Apple to restore mask requirement at Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple plans to reinstate a safety precaution at its brick-and-mortar retail stores that will require both customers and staff to wear masks, even those who are fully vaccinated.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The reimplementation of mask mandates, which will take effect Thursday across the U.S., comes amid a surge in COVID-19 cases driven by the more infectious Delta variant, Bloomberg reported Wednesday.

According to an internal memo to employees obtained by Bloomberg, Apple will begin requiring masks at more than half of about 270 U.S. Apple Store locations.

"After carefully reviewing the latest CDC recommendations, and analyzing the health and safety data for your local area, we are updating our guidance on face masks for your store," Apple wrote in the memo, stating that it is making the change "out of an abundance of caution."

Additionally, Apple urged retail staff members to get vaccinated, though it is not currently requiring vaccinations among its employees.

The move comes a little over a month after Apple dropped customer mask requirements across its U.S. brick-and-mortar locations in June. That decision was short-lived, as the company in July began to encouraged retail staffers to wear masks and required face coverings in areas where local regulations mandated them.

Earlier in July, a report indicated that Apple was planning on testing a hybrid work model for retail employees that would see staffers work some weeks in-store and others at home handling customer service requests and online sales.

Apple CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday also confirmed that the company would delay requiring corporate staffers to return to the office. Previously, Apple said it would require employees to work some days in-person starting in September. Now, that timeline has been pushed back until at least October.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Comments should be fun. 
    napoleon_phoneapartpulseimagesOferdjames4242seanjAlex_VGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 28
    That’s such a PITA! 
  • Reply 3 of 28
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    The correct decision. Or they could ask to see your Covid vaccination certificate in your Apple wallet with no need to wear a mask in the store.
    MplsPnapoleon_phoneapartOferp-dogLoveNotch_n_AirPodsseanjAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Shouldn't have gotten rid of them in the first place.
    elijahgOferp-dogbaconstangfotoformat
  • Reply 5 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    That’s such a PITA! 
    No, it’s a PITA that we had every opportunity to be done with this pandemic and a bunch of selfish idiots managed to mess it up 
    napoleon_phoneapartelijahgOferp-dogbaconstangfotoformatRayz2016djames4242Alex_VGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 28
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    That’s such a PITA! 
    It takes 2 seconds to put the mask on. How is it "such a PITA"?
    Oferp-dognapoleon_phoneapartAlex_VMplsP
  • Reply 7 of 28
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    No big deal.
    p-dogelijahgbaconstangAlex_V
  • Reply 8 of 28
    elijahg said:
    That’s such a PITA! 
    It’s not necessary if you’re vaccinated. 
  • Reply 9 of 28
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Good. I still wear a mask indoors and I’ve been vaccinated for a couple months now 
    baconstangAlex_VGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 28
    elijahg said:
    That’s such a PITA! 
    For you. Other people exist.
    elijahgp-dog
  • Reply 11 of 28
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    The correct decision. Or they could ask to see your Covid vaccination certificate in your Apple wallet with no need to wear a mask in the store.
    Well, unfortunately there are reports that the CDC is saying that fully vaccinated people can transmit the virus.   Hopefully the combination of current and future vaccines pending proper testing, combined with herd immunity, will bring the pandemic to an end.
    Alex_Vsphericrobaba
  • Reply 12 of 28
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    M68000 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Well, unfortunately there are reports that the CDC is saying that fully vaccinated people can transmit the virus.   Hopefully the combination of current and future vaccines pending proper testing, combined with herd immunity, will bring the pandemic to an end.
    The cdc is relying on a research paper from India that failed peer review. Also, the paper looked at the Astra Zeneca vaccine, which is not used in the US. 
    In addition,  CDC is going to stop using PCR tests because they generate too many false positives. 
    edited July 2021 sdw2001
  • Reply 13 of 28
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Thanks,  nevertheless CDC website suggests wearing masks.   Perhaps there could be more to it than a single “paper” from India.  I think it’s probably true that most big companies take their guidance on the virus from the CDC,  so it is what it is.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 14 of 28
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    hexclock said:
    M68000 said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    The cdc is relying on a research paper from India that failed peer review. Also, the paper looked at the Astra Zeneca vaccine, which is not used in the US. 
    In addition,  CDC is going to stop using PCR tests because they generate too many false positives. 
    I am calling bulls#lt on that “report”. That website (justthenews.com) is a conspiratorial, pro-Trump pseudo-journalistic outfit of less than dubious quality. It is found to be loaded with conspiracy theories & propaganda and has failed numerous fact checks. They have published misinformation during the corona virus outbreak and have been cited many times for doing so. Therefore their anti-CDC screed is invalid.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/just-the-news/

edited July 2021 Alex_Vsphericrobabaricmac
  • Reply 15 of 28
    MplsP said:
    That’s such a PITA! 
    No, it’s a PITA that we had every opportunity to be done with this pandemic and a bunch of selfish idiots managed to mess it up 
    Yeah, and that won't change until they face consequences.
    elijahg said:
    That’s such a PITA! 
    Not according to the posted story. It says vaccinated people will be forced to also. 
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    I'd be down for this. This way the anti-vaxxers will face consequences and the rest of us have a choice.

Back to not going into stores unless I have to. Was nice going to the new Apple Store in my city (was last there for iPhone 12 launch and it was akin to a toll booth setup). Won't be back until they can let me in without a mask. Was vaccinated in Feb and the only ones being inconvenienced are the responsible ones, all so spineless politicians don't have to anger the irresponsible ones by making them face consequences (apart from fear of death since that obviously doesn't work on them).
    edited July 2021 p-dog
  • Reply 16 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jungmark said:
    Good. I still wear a mask indoors and I’ve been vaccinated for a couple months now 

While the virus produces pulmonary problems, it also often impacts the vascular and neurologic systems as well -- sometimes with life changing consequences (such as the head of security of White House who lost his leg to the virus).

While it's true that the vaccine reduces the chances of contracting serious (pulmonary) symptoms, I just don't want to mess with it. 
    So, I'll try to increase my chances of staying disease free as best I can.

Yesterday in the Apple Store I think I was the only customer with a mask on.
    Wearing a mask while others don't gives you only half the protection -- but half is better than none.
    Plus, I always wear a fitted, medical grade surgical mask (and, in higher risk situations I go to an kN95 mask for even better protection).

I am hoping Apple provides their staff with higher quality masks than those silly DIY cloth things.

Alex_V
  • Reply 17 of 28
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from the virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.

Japhey
  • Reply 18 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    JWSC said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from the virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.

The main purpose of vaccines is to develop herd immunity and eliminate a disease -- like we did with polio, smallpox and others.
    But the anti-vaxxers and right wingers are causing the virus to spread and to mutate -- and will not only kill more thousands of Americans but they will likely take our economy down again as well.

They did it once.  They'll do it again.
    (Which is fine by me:   I made a ton of money in the market as a result of their foolishness.  But, I'm greedy.  I want more!)

Meanwhile though:  A vaccinated person is much less likely to become infected and less likely to develop serious illness if they do.  Likewise they are far less likely to infect others.   But nothing is fool proof.

• Reply 19 of 28
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    That’s such a PITA! 
    Do you mean unvaccinated people? It’s their problem at this point. Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    sdw2001 said:
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    That’s such a PITA! 
    Do you mean unvaccinated people? It’s their problem at this point. Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one.
    No. Not everyone can. Other people exist.
    elijahg