new info from macbidouille : 2.3GHz !

Comments

• Reply 141 of 163
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    So, is DDR400 actually going to be as available in Setember as this implies?
  • Reply 142 of 163
    wwworkwwwork Posts: 140member
    Maybe this chip and these machines will help end the idea of "photographic truth". That's something big.
  • Reply 143 of 163
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    From macsurfer : "New PowerMacs 970 to be announced at WWDC" SecretMac

Did anyone read it? The site isn't available now.
  • Reply 144 of 163
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    From Secretmac:

Quote:

Processor : single 1.4 ghz, single 1.6 ghz and dual 1.8 ghz

Drives : Combo (1.4ghz), DVD-R (1.6 ghz) and DVD-R (dual)

HD : ATA 133 interface

Expansion : PCI-X

ports : Firewire 800 and USB 2

Wireless : bluetooth and airport extreme

RAM : 4 DDR slots (Ram modules have to be paired)

Others :Hypertransport motherboard

Enclosure : new silver enclosure

The prices are expected to be the same as the current tower line....

I am telling myself to wait until the midrange is DP, but I do not know if I will be listening
  • Reply 145 of 163
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

From Secretmac:

I am telling myself to wait until the midrange is DP, but I do not know if I will be listening

If that spec is true I will wait for the dual 2Ghz comes out
  • Reply 146 of 163
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

If that spec is true I will wait for the dual 2Ghz comes out

Leonis, don't you want to sell your slowsilver asap ?

are you sure you can wait that long ?
  • Reply 147 of 163
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    In my ignorance, I'm fairly certain of one family of apps that would require 64bit computing: game developing tools. I remember reading a couple of weeks ago (sorry, looked for the URL everywhere, but couldn't find it) a blog... Maybe from the developers at id/Doom or Epic/Unreal2, don't quite remember... Anyway, this developer was actually bashing an Intel statement which sort of said "32 bits are enough for everybody".

He complained that designing whole worlds in 3D was already becoming difficult on current Xeon systems (36bit addressing, IIRC?), because of the RAM limit. And since the tools he used were developed in-house for Windows he was basically saying he'd switch to Hammer right away (well, as soon as MS ships Win for that platform).

Playing those games is of course a different story, but it looks like those developers/designers might truly benefit from 64bit CPUs... Nevermind that games are usually designed on Windows and then simply ported to OS X!

With the notable exception of Ambrosia! Moki, is it true Apeiron's finally coming to OS X?

ZoSo
  • Reply 148 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

The specs seem to be the following :

Processor : single 1.4 ghz, single 1.6 ghz and dual 1.8 ghz

Drives : Combo (1.4ghz), DVD-R (1.6 ghz) and DVD-R (dual)

HD : ATA 133 interface

Expansion : PCI-X

ports : Firewire 800 and USB 2

Wireless : bluetooth and airport extreme

RAM : 4 DDR slots (Ram modules have to be paired)

Others :Hypertransport motherboard

Enclosure : new silver enclosure

Hmmm, what's wrong with this? Oh yes, no S-ATA... How are we going to use the fastest desktop drive in the world then?

Maybe going 100% S-ATA wouldn't be too smart, but leaving it out completely would sure be dumb!

ZoSo
  • Reply 149 of 163
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoSo

Hmmm, what's wrong with this? Oh yes, no S-ATA... How are we going to use the fastest desktop drive in the world then?

Maybe going 100% S-ATA wouldn't be too smart, but leaving it out completely would sure be dumb!

ZoSo

I don't understand your conclusion. I read the article. It says this drive is being marketed toward enterprise business not desktop computers although it works well in that niche. It sounds like a very special drive for a special few individuals. If you want want bad enough you could get a Serial ATA PCI card.
  • Reply 150 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I don't understand your conclusion. I read the article. It says this drive is being marketed toward enterprise business not desktop computers although it works well in that niche. It sounds like a very special drive for a special few individuals. If you want want bad enough you could get a Serial ATA PCI card.

My conclusion was that omitting S-ATA completely from the new motherboards would be an incredibly foolish move. True, that drive is high end-ish right now, but in 6 months? In 12? It's not that nobody saw S-ATA coming, and the guys at Apple didn't have time or forgot to implement it... My conclusion is that somebody at Apple is clearly on drugs if those specs--and more specifically S-ATA absence--are true; however I strongly believe those specs, because of S-ATA absence are utter rubbish.

It wouldn't make too much sense, would it? Tomorrow's processor, yesterday storage, last week's graphics? I, FWIW, am not going to buy without S-ATA: a 970-based machine that I'd buy would have to last for at least five years, and in 5 years S-ATA will be a must. Speaking of graphics, anybody would dare to speculate on the GPU the 970s will sport? Hopefully that ridiculous GeForce4 MX will disappear altogether from the lineup...

ZoSo
  • Reply 151 of 163
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

ZoSo

Not only that, but in one of these 970 threads it was mentioned that the scaling multiplier would not likely add up to 1.6ghz. That's what we would expect [non-techy types] because of the natural Apple-bump-tradition, but not in the scaling of the 970. So it's BS to me.
  • Reply 152 of 163
    overtoastyovertoasty Posts: 439member
    Quote:

ZoSo

... that is, unless of course, implimenting serial ATA is substantially more difficult than implimenting ATA 133, in which case, it might delay your desperately needed 970 release due to bugs and extended beta testing.

I have no idea if it's more difficult or not, but if it is, Apple can't afford any more delays right now, in which case, sacrificing on the difference between ATA 133 and S ATA in order to get the 970 out the door in a timely matter, is probably a price worth paying.

They can always spend the next few months safely debugging an S ATA mobo for the next mild revision, while the 133 970 mobo is already out the door, I don't think many people are going to delay a purchase of a 970 simply because it doesn't have S ATA.
  • Reply 153 of 163
    Quote:

Originally posted by OverToasty

I have no idea if it's more difficult or not, but if it is, Apple can't afford any more delays right now, in which case, sacrificing on the difference between ATA 133 and S ATA in order to get the 970 out the door in a timely matter, is probably a price worth paying.

Agreed. If they announce it at WWDC with immediate availability.

If the 970 appears on the shelves in November then it's another story. And as I said it's not that S-ATA is some unexpected technology that now they're trying to adopt in a hurry. All High-end PC mobos have a dedicated S-ATA controller, and by this summer it'll be integrated in the Southbridge. I'm only saying that it'd be nice for once to have all the "new cool things" together...

RAID baby, RAID!!!

ZoSo
  • Reply 154 of 163
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    iirc, Apple and IBM are working together on the 970 since 2000.

So since then Apple must have a lot of time to create a new mobo.

And if not ?

They can still look at the nForce2 mobo who was introduced July 16, 2002.

nForce 2 mobo has : HyperTransport, DualDDR 400 memory subsystem (6,4 GBps bandwidth), AGP 8X, USB 2, FireWire 400, Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding/decoding, Ultra ATA 133 (a lot of system builder like Asus put SATA 150 also)

I think we will see the same big differences with the Power Mac 970 & the G4 than in the B/W G3 and the last 604e.

Remember:

604e_________G3_____________G4_______________970

50 MHz Bus___100 MHz Bus____167 (2.7 GBps)______? (6.4 GBps)

SCSI_________ATA 33________ATA 100____________SATA 150

DIMM________PC100_________PC2700____________PC3200

4MB VRAM___PCI16 VRAM_____AGP 4X__________AGP 8X

Floppy_______USB___________USB______________USB 2

ADB/Serial____FireWire________FireWire 800_______FW800

Ethernet 10___Ethernet 100____Eth.10/100/1000____idem ditto
  • Reply 155 of 163
    oops
  • Reply 156 of 163
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Please fix the link. It comes up Error 404 file not found.
  • Reply 157 of 163
    oops again
  • Reply 158 of 163
    O, crap, sorry guys... I posted the above in the wrong thread... terribly sorry... gawd...stupid!!!!!!!
  • Reply 159 of 163
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    lol
  • Reply 160 of 163
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Warning: I haven't read all the pages of this thread so, as eBay says, caveat emptor

Ok, so we have all the exciting speculation about the wonderful guts of a new PowerMac, the 970, but... where is the sex? It just wouldn't be Apple style to release a revolutionary new Mac without giving it a new distinct case (and let's face it, we've had the current tower disign for ages now).

Any ideas or rumours about the new case design?