Apple Watch 'Mind' app in watchOS 8 may offer mental health help

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited June 2021
Apple may be introducing a "Mind" app during its WWDC keynote address, after a developer discovered app bundle identifiers pointing to new features destined for watchOS 8.

Apple is holding its keynote address of WWDC 2021 on Monday, and is expected to announce a variety of new features it will be bringing in iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, watchOS 8, and macOS 12 this fall. While Apple's announcements are usually very secretive, it appears the Cupertino tech giant may have accidentally let some secrets slip early.

Found by developer Khaos Tian and posted to Twitter, an image showing an App Store profile lists a number of bundle identifiers, largely associated with watchOS. Among the list are some items that may hint at what could be arriving on the Apple Watch very soon.

Looks like someone deployed the new profile for App Store too early? Want to guess what "https://t.co/nhhpJFmZbJ.Mind" is on watchOS? pic.twitter.com/BarzoJtovq

-- Khaos Tian (@KhaosT)

The key finding in the list is "com.apple.Mind," which is a new addition as there are no apps from Apple bearing the title. It is plausible that Mind could be a new app included within watchOS 8, which could provide some form of mental health-related functionality.

Many other items listed in the image include "NanoTips" and "NanoContacts," which could point to Apple Watch variants of the existing iPhone apps. This may be part of a continued push to make the Apple Watch less reliant on the iPhone and iOS apps handling and managing data on its behalf.

Follow all of WWDC 2021 with comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS Monterey and more.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    It will be interesting to see if and how this will tie into the Breathe App, which I use daily. I wish they would upgrade it though to include more than just one breathing exercise. 
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    Japhey said:
    It will be interesting to see if and how this will tie into the Breathe App, which I use daily. I wish they would upgrade it though to include more than just one breathing exercise. 
    My guess is an expansion of the Breathe app to encompass more mindfulness/focus exercises. I’m actually pretty interested in where that might go. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Ill loose my mind if i have to buy another apple watch just to get an app to get rid of my twitch especially after buying the last release model. 
    I am a chef we constantly wash our hands and so dishes when required the hand wash app drives me nnsanev.