Affinity creative apps update makes some tasks up to 10 times faster

Posted:
in General Discussion
Serif has announced new updates to its Affinity creative apps that optimize memory to increase performance and make some tasks much faster.

Credit: Serif
Credit: Serif

The new Affinity v1.10 update applies to Affinity Publisher, Affinity Designer, and Affinity Photo. According to Serif, some creative tasks are up to 10 times quicker than in the previous version.

For example, a rewrite of the memory management system in Affinity Publisher now allows for even more massive documents -- including those with thousands of pages and many gigabytes' worth of linked images -- to offer instant load times, smooth editing, and speedy scroll, zoom, and pan.

Serif has also given Affinity Designer the same treatment. The company says the app is now capable of rendering complex documents up to 10 times faster. That includes documents that have "potentially ... hundreds of thousands of objects."

Affinity Photo, Serif's answer to Adobe Photoshop, has also seen a significant performance overhaul. The platform is now more efficient when blending layers together while retaining a non-destructive workflow.

Additionally, there are now other tweaks across the Affinity app, including updates aimed at stability and general under-the-hood improvements.

"We're proud that the Affinity apps already offer class-leading speeds in many tasks, and for our latest update we wanted to take a step back and really see what further levels of performance we could achieve," said Ashley Hewson, Managing Director at Serif. "It's turned out that some of those optimizations have had a huge impact, particularly on very large complex documents."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ps10405ps10405 Posts: 12member
    It would be nice if they could improve launch performance of Affinity Photo from 20 seconds (M1 MacBook Air) to something reasonable. Even Excel launches in under two seconds.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    davdav Posts: 115member
    Affinity Photo launched just as fast as Adobe Photoshop on my older iMac -- roughly 5 seconds.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ArpLArpL Posts: 7member
    ps10405 said:
    It would be nice if they could improve launch performance of Affinity Photo from 20 seconds (M1 MacBook Air) to something reasonable. Even Excel launches in under two seconds.
    They did, Photo opens on my M1 iMac in 2-3s (human guesstimate, not an actual measurement).
    dav
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ArpL said:
    ps10405 said:
    They did, Photo opens on my M1 iMac in 2-3s (human guesstimate, not an actual measurement).
    They didn't, hence my post.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 618member
    ps10405 said:
    ArpL said:
    ps10405 said:
    Given that there are now multiple people saying the opposite of what you said, you seem to be the odd one out. Which makes it likely that it is something on your end.
    dav
  • Reply 6 of 10
    michelb76 said:
    ps10405 said:
    ArpL said:
    ps10405 said:
    Given that there are now multiple people saying the opposite of what you said, you seem to be the odd one out. Which makes it likely that it is something on your end.
    Try again.

https://forum. affinity. serif. com/index.php?/topic/146958-110-affinity-photo-is-slow-to-start/
  • Reply 7 of 10
    My experience with a 2017 Intel iMac: Affinity apps do launch slowly on the 1st startup after an update. My guess is that the software is going through some sort of routine on the initial startup that is related to the update and that's why it's so slow. Subsequent launches will be much shorter.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    All I need is for Designer to be able to import/export .dxf. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’ve been using Affinity Photo as a replacement for Photoshop for a while now, though I’m not doing large or complex tasks yet (my visual arts impulses have suffered).

On my iPad, I found it intolerably buggy (to the point where I don’t even know if it ever got any better because I have installed updates but haven’t actually used it in over a year).

On Mac OS, it’s been decent though sluggish (and some bugs are annoying, but not catastrophic as on iPad). The news of improved performance is very welcome news indeed. I hope things continue to improve.

At this point, aside from still learning the workflow differences, the only things I miss from Photoshop are arcane file types support (many), the Smart Sharpen filter, and I was not at all impressed with the raw image handling (at least with my Canon CR2 files; I actually resorted to installing Canon’s horrible software because it handles the camera raw data perfectly).

Adobe completely jumped the shark and shit the bed with their subscription-only model. The greedy bastards can keep their bloated software to themselves.

What I still need is a QUALITY audio editor. Still to this day, even with it being fumbled by Sony and generally undeveloped while also price-gouging via the current owner, nothing beats Sound Forge for audio editing. The Mac OS version is an absolute insult to the name. It is NOT Sound Forge!!

Nothing else even comes close. Worse, most audio editing apps on the Mac aren’t even tolerable. Adobe Audition is weird but tolerable, but there’s that whole customer abuse via subscription model greed thing.

I don’t want the Affinity products to suffer because of extensive diversification, but I also wouldn’t mind if Serif kicked Adobe in the crotch one more time and made something to seriously challenge Adobe Audition on the Mac...

NO, I do NOT consider Audacity to be acceptable.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    davdav Posts: 115member
    ps10405 said:

Try again.

Okay.  I shut down Affinity Photo, clicked on it's icon in my dock, and it launched and was ready to go in approximately 5 seconds.  Seems fine.