Some iPhone users report high battery drain following iOS 14.6 update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    I've noticed my battery draining faster than usual since upgrading to 14.6 on my 11.  But I've noticed that sort of thing on virtually every upgrade on every phone for a short period.

If it doesn't go back to "normal", I'll worry.  Not until then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    I sincerely hope that you’re not in the medical
    profession either or the education field for that matter since you obviously have never heard of spellcheck. It’s tumor not tumour.  Also, your statement is absolutely ridiculous. 

"I've never seen it spelled that way before so, despite the evidence of dictionaries, it must be wrong!"
    muthuk_vanalingampscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Apple could certainly add more diagnostics such as per-app battery consumption rate and compare it to historical statistics on a per-app basis to gain a bit more insight into potential battery consumption issues, like why an app is suddenly consuming a lot more power than it typically does. Whether this would help end users or simply generate more questions and trips down a rabbit hole is debatable. Knowing that an app is consuming more power than it typically does is interesting, but it may not be an indication of a problem but rather just a transient condition such as a local cache needing to be being refilled from a remote source, causing WiFi usage to temporarily spike until more requests on average are serviced from the local cache.

I always look at the known power hogs when trying to track down electrical power issues. For homes and commercial facilities I look for anything with an electric motor in the loop and for connected portable equipment I look for anything with a radio in the loop, e.g., WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular modem, etc. Anecdotally, I would say that WiFi is always a frequent flier when it comes to draining the battery on all of my devices. It would be informative for me to see who is using the WiFi at any given point in time. But again, knowing this may simply be a data point that leads to more unanswered questions. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    When you have to plug your phone in 3-4 times a day in order to get through an 8 hour shift, that’s pretty bad. So again, I dare say it, risking offending the sensitivities of the group, the battery life on 12 lineup sucks. Plain English, end of sentence, end quote. 
  • Reply 25 of 28
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,010member
    A number of iPhone users are reporting issues with their battery life, with some noting severe battery drain when left off-charge overnight.

There is also some debate as to how many people are actually affected by the problem. AppleInsider regularly tracks social media trends as they pertain to Apple devices, and there isn't a statistically significant increase in complaints for iOS 14.6, versus any other recent version.
    Sort of makes one wonder why the decision is made to go ahead with an article on the subject.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    When you have to plug your phone in 3-4 times a day in order to get through an 8 hour shift, that’s pretty bad. So again, I dare say it, risking offending the sensitivities of the group, the battery life on 12 lineup sucks. Plain English, end of sentence, end quote. 
    Seriously, it sounds like your specific device has a real problem that warrants a trip to the Genius Bar. There’s no denying that something is seriously wrong with your device if it’s dating the battery up to 4 times in an 8-hour period. 

I have actually experienced environmental scenarios that caused my phone’s battery to discharge in less than one hour. It was inside an industrial motor and drives testing facility that was essentially surrounded by a faraday cage (even the floor) to limit electromagnetic emissions from the lab. The poor little phone tried to burn through the shield by jacking up radio power to the max level. 
    timetravelNov51955watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    maccaguymaccaguy Posts: 70member

Flavour, Tumour, Hounour, what the hell is that? Where do we live? France with the other upper crust aristocrat pedigrees? 

Guess what? The battery life on the 12 lineup still sucks. 

Or maybe, just maybe, the World Wide Web extends to points farther out than your own head and people from the Commonwealth visit a site readily available on the internet and respond with a spelling normal to their local. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    maccaguy said:

I sincerely hope that you’re not in the medical
    profession either or the education field for that matter since you obviously have never heard of spellcheck. It’s tumor not tumour.  Also, your statement is absolutely ridiculous. 

I hope you’re not a lexicographer,  understanding that there are more than one way to spell words. “Tumour” is like any other British English spelling that often includes a “u” after an “o”. Flavour, honour, savour, saviour, candour, behaviour, colour, armour, demeanour, glamour, and harbour are all perfectly good spellings. 

As far as the original topic, my 6th gen iPad has had terrible battery drain after one of the 14.x updates, and the culprit seems to be Find My, with that app alone using 60% of battery whenever it’s off charge. It loses as much as 25% overnight, compared to 2-4% before. Turning off the “Find My Network” seems to help, but only a little. Apple ran a remote diagnostics and said the device seems fine from that perspective, and it’s not like I can uninstall and reinstall that app. 
    Yes it is true that there is more than one way to spell certain words but the correct grammar for tumor is exactly that and not tumour which sounds incredibly snobby like, “Poo poo wee wee look at me, I can spell these words with a completely droll sense of grammar.” 

Flavour, Tumour, Hounour, what the hell is that? Where do we live? France with the other upper crust aristocrat pedigrees? 

Guess what? The battery life on the 12 lineup still sucks. 
    France? Really? Have you heard of a country called England? They have this language there, named after the country itself, from which American English is derived.

SO CLOSE to approaching the point.
    watto_cobra