Apple suppliers in China accused of racial discrimination in job ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 8
A number of Apple's suppliers in China are allegedly telling minorities not to bother applying for work on the open market, a report claims, due to the same firms employing Uyghurs via a government-sponsored labor program.




Members of Apple's supply chain in China have been previously accused of taking part in labor programs believed to be connected to the genocide of Uyghurs from the Xinjiang region of China. Those labor programs apparently have a knock-on effect in the overall labor market, with companies allegedly warning off groups of people from applying to work through normal channels.

Over 100 online job advertisements for production line roles across more than 30 companies in the supply chain allegedly use discriminatory language, according to The Information. The ads were supposedly placed by a wide variety of firms, including major suppliers like Foxconn, Pegatron, Quanta, Wistron, and Luxshare.

While the jobs were posted by recruiters by outside agencies, the report was told the wording of the ads were apparently what the hiring firms wanted.

The ads in question allegedly include discouragement from applicants aged over 40 years old, or those with tattoos, along with some advising against applications from minorities.

In one example, iPhone metal part supplier Cathay Tat ming allegedly states in an ad "minorities without dietary restrictions are accepted (Uyghurs excluded)." Another by iPhone cover glass supplier Biel Crystal reads "Tibetans, Uyghurs, Hui, Yi, Dongxiang from Tibet or Xinjiang regions aren't accepted."

"Factories are incentivized with all these guarantees that minorities who are part of these programs aren't going to cause trouble," according to Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology associate professor Tim Grose. Aside from cheap labor, the firms also benefit because the groups often are supplied with their own chefs, "so factories don't have to worry about their dietary restrictions or food taboos."

An Apple spokesman told the report its suppliers look out for illegal or unauthorized job postings, with more than 300 such postings flagged for removal this year. There was also the assurance the ads weren't affiliated with Apple or were not authorized by suppliers.

Apple suppliers including Luxshare Precision, Shenzen Deren Electronic, and Avary Holding are among seven suppliers who allegedly participated in labor programs linked to the genocides. The revelations have led to Apple feeling pressure from the United States to respond to the labor exploitation claims.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 9
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 2,384member
    Seems to me this is an issue Apple cannot realistically control. They can try to nudge in a positive direction, but it's up to the people of China to figure this stuff out for themselves. Neither Apple nor the US is an imperial power here. 
    Beatsjony0
  • Reply 2 of 9
    blastdoor said:
    Seems to me this is an issue Apple cannot realistically control. They can try to nudge in a positive direction, but it's up to the people of China to figure this stuff out for themselves. Neither Apple nor the US is an imperial power here. 
    Apple can't control what any company does but they have 100% control of the decision to work with the company and Apple does make Anti-Discrimination a requirement for being an Apple supplier. 

    https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

    "Supplier shall not discriminate against any worker based on age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, union membership, or any other status protected by applicable national or local law, in hiring and other employment practices. Supplier shall not require pregnancy or medical tests, except where required by applicable laws or regulations or prudent for workplace safety, and shall not improperly discriminate based on test results."
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ronnronn Posts: 424member
    Apple sets their own standards and any company directly or indirectly retained by Apple should follow those standards or be kicked out of the supply chain. No half-stepping BS can ever excuse discrimination.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 2,408member
    ronn said:
    Apple sets their own standards and any company directly or indirectly retained by Apple should follow those standards or be kicked out of the supply chain. No half-stepping BS can ever excuse discrimination.

    Apple IS NOT in control of third party companies. What company do you know of that manages companies they do not own just because they do business together??

    Who will Apple employ? Would you suggest Apple manufacture their own parts?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    BeatsBeats Posts: 2,408member
    My comment from the Uyghur article which I believe is important and relevant:

    I wonder if Apple sites should stop reporting what happens at 3rd party companies. It’s always negative news and it’s never about Apple. Morons refer to these articles and news as “proof” that “Apple employees” are treated badly.

    I’m no one to tell sites what to report but this is absurd outside of Apple sites. For example Foxconn manufactures and for a huge variety of companies from Amazon to Microsoft but when ANYTHING negative happens there the news is exclusive to Apple. Headlines like “Apple suppliers being abused” or “Employees overworked at Apple manufacturer” are written... even if those employees were working on the new Xbox. You’ll have a hard time seeing headlines like these outside of Apple. A headline like “McDonald’s beef supplier inhumane to animals” would be hard to find or “Wal Mart electronics manufacturer practicing labor abuse”. Though those companies will be mentioned in the article they’re hardly ever worded as if the customer is responsible or to blame.

    A few days ago I had to correct an iKnockoff moron who claimed Apple installed nets because “Apple employees” were committing suicide. Besides so much being wrong with the claim I had to correct the moron and point out that Foxconn is not Apple. Ironically, his iKnockoff was probably manufactured there as well. 🤦‍♂️ 
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 9
    vesaliusvesalius Posts: 4member
    Apple/Tim cook comments, opines and writes on what he considers US discrimination outside Apples supply chain all the time. Apple opens themselves up to appropriate criticism by putting their head in the sand to even worse government sanctioned discrimination and at times genocide in China for what anyone and everyone knows is business/financial reasons. 

     Virtue signaling when it helps with US customers and not when it’s uncomfortable with the Chinese government. 
    ronn
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ronnronn Posts: 424member
    Beats said:
    ronn said:
    Apple sets their own standards and any company directly or indirectly retained by Apple should follow those standards or be kicked out of the supply chain. No half-stepping BS can ever excuse discrimination.

    Apple IS NOT in control of third party companies. What company do you know of that manages companies they do not own just because they do business together??

    Who will Apple employ? Would you suggest Apple manufacture their own parts?
    Apple not in control of third party companies? Bullshit! They control the purse strings. Strings attached to their stated goals and principles. They can't ignore abuses that are contrary to their stated goals and policies. They have contractors that operate factories for their exclusive benefit. They have suppliers that make components available to them exclusively. They control the relationships with their suppliers and manufacturing partners. End of story.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 9
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,941member
    ronn said:
    Beats said:
    ronn said:
    Apple sets their own standards and any company directly or indirectly retained by Apple should follow those standards or be kicked out of the supply chain. No half-stepping BS can ever excuse discrimination.

    Apple IS NOT in control of third party companies. What company do you know of that manages companies they do not own just because they do business together??

    Who will Apple employ? Would you suggest Apple manufacture their own parts?
    Apple not in control of third party companies? Bullshit! They control the purse strings. Strings attached to their stated goals and principles. They can't ignore abuses that are contrary to their stated goals and policies. They have contractors that operate factories for their exclusive benefit. They have suppliers that make components available to them exclusively. They control the relationships with their suppliers and manufacturing partners. End of story.
    Apple's only solution is to pull out of China totally, that is the only way do what you claim is easily done. 

    Apple can set all the all policies they like if the government in that countries does not back those policies nothing Apple can do such as controlling the purse strings will make the company do what Apple wants. Keep in mind every company who is Chinese owned, (there is not such things as non-Chinese owned company in China) will only do what the government says and Apple has no control in this transaction. 

    The only way to meet your moral requirement is to have Apple stop doing all business in China which includes sell their products in China. Everyone think this stuff is simple but they never run their own business and have to meet regulation let along doing business out side the US like China.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ronnronn Posts: 424member
    maestro64 said:
    ronn said:
    Beats said:
    ronn said:
    Apple sets their own standards and any company directly or indirectly retained by Apple should follow those standards or be kicked out of the supply chain. No half-stepping BS can ever excuse discrimination.

    Apple IS NOT in control of third party companies. What company do you know of that manages companies they do not own just because they do business together??

    Who will Apple employ? Would you suggest Apple manufacture their own parts?
    Apple not in control of third party companies? Bullshit! They control the purse strings. Strings attached to their stated goals and principles. They can't ignore abuses that are contrary to their stated goals and policies. They have contractors that operate factories for their exclusive benefit. They have suppliers that make components available to them exclusively. They control the relationships with their suppliers and manufacturing partners. End of story.
    Apple's only solution is to pull out of China totally, that is the only way do what you claim is easily done. 

    Apple can set all the all policies they like if the government in that countries does not back those policies nothing Apple can do such as controlling the purse strings will make the company do what Apple wants. Keep in mind every company who is Chinese owned, (there is not such things as non-Chinese owned company in China) will only do what the government says and Apple has no control in this transaction. 

    The only way to meet your moral requirement is to have Apple stop doing all business in China which includes sell their products in China. Everyone think this stuff is simple but they never run their own business and have to meet regulation let along doing business out side the US like China.
    First, don't put words in my mouth. I wrote nothing indicating that living up to it's policies "is easily done." Apple sets up rules, conditions and have outside agencies audit their suppliers. So they can insist on those they pay to adhere to their conditions. Some of the actions that the above report uncovered is not at the behest of the CCP, but the policies of the contractors themselves. Some of it is just plain bias that isn't mandated, just implemented by jackasses. Again, this violates Apple's stated policies and Chinese law. Apple can't simply put up its hands and say "Oh well!" They have the resources and capability to ensure that all contractors, direct and indirect, follow their stated, long-term policies. They've kicked contractors to the curb before, they can do so in the present. This isn't a no-win situation. Doing nothing would be reckless and potentially hurts the bottomline. As witnessed with the recent stupidity in the Indian factory riots. By not staying on top of their partners, it caused lingering harm.
    muthuk_vanalingam
Sign In or Register to comment.