Doctor ignores default iOS parental controls, child racks up $1,800 in in-app purchases

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Just goes to shows you even when people are given what they need and scream have been screaming for, you still can not fix stupid.
    lkruppslow n easywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 45
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 138member
    Well it sucks for him but unfortunately being lax with his phone security has cost him.

I’m a parent too and my autistic son has a photographic memory so I have to be super careful with passcodes. I have one for my phone, one for his screentime (changed regularly) and one he knows for his ipad. App Store (on his ipad) is disabled and needs to be reenabled to buy something which then needs permission from my phone. Even my App Store needs permission for every purchase.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 45
    He looks rather arrogant in the file photo. Typical narcissist, blames everyone but himself. 
    rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 45
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Neither knew about iOS parental controls”

Why would a 7 year old know about parental controls? I also find it hard to believe that he’s been an Apple customer since 2005. Was this his first iPhone? Surely he must have used an app with IAP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 45
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,721member
    Sounds like they both learned a very important lesson.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 45
    XedXed Posts: 2,812member
    applguy said:
    “Neither knew about iOS parental controls”

Why would a 7 year old know about parental controls? I also find it hard to believe that he’s been an Apple customer since 2005. Was this his first iPhone? Surely he must have used an app with IAP.
    The iPhone launched in 2005 and he doesn't strike me as a Mac user, so I'm guessing that's referring to the iPod, if the 2005 year is accurate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 45
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    No sympathy for the Dr. There are many features to disable in app purchasing. if your kid takes the keys to your cars, drives off, and gets in an accident, you don’t blame the car maker. 
    citylightsapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 45
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    Why "Doctor ignores..." and not "Idiot ignores..." :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 45
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,346member
    Yep folks, it’s Apple’s responsibility to raise your kids now. People can’t be bothered to sign out of their AppleId before handing the device over to the kids. Sure a lot of the games for kids are shady with IAP, but come on, who’s the adult here, the parent or Apple?
    rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Couldn't help notice that the story was on The Daily Mail! 
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 45
    mr lizardmr lizard Posts: 354member
    The game is seriously called “Rise of Berk”? 

I guess the slang term Berk isn’t well known in other countries… 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mr lizard said:
    The game is seriously called “Rise of Berk”? 

I guess the slang term Berk isn’t well known in other countries… 
    It's based on the How To Train Your Dragon series, where characters have names including Hiccup, Tuffnut and Gobber.  I'm pretty sure it's deliberate.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 45
    If this dude can’t afford his offsprings purchases AS A DOCTOR then I hope I never have to need his services. I’d take my chances with a mafia doctor. 

He’s clearly not setup a kids account and just let the kid go for it. His responsibility - not Apples. And why isn’t he going for the Developers and not Apple? Moron!!! The only thing worse than poor people? Stupid poor people. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:
    LOL If you're this irrational about charges that you allowed to happen from being this irresponsible from not taking basic measures to protect your account with long-held, and well known practices and checks then you are not a physician I would trust. If you are so poor at managing your money that you need to sell your car over $1,800 than you are not a physician will trust*.

Note: Many years ago there were definitely issues with the system of which Apple was clearly culpable, but they resolved that lack of protections long ago.

* I think he probably had an extra car that he wasn't really using and decided to sell around the time of his own egregious oversight more so than he didn't have the funds to cover the cost, but either way it's not a good look for him.

It's only "irresponsible" after the fact -- and then only to a judgemental person.
    In reality, it can happen quite easily and many parents have been burned by it -- although not usually to this extent.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 45
    crowley said:
    Being able to spend that much in that short a space of time seems like it should require some sort of enhanced security.  I’m a little surprised his bank didn’t block the transaction.

But otherwise he isn’t accepting any responsibility for something that is at least partly, if not majorly his and his sons fault.  Not a whole lot of sympathy.
    Yes, this is not the first time this happened and it won't be the last.

A few years back I had to deal with this:  I had "ask to buy" turned on for my grandson who was running off of my credit card on the Family Sharing plan.   But it became too much of a hassle when, for instance, I would get asked in the middle of checking out in a grocery store and it was was either respond then or the request went away.   So, I turned "ask to buy" off and put him on the honor system -- which has worked out (knock on wood) pretty well so far. 

But, Apple could definitely clean up their one and only control here -- "ask to buy".  For instance they could send the request as an iMessage instead of an Apple Notification.   That would give the respondee a better chance to respond.  

Another check was when I used a bank card for iTunes:  I received a text message anytime a charge was made.   Had the father had this working he would have been alerted to the repeat charges. 

Yes, the father could have done better and so could the kid.   But the same is true for Apple.  The current setup is not the best they could do -- especially as these in-app purchases are becoming so incredibly expensive and developers use "free games" to lure kids into their lair. 

Apple needs to up its game here.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Xed said:
    LOL If you're this irrational about charges that you allowed to happen from being this irresponsible from not taking basic measures to protect your account with long-held, and well known practices and checks then you are not a physician I would trust. If you are so poor at managing your money that you need to sell your car over $1,800 than you are not a physician will trust*.

Note: Many years ago there were definitely issues with the system of which Apple was clearly culpable, but they resolved that lack of protections long ago.

* I think he probably had an extra car that he wasn't really using and decided to sell around the time of his own egregious oversight more so than he didn't have the funds to cover the cost, but either way it's not a good look for him.
    It's only "irresponsible" after the fact -- and then only to a judgemental person.
    In reality, it can happen quite easily and many parents have been burned by it -- although not usually to this extent.
    It's irresponsible before the fact. Your inability to think even one move ahead does explain a great deal. You're like the guy arguing that `password123` is perfectly secure because you've never had an account compromised, but then cries woes me about how unlucky you are in life and why all the bad things always unfairly happen to you when you are inevitably hacked.

"Fortune favors the prepared mind." — Louis Pasteur
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 45
    I wouldn't let this dipshit treat me for ingrown nails... it is really dumb that he went and got his name and picture published. My kids (4 and 7 years old) come to me full of regret when they accidentally just try to make a purchase, because they know they'd have to talk to me first, before I get the "Ask to buy" notification. It's not difficult to teach young kids to be responsible about money.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

It's irresponsible before the fact. Your inability to think even one move ahead does explain a great deal. You're like the guy arguing that `password123` is perfectly secure because you've never had an account compromised, but then cries woes me about how unlucky you are in life and why all the bad things always unfairly happen to you when you are inevitably hacked.

LOL....  No, it's only irresponsible after the fact.
    Because you are perfect and never ever make a mistake or never fail to predict that something might, maybe happen doesn't mean that everybody is as perfect as you are -- or as egotistical.

But, I admit I am jealous of all you perfect rightious ones.   Me?  I have to carry insurance on car, my home - even my phone because, well, shit happens.

edited June 2021 muthuk_vanalingamrezwits
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

Because you are perfect and never ever make a mistake or never fail to predict that something might, maybe happen doesn't mean that everybody is as perfect as you are -- or as egotistical.

But, I admit I am jealous of all you perfect rightious ones.   Me?  I have to carry insurance on car, my home - even my phone because, well, shit happens.

Being proactive is carrying insurance. Unfortunately, many wouldn't have it on their automobile if it wasn't mandatory, and most are woefully underinsured. Hopefully you're proactive in that sense, even if you are admittedly lacking in others.

I hold out hope that one day you understand that not wearing a seatbelt is irresponsible in the inaction, not only after a horrible collision has occurred.
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:

Being proactive is carrying insurance. Unfortunately, many wouldn't have it on their automobile if it wasn't mandatory, and most are woefully underinsured. Hopefully you're proactive in that sense, even if you are admittedly lacking in others.

I hold out hope that one day you understand that not wearing a seatbelt is irresponsible in the inaction, not only after a horrible collision has occurred.
    How's it like to be perfect?  To have never made an error?   Please explain that to us humans.