Microsoft Windows 11 revealed with dramatic increase in system requirements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Microsoft has officially debuted Windows 11 with an all new user interface, the ability to run Android apps from the Amazon App store, and more.

Windows 11 has been announced
Windows 11 has been announced

Microsoft says that the Windows 11 redesign puts a focus on productivity, social, and entertainment features. The new design places the Start menu in the center of the dock not dissimilar to the macOS approach, and other additions allow for easy multitasking.

Live tiles have been removed in exchange for a simple app menu. As users open apps the Start button shifts to the left, and apps can be pinned to the bar.

New UI across system apps and search
New UI across system apps and search

Animations, sounds, and design have all been optimized for a more fluid experience. Snap Assist has a new UI that shows up when arranging windows in a grid.

Snap windows into different grids for easy multitasking
Snap windows into different grids for easy multitasking

Microsoft has committed fully to Teams, so Skype is no longer pre-installed. The "Chat" app in the Taskbar is powered by Teams and gives users the ability to chat with anyone on Windows. Connect an iPhone or Android smartphone to the PC to have texts relayed to the computer as well.

In a conversation with Joanna Stern of the Wall Street Journal, Microsoft Chief Executive Satya Nadella said he'd like to have improved iPhone compatibility on Windows. However, bringing iMessage or other services to Windows 11 would depend entirely on Apple, according to Nadella.

Tablets have improved window control and bigger touch targets. Microsoft has also added new swiping gestures for minimizing and maximizing apps.

The widget view acts as a news feed for up-to-the minute updates
The widget view acts as a news feed for up-to-the minute updates

The new Widget view houses calendars, weather, news, and other important information for easy access. Customize this view and use it as a personalized news feed.

Microsoft also says that it wants to encourage open commerce on its operating system. It will allow apps downloaded from the Windows Store to have independent commerce systems within the app. This differs from Apple's requirements to tie in-app purchases from App Store apps to Apple's commerce system.

Amazon's Android app store will also be available on the Windows 11 platform. After users sign in with their Amazon account, and install the Amazon Android App store through the Microsoft App Store, Android apps download and work as if they were Windows apps.

System Requirements

• A "modern 64-bit processor" according to Microsoft
  • 1Ghz clock speed
  • 2 cores
  • 64GB storage
  • 4GB RAM
  • UEFI, Secure Book capable & TPM 2.0
  • 9-inch display with 1366x768 resolution
  • DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
The system requirements state a 64-bit processor is required, but this doesn't mean 32-bit apps aren't supported. Windows 11 is still capable of running 32-bit apps, but the operating system itself will not run on 32-bit processors.

Microsoft's requirement of TPM 2.0 and other requirements will limit processors to ones delivered in approximately the last six years.

Microsoft says a beta period will begin for testers before the end of June with the release deploying in the fall of 2021. Anyone who owns Windows 10 will be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free as long as their computer meets the minimum requirements. Windows 7 and Windows 8 installs will not be eligible for the free update.

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too.If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    tmonlinetmonline Posts: 10member
    TPM chip requirement! Well, that may be a bummer for bootcamp/dual boot mac owners who like to have windows for work or other reasons.

Not sure if VMs can get around that, anyone? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    tmonline said:
    TPM chip requirement! Well, that may be a bummer for bootcamp/dual boot mac owners who like to have windows for work or other reasons.

That would be a bummer. I have several older Macs running Windows 10 Pro as servers for MySQL.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 103
    XedXed Posts: 2,507member
    MacPro said:
    tmonline said:

That would be a bummer. I have several older Macs running Windows 10 Pro as servers for MySQL.
    Why not run MySQL on macOS or Linux?
    coolfactorRayz2016StrangeDayskillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 103
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member

Microsoft also says that it wants to encourage open commerce on its operating system. It will allow apps downloaded from the Windows Store to have independent commerce systems within the app. This differs from Apple's requirements to tie in-app purchases from App Store apps to Apple's commerce system.

That's quite the contrast to Apple. Microsoft will collect 0% if a developer brings their own commerce system.
    lkruppelijahgPeza
  • Reply 5 of 103
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,230member
    MacPro said:
    tmonline said:

Yah, as Xed said, MySQL Server runs natively on macOS and Linux. You definitely don't need Windows for that.
    XedStrangeDayskillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 103
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Wow! That’s stupendous! More than enough reason to make the switch. Goodbye macOS and Macs. Hello Windows 11 and PC hardware. Life will be good.
    williamlondonpscooter63magman1979applguyPezawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 103
    Streaming/buffering issues aside, they made some very interesting/odd design choices. My money is on at least a few changes being made before actual release once they hear the outcry. (But I've certainly been wrong before when it comes to MS.)
    killroynarwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 103
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,293member
    KITA said:

That's quite the contrast to Apple. Microsoft will collect 0% if a developer brings their own commerce system.
    I don't think they are making much from their app store now, so, what have they got to lose in moving everything to Windows 11? Not much.
    cpsroRayz2016qwerty52macplusplusStrangeDayspscooter63Beatsjas99argonautkillroy
  • Reply 9 of 103
    KITA said:

Gosh, that almost sounds like there's competition in the OS sector. Say it isn't so! 
    williamlondonmagman1979Japheykillroynarwhalkestralwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 103
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,631member
    Typical Microsoft cannot get over themselves, thinking that focused = everything under the sun.

Gotta love the quote "Microsoft says that the Windows 11 redesign puts a focus on productivity, social, and entertainment features."

In others words, just another Windows release that tries to do everything OK. 

An also - looks like Redmond fired up their photocopiers once again... But it IS a vast improvement in aesthetics. Have to give them that. So keep on copying guys. It's helping. 
    williamlondonuraharaBeatsjas99magman1979killroyrundhvidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 103
    Xed said:
    MacPro said:
    tmonline said:

It's part of the opensource Opensimulator system, MySQL is just the database.  Much of the rest is Windows only.
    XedargonautGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 103
    My Dell XPS tower initially states in the Insider Program panel it doesn't pass.  However, after downloading the 'test app' it passed and that says I can run Windows 11 Yay!   I will be making a clone of the entire C drive first of course!

My Dell Xeon Server can't due to the lack of a decent GPU.  My 2013 Mac Pro can't when booted directly into Windows 10 (not using Boot Camp) due to no TPM module. So I am not going to bother testing any other Boot Camp or direct boot Macs or VMs.  It's pretty clear you need the decent GPU and the TPM plus the other conditions.

edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 103
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,189member
    macOS has a dock for 20+ years. 2021, Microsoft announces whiz-bang dock, where nothing stays where you put it.
    June 7, 2021, iPadOS 15 multitasking gets panned. June 24, 2021, Microsoft announces iPadOS 15-like multitasking.
    Apple lowers commissions. Microsoft lowers them further, in all-out effort to coerce more malware to the Mac.
    2020, Apple brings iOS apps to the Mac. 2021, Microsoft brings Android malware to Windows.
    edited June 2021 Xedqwerty52uraharacrossladpscooter63genovelleBeatsjas99argonautJosephAU
  • Reply 14 of 103
    XedXed Posts: 2,507member
    MacPro said:
    Xed said:
    MacPro said:
    tmonline said:

It's part of the opensource Opensimulator system, MySQL is just the database.  Much of the rest is Windows only.
    I haven't tried it but I believe OpenSimulator runs on Unix-like machines over the Mono framework, too.

Note: This isn't a statement that you should spend hours or days redoing a system that is already working for you. It's just a statement that there are options for macOS and Linux that you may not have been aware.
    edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingamtenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 103
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Interesting. There are brand new, multi-thousand-dollar Windows computers you can buy today which don't meet those requirements (the Toughbook's display is only 1024x768; it's like the anti-retina). Except for that requirement, I think all my machines currently running Windows 10 could be updated to 11. I'm not 100% sure all of them have WDDM 2 drivers.

Maybe this will be the kick Panasonic needs to finally improve the display's density!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 103
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    KITA said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Microsoft has always locked apps into their OS. I don't see it changing anytime soon. What they say doesn't always mean what ends up happening. Microsoft server and its client licenses are absolutely not free so they can say they have a free open commerce system but they will charge you somewhere along the road.
    hydrogenqwerty52genovelleBeatsjas99williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 103
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,239member
    tmonline said:

Check out https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702. Not the same as bootcamp. 

from Parallels--Note: this article applies only to the virtual machines running on Intel-based Mac computers. The use of TPM modules in Parallels Desktop virtual machines running on a Mac computer with Apple M1 chip will be introduced in future updates. --so there is the potential for it running sometime in the future. As for VMware/Fusion, not sure if VMWare will ever run on M1 platform.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 103
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    rob53 said:
    KITA said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Microsoft has always locked apps into their OS. I don't see it changing anytime soon. What they say doesn't always mean what ends up happening. Microsoft server and its client licenses are absolutely not free so they can say they have a free open commerce system but they will charge you somewhere along the road.
    This is what they've stated so far:
    Starting today, Windows developers can publish any kind of app, regardless of app framework and packaging technology – such as Win32, .NET, UWP, Xamarin, Electron, React Native, Java and even Progressive Web Apps. Developers can sign-up here to publish desktop apps, or build and package PWAs using our latest open-source tool PWABuilder 3.

Many developers love the Microsoft Commerce platform because of its simplicity, global distribution, platform integration and its competitive revenue share terms at 85/15 for apps and 88/12 for games.

Starting July 28, app developers will also have an option to bring their own or a third party commerce platform in their apps, and if they do so they don’t need to pay Microsoft any fee. They can keep 100% of their revenue.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/06/24/building-a-new-open-microsoft-store-on-windows-11/

Peza
  • Reply 19 of 103
    MacPro said:
    tmonline said:

Yah, as Xed said, MySQL Server runs natively on macOS and Linux. You definitely don't need Windows for that.
    As I already replied, yes I do because MySQL is only one part of the usage.  It's an Opensimulator server and much of the code is Windows only. MySQL is the back-end database for the Opensimulator code. http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 103
    Xed said:
    MacPro said:
    Xed said:
    MacPro said:
    tmonline said:

I haven't tried it but I believe OpenSimulator runs on Unix-like machines over the Mono framework, too.

Note: This isn't a statement that you should spend hours or days redoing a system that is already working for you. It's just a statement that there are options for macOS and Linux that you may not have been aware.
    True that, however, I use a system that is not compatible with Mono. https://github.com/Outworldz/Dreamworld