Doctor ignores default iOS parental controls, child racks up $1,800 in in-app purchases

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    XedXed Posts: 2,812member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    LOL If you're this irrational about charges that you allowed to happen from being this irresponsible from not taking basic measures to protect your account with long-held, and well known practices and checks then you are not a physician I would trust. If you are so poor at managing your money that you need to sell your car over $1,800 than you are not a physician will trust*.

Note: Many years ago there were definitely issues with the system of which Apple was clearly culpable, but they resolved that lack of protections long ago.

* I think he probably had an extra car that he wasn't really using and decided to sell around the time of his own egregious oversight more so than he didn't have the funds to cover the cost, but either way it's not a good look for him.
    It's only "irresponsible" after the fact -- and then only to a judgemental person.
    In reality, it can happen quite easily and many parents have been burned by it -- although not usually to this extent.
    It's irresponsible before the fact. Your inability to think even one move ahead does explain a great deal. You're like the guy arguing that `password123` is perfectly secure because you've never had an account compromised, but then cries woes me about how unlucky you are in life and why all the bad things always unfairly happen to you when you are inevitably hacked.

"Fortune favors the prepared mind." — Louis Pasteur
    LOL....  No, it's only irresponsible after the fact.
    Because you are perfect and never ever make a mistake or never fail to predict that something might, maybe happen doesn't mean that everybody is as perfect as you are -- or as egotistical.

But, I admit I am jealous of all you perfect rightious ones.   Me?  I have to carry insurance on car, my home - even my phone because, well, shit happens.

Being proactive is carrying insurance. Unfortunately, many wouldn't have it on their automobile if it wasn't mandatory, and most are woefully underinsured. Hopefully you're proactive in that sense, even if you are admittedly lacking in others.

I hold out hope that one day you understand that not wearing a seatbelt is irresponsible in the inaction, not only after a horrible collision has occurred.
    How's it like to be perfect?  To have never made an error?   Please explain that to us humans.
    It's curious that you think proactive means perfect. I wish your reading comprehension was better. It makes it very difficult to not treat you like an out-and-out troll at times.
    ronnfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,499member
    How terrible of Apple to force this child to steal his dad’s AppleID password, and to force the dad to enact exactly ZERO of the numerous preventative measures that would have stopped this dead in its tracks!

I’d be the first person to say that games aimed at kids should have no in-app purchases whatsoever, but that was a decision by the developer not Apple. More specifically, that was a decision by parents like this guy who refuse to pay money for children’s games, so almost their only option is freemium games.

I sincerely hope his legal action is laughed out of court as it should be. Metaphorically speaking, you handed your child a gun, and are now surprised that he fired it.
    edited July 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    LOL If you're this irrational about charges that you allowed to happen from being this irresponsible from not taking basic measures to protect your account with long-held, and well known practices and checks then you are not a physician I would trust. If you are so poor at managing your money that you need to sell your car over $1,800 than you are not a physician will trust*.

Note: Many years ago there were definitely issues with the system of which Apple was clearly culpable, but they resolved that lack of protections long ago.

* I think he probably had an extra car that he wasn't really using and decided to sell around the time of his own egregious oversight more so than he didn't have the funds to cover the cost, but either way it's not a good look for him.
    It's only "irresponsible" after the fact -- and then only to a judgemental person.
    In reality, it can happen quite easily and many parents have been burned by it -- although not usually to this extent.
    It's irresponsible before the fact. Your inability to think even one move ahead does explain a great deal. You're like the guy arguing that `password123` is perfectly secure because you've never had an account compromised, but then cries woes me about how unlucky you are in life and why all the bad things always unfairly happen to you when you are inevitably hacked.

"Fortune favors the prepared mind." — Louis Pasteur
    LOL....  No, it's only irresponsible after the fact.
    Because you are perfect and never ever make a mistake or never fail to predict that something might, maybe happen doesn't mean that everybody is as perfect as you are -- or as egotistical.

But, I admit I am jealous of all you perfect rightious ones.   Me?  I have to carry insurance on car, my home - even my phone because, well, shit happens.

Being proactive is carrying insurance. Unfortunately, many wouldn't have it on their automobile if it wasn't mandatory, and most are woefully underinsured. Hopefully you're proactive in that sense, even if you are admittedly lacking in others.

I hold out hope that one day you understand that not wearing a seatbelt is irresponsible in the inaction, not only after a horrible collision has occurred.
    How's it like to be perfect?  To have never made an error?   Please explain that to us humans.
    It's curious that you think proactive means perfect. I wish your reading comprehension was better. It makes it very difficult to not treat you like an out-and-out troll at times.

No, my reading comprehension is fine.  It's your hubris that I wonder about.

But, on the other hand, I apologize to you:   You were not the only one coming down insultingly hard on this father for suffering what many fathers have, I am very sure, already suffered.  I should not have singled you out.
    edited July 2021
  • Reply 44 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    chasm said:
    How terrible of Apple to force this child to steal his dad’s AppleID password, and to force the dad to enact exactly ZERO of the numerous preventative measures that would have stopped this dead in its tracks!

I’d be the first person to say that games aimed at kids should have no in-app purchases whatsoever, but that was a decision by the developer not Apple. More specifically, that was a decision by parents like this guy who refuse to pay money for children’s games, so almost their only option is freemium games.

I sincerely hope his legal action is laughed out of court as it should be. Metaphorically speaking, you handed your child a gun, and are now surprised that he fired it.

Yeh, that's true.  He could have done better.   It's also true that Apple could have also.