Apple debuts redesigned online store with dedicated 'Store' tab

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:
    elijahg said:
    Why does the content always align with the left side of the top menu? Looks pretty stupid at anything wider than 1024 pixels...

What you're seeing is a very common design pattern -- a centered content column. But in this case the "cards" scroll horizontally, so they continue to the right. Or the left:

You can find this design pattern everywhere. Like on this very website:

You'd think they'd have tried looking tab their own website on their own Pro Display XDR, in which case they'd have seen how weird it looks.
    How do you mean weird? Countless websites have a centered content column. Like AI's homepage. 

And Yahoo:

And Amazon:

And CNN:

And MacRumors:

...it's not weird. It's an extremely common design pattern that's over a decade old. 

Have you never maximized your browser on any popular website before? Very confused how you folks think this is new or unique to Apple. The only difference is Apple's Store page has "cards" that scroll horizontally across the width...but it's the same centered column:

You're missing the point, there are parts that extend outside that central column which makes the whole design unbalanced. The red box you drew to highlight the Apple column isn't even in the centre, so you just proved my point. The central column doesn't have enough visual cues on the right for it to look like a column, and your mistake only highlights that. I didn't realise it was a column until I scrolled down.

The site is fine once horizontally scrolled, but weird until that point. The rest of the site isn't like it save for the occasional arm or something extending right. Centrally positioned horizontal <divs> would be fine, like in the iPhone page you showed - because it's balanced, it is extended left and right. Exactly none of the sites you posted a picture of is the same as Apple's design. Nothing extends further right outside the centre column. It'd be like having "juiciest Apple rumors" in the AI screenshot having several more columns extending off to the right. Doesn't look right because it's unbalanced.

It in fact gets worse the more you vertically scroll because all of a sudden all of the horizontal scrolls start 1/3 the way across the page and extend off the right side. Looks stupid like you're zoomed into a portion of the page. Please do point out another website that does this.
    Incorrect. While I made the screen capture from my free-sized browser window, not a maximized window, all you have to do is open it in your own window maximize it to see that it’s centered — using the top header as the guide. It’s 1700px on either side. Very similar to AI, which is about 1500px on either side. 

Apple:

Apple Insider:

You are grasping at straws very, very hard. But I understand - you are upset. Outraged. Apple didn’t run their horizontally-scrolling cards by you first!
    Except, it's not - as you highlighted in your original post. Any time the window is > 1024 pixels the content isn't centred. I notice you ignored the screenshot I posted when scrolled further down, no excuses for that? Twice now you've tried to change the part of the site we're talking about. And now you've moved the highlights to support your point, using the header - which isn't what we are talking about - after having your highlights wrong in the first place. That's hilarious, so desperate are you to defend Apple of all criticism you ignore the fact that you too were fooled by the non-centred column. 

Here look I've merged the two to show how you moved your own highlighting. Thanks for the laugh!

edited August 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    From realitck on macrumors:

Beware of the bad link https://www.apple.com/us/shop/goto/store on Apple main URL hierarchy

s/b https://www.apple.com/store
    store.apple.com works quite well. 
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Suggestion: Add an Apple Store tab to the App Store app on Mac OS, iOS, iPad OS and Watch OS. Currently there is no way to see let alone buy new Apple hardware in the App Store. Apple users love seeing new Apple hardware (myself included) and this will likely cause them to buy more Apple products.
    Hey Apple, this suggestion is worth about a billion dollars. Feel free to throw some of it my way.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Hmm. Tried the new Store page. I don't even know how to use it. There is stuff off the page to the right. There is no way to scroll to see it. If I click and drag on one of the tiles, I can drag it around the screen but nothing else happens. I am confused!
    Edit: Found it. If you hover over the tile on the right, a light gray arrow appears allowing you to scroll. This has to be one of the most klunky UIs I have ever used on the web. Come on Apple. If you get one thing right it has to be the design of the web page that you use to sell stuff. There are plenty of great ways to scroll web content. Find one that works and is a delight to use.
    edited August 2021 elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam