 10gb/s for LAN for the Mac mini seems to be more a niche thing than providing any real value to the majority of buyers.

Now, using a Mini in server farms, that's a different story.

Worst case, buy a Thunderbolt->10gb Ethernet adapter right?  Am I messing something?
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 93
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    sflocal said:
    rob53 said:
    cpsro said:

I don't get the fanaticism of 10gb ethernet on what is essentially an entry-level Mac.  What kind of LAN traffic are these users doing, not to mention having to upgrade their switches and ethernet cables.  I get the speed but 10gb/s for LAN for the Mac mini seems to be more a niche thing than providing any real value to the majority of buyers.

Now, using a Mini in server farms, that's a different story.

Worst case, buy a Thunderbolt->10gb Ethernet adapter right?  Am I messing something?
    Mac minis are used in all manner of production work, not least because they are easily rack-mounted and the best tool is one that can do what's needed, while the Mac Pro is often total overkill. I can understand the need for 10 Gb Ethernet. 

I'm pretty sure that there was no need whatsoever to add 10 GbE to the mini after six months other than market pressure from potential buyers who need it. 

I'd assume that the market that demanded this hasn't changed substantially over the past eight weeks, and that a considerably more powerful mini will be even more squarely in the production environments that benefit from 10 GbE. 

All speculation at this point, of course. 
    williamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 93
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    CiaranF said:
    Assuming they're not making compromises, what's the advantage of making it larger? I remember the a cheap stereo we had when I was a kid that had a single circuit board and then a bunch of empty space in the cabinet to make it look more impressive. Are you suggesting Apple do that?

Size does not necessarily mean function.
    h2pcitylightsapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 93
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    Could the iMac PS be used on the Mac Mini, as a way to add a second Ethernet port? Could there be an upcoming PS that is 10 gig? 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 93
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    The new Mac mini can literally be as small and thin as a coaster. 

Take out the screen and cut a square chunk out of the new iMac and boom. Mac mini. 

Crazy. 

If Apple releases a new monitor, they can build in a magnetic area on the back to integrate the Mac mini and other devices do that it all blends. 

Although, with the recent addition of an exterior power brick to the new iMac that just plops on the floor, Apple seems to be getting away from that...

oh no. That just gave me a night mare. 

If Apple forces the power brick idea on the Mac mini... that’s just awful. 

Note to the Apple leadership team and cool industrial design peeps: we love your designs. But as Steve once said: design is not just the way something looks. It is about the way it works. 

The entirety of the setup looks and works better when you have one streamlined cable going from the computer to the outlet. not when you have another clunky thing to manage, nowhere to put it, so it just litters the floor, and so many prices to the thing that you feel like you’re putting together a lego set just to power your device. PUT THE POWER SUPPLY INSIDE. Please. 

its a desktop. It’s okay. Actually better than okay. It’s preferable to anything else. 
    Agreed, power supplies belong inside the computer.  Externals degrade too quickly (unmanaged heat build up) and add tons of e-waste.
    twokidsmanybruisesdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 93
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    I hope the product will be a bit more imaginative than the render. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 93
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Wow... That is awesome!

One can stack a gazillion of these into a server farm in a relatively small data center space.
    They will also remain relatively cool as they sip power for heavy duty processing.

Go Apple Go, Go, Go!

williamlondondewmeh2pYonapatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 93
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    sflocal said:
    Considering how tiny and thin the logic board is for the M1 iMac, if Apple decides to use the iMac's external power supply then the new Mac Mini could essentially be the same footprint as an external SSD enclosure with just enough height for the port connectors.  Seriously cool.  
    I don’t think there is a need for a MagSafe connector on a Mac mini though, except for production efficiencies for the power brick. Thing is the brick would be much better if the cable to the computer was user replaceable, instead of hard wired.  If the cable breaks you have to get the whole brick. Appalling. You won’t be able to use this MagSafe connector on a laptop. And would it not be better if the same brick could’ve been used for all devices regardless of connector?
    edited May 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 38 of 93
    If it has the same footprint as an old Mac mini and given the size of the M1-motherboard, would it really be impossible to fit in a power brick? It probably won’t need as much power as an old Mac mini?

I would love for this to be a very inexpensive computer! But I see no reason for them to lower the price if it’s just as capable as the old one. The could have this as a 300$ machine, and have a even more specked up machine for 800$. There were some talks some years ago about a modular machine you could build upon by stacking? Given as how thin this is it would work really well as a stackable machine. Would be great if it had like a HD-stack and things like that. 
    williamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 93
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Just making it thinner is pretty unimaginative, no one is complainign about the thickness of the Mac Mini.  It'd be cool if Apple would look into how they could use the space saving in more interesting ways.  I'm thinking of something like the Dell OptiPlex USFF, which fits into the monitor stand.  The Dell is a piece of crap because of the limited hardware, but will Apple's capacity for smaller logic boards and the thermals of the M1 then they could do something really cool.
    digitolraoulduke42darkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 93
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    entropys said:
    sflocal said:
    I don’t think there is a need for a MagSafe connector on a Mac mini though, except for production efficiencies for the power brick. Thing is the brick would be much better if the cable to the computer was user replaceable, instead of hard wired.  If the cable breaks you have to get the whole brick. Appalling. You won’t be able to use this MagSafe connector on a laptop. And would it not be better if the same brick could’ve been used for all devices regardless of connector?
    …. Or maybe, the exact same cable/power brick combo can be used to power a Mac mini or an iMac or a future Mac Pro, like you said in your last sentence and undid the entire first part/rant of your post. 

Also why would the cable break on a desktop computer? It never or rarely moves from your desk. 
    edited May 2021 Fidonet127williamlondonwatto_cobra