German government wants Tim Cook to reconsider CSAM plans

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    zimmie said:
    jido said:

The Messages update may be more nefarious, don't want to notify authorities about what images I receive.
    Well, since it doesn't do that, you have nothing to worry about. If you were under 13 years old and your parent had opted in to this feature in your Family account, you'd have to worry about your parents (not authorities) getting notified, and your device would warn you first that that's about to happen if you proceed to send/receive nudes. Are you twelve? Is your parent going to turn this on? No? Then don't worry about it.
    Strictly, the first question should be "Are your parents going to tell Apple you're 12?" To the best of my knowledge, Apple doesn't do any verification of the actual age of child accounts. That part is definitely open to abuse, and is likely to wind up outing some LGBT teens to their less-than-understanding parents.

Only applies to Messages, though, and there are plenty of other services.
    There are all sorts of ways parental controls or other mechanisms can be potentially abused by bad actors. Does that mean we shouldn’t build any controls? No. 

Also, the child in question is given a choice by the system that allows them to avoid the situation you describe by not proceeding.
    Where did I say the control shouldn't exist?
  • Reply 42 of 42
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 242member
    mSak said:
    It’s a total slippery slope. While Apple promises not to let rogue governments force it to do anything that isn’t palatable, let’s look at the U.S. The Trump administration was one of the least palatable US governments in recent history and its effects are still ongoing and greatly influences the Republican party. Do we trust even a government like Trump administration to not find a way to get Apple to misuse CSAM?

For the sake of privacy, Apple should drop this silly CSAM move.
    I found the Trump administration a lot more palatable than the current one with the puppet who has Alzheimer's. How come never-Trumpers just can't move on and let him go? I despised Bill Clinton, but when he won, I shut up and moved on with my life until the next election.