webcam by apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
with video conferencing in ichat2 its absolutely clear for me

anyone else agree with me?

how will it look like?

i mean..specs wise...and built in to some macs maybe?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I think Apple will work to get more third party vendors on board. I want to use video chat say hi to my gf in Indiana, and I have my eye on this camera:

Fire-i Digital Camera for Mac

What I like about it is a) it's Firewire b) it has a little clip to attach to my powerbook screen and c) it draws very low power, so you can use it on the go too. If iChat gets video abilities I am definitely hooking myself up with this one .

I want Apple to make good computers and good software. Leave peripherals to others. I don't need an Apple phone, I don't need an Apple camera or an Apple cup holder. I just want an Apple computer .
  • Reply 2 of 32
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I think it's pretty obvious that Apple got out of the peripheral market a few years ago to concentrate purely on providing base systems. leaving third-party vendors to provide peripherals.

Using the iChat = Apple webcam logic, you'd expect an Apple projector for Keynote, an Apple video camera for iMovie, an Apple PDA for iCal and an Apple digital camera for iPhoto. Slim chances, methinks...
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Using the iChat = Apple webcam logic, you'd expect an Apple projector for Keynote, an Apple video camera for iMovie, an Apple PDA for iCal and an Apple digital camera for iPhoto.

Maybe they are in the works. They have the iPod for iTunes. We just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I think the iPod was made because none of the other players either 1)didn't support iTunes, or 2) sucked. Apple also probably wanted the attention. Maybe if you can get someone into an Apple store, you can get them to switch.

Also, following this logic, Apple doesn't build digital cameras and camcorders because other companies already build good products. They don't need to build a phone because other companies already build solid cell phones.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    well Apple had the QuickTake digital camera at the same time they had the Newton PDA, so they've been in both markets before they were mature... but it's more likely a 3rd party firewire camera would survive (could also run on viao's)
  • Reply 6 of 32
    so why have an airport ???

Apple could just provide a PCCard slot and let Linksys handle the base stations ....

Apple will build whatever peripherals they think they can make money with ... iPod works, I doubt a camera or phone would ... too much competition.

I'm actually surprised the Airport sells so well, since there are cheaper alternatives that work fine (although I did buy an Airport).
  • Reply 7 of 32
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i would hope that (if apple made a web camera) that it would look nicer than that firewire one...

i might get one if iChat went video in iChat 2.0...but then again, maybe not...the people i usually iChat with are Brad, Murbot or sometimes Jonathan...and i REALLY don't need to be looking at any of those mugs while trying to type....yeeesch....though it would help me keep on my diet...

with murbot i can see a whole new online drinking contest being started...and that wouldn't be too healthy either....

g
  • Reply 8 of 32
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

I think the iPod was made because none of the other players either 1)didn't support iTunes, or 2) sucked. Apple also probably wanted the attention. Maybe if you can get someone into an Apple store, you can get them to switch.

You forgot the clincher, no FW on the others.

Webcams are all about the same right now, so a phat iApp or making it easier to communicate is the key. I have a linksys router and my mom can't connect to me so I can't video conference. Maybe Apple can fix that as iChat I can send and receive files but can;t ithe other IMs.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    When I think about it, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Apple to make a webcam...but I kinda wish they would.

Most webcams today are USB, and pretty much suck. Firewire webcams have the potential to blow away all USB webcams, but there has always been a real disconnect between hardware and software.

I know that iChat was developed with video in mind. It would almost be a waste of time for Apple to have created a great videocon package if there isn't a decent camera for people to use.

I can invision an Apple Firewire webcam that works seamlessly with Panther, iChat, iMovie, Mail, Rendezvous and Airport. I don't know if this would be a huge success or not, but I definately think it's possible.

One design note: I always liked the design of the iRez Kritter Cams. The tripod-stlye legs were great for hanging it over the side of a laptop screen. Unfortunately all of Apple's laptops feature nearly edge-to-edge LCD screens. Not much room to clip a webcam onto. I'd hope that, if Apple were to design a camera, they could come up with one that attaches as easily to its Studio/Cinema displays as it does to its laptops.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Apple has a webcam coming out that will be for purchase with use for iChat 2.0 It might be a little bit but you will see.

It will be firewire.

They also had prototype LCD displays that had the camera built into the frame of the 24 inch displays. hopefully we'll get an option like this too.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    (sigh) Please Apple....don't put the camera in the display. I don't think people want to ship their display back to fix the camera.

I admit that Apple rolled its own with Airport....but that just allowed it to be easily configurable through your Mac. You can configure other ones like Linksys (now Cisco?), but if I recall its some clunky web browser interface.

The iPod made sense...because it was better than anything out at the time. What could Apple do with a webcam that would distiguish it from any other? Rendezvous? Thats supposedly being implemented in consumer electronics now. I dunno. I feel like I'm turning into Matsu, except my battle cry is FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS and not PRICE PRICE PRICE......
  • Reply 12 of 32
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    And of course the Apple Airport Hub is just a reboxed Lucent hub... But in these days of outsourced manufacturing, Apple is not likely to make anything that a third party makes. Webcams, crappy though most are, are a pretty generic product available at low prices from dozens of vendors. Apple is not going to go into a market like that.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

And of course the Apple Airport Hub is just a reboxed Lucent hub... But in these days of outsourced manufacturing, Apple is not likely to make anything that a third party makes. Webcams, crappy though most are, are a pretty generic product available at low prices from dozens of vendors. Apple is not going to go into a market like that.

they will do a really good one for 99bucks i think..and they will sell like crazy
  • Reply 14 of 32
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    If Steve surprises us with an Apple branded webcam I do hope it will not be equipped with cables. No Firewire or USB here, please. This thing should operate via Bluetooth or Airport. This way I could place the camera anywhere in the house, anytime.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    If I want to use a webcam, I just plug my video camera into the Firewire port and scare people with the quality of the image...

Looks amazing, seriously.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    maybe two models then...there has to be a cheaper model that is firewire for 99 to 129 buck that looks great and works in osx native and easy (for us idiots that love the ABS for that same reason)...then maybe a more expensive model that is bluetooth...if apple only sells a bluetooth model they will have a hard time of it...

g
  • Reply 17 of 32
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Quick

If Steve surprises us with an Apple branded webcam I do hope it will not be equipped with cables. No Firewire or USB here, please. This thing should operate via Bluetooth or Airport. This way I could place the camera anywhere in the house, anytime.

A webcam with AirPort or Bluetooth would cost a whole lot more than usual for such a product. A product more likely for such features would be an ordinary digital camera. Agree?
  • Reply 18 of 32
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

A webcam with AirPort or Bluetooth would cost a whole lot more than usual for such a product. A product more likely for such features would be an ordinary digital camera. Agree?

There are cheaper MP3 players than the iPod. But the iPod is something very special and it sells very well. A wireless, stylish and tiny iCam from Apple would be something special too. And I predict it would sell like hot cakes. An ordinary digital camera like the Sony Cybershot DSC-FX77 with integrated Bluetooth is too expensive but nevertheless cool.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    airport wont happen because its just not standard

bluetooth neither - BUT ..i can see an ipod with bluetooth..not for filetransfers but a remotedevice...with a sonyericcson clicker app..i dunno..maybe...

back to the cam...there are 2 options for apple..either make a cheap one they can bundle with a new mac or a good one for umm..money

a good one has to be really good..so i dont expect something under 99 bucks...it has to be really easy functioning..and small so u can carry it around with ur notebook

my guess is..they want it to be standard...and build a cheap one

and that will make impact..steve wants that...every mac user from now on...can communicate over videochat..thats quiete cool huh? \
  • Reply 20 of 32
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cycle

back to the cam...there are 2 options for apple..either make a cheap one they can bundle with a new mac or a good one for umm..money

Apple has never been a "throw into the box" kind of company if you know what I mean.

If Apple start making web cams it will be a good one, and it will cost more than other web cams. I don't think bundled iCams is a good idea anyway. A lot of people own web cams already and some people neither have nor want one. It stupid to force people to pay for something they don't need.