Post your 970 Tower mock ups

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Industrial design.

Black cooling vents go all around the front, top, and back crowding a thin aluminum strip going down the center. Both elements are sandwiched between aluminum side panels.

Cut outs for CD/DVD trays instead of flapping doors.

Both sides flip down to reveal innards. Instead of an obvious latch you disengage, you simply slide the aluminum side panel foward about a centimeter and then fold down. The right side folds down to expose the motherboard, CPU, RAM and PCI expansion while the left side folds down to expose the vertical hard drive bays, 4 in total. The 2 CD bays have access to the mounting screws from both panels.

Here are the pics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 215
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    that reminds me a bit of a PS2...
  • Reply 2 of 215
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

that reminds me a bit of a PS2...

I was thinking more along the lines of older IBM workstations like the M-Pro.
  • Reply 3 of 215
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    I have an idea...

And you thought that big heat sink and huge noisy fans were for the G4s ha!

A@ron
  • Reply 4 of 215
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Pretty cool but I have a feeling that case would get so hot you can bake a cake!

Wheres the ventilation?
  • Reply 5 of 215
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I thought that the 970 was supposed to run cooler that the G4.
  • Reply 6 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Pretty cool but I have a feeling that case would get so hot you can bake a cake!

Wheres the ventilation?

The black fins hide the vents for heat exhaust.
  • Reply 7 of 215
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    I think that industrial design mockup looks like ass...no offense. If it makes you feel any better...it looks like *my* ass which is decent looking but still looks like, well, ass.
  • Reply 8 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I think that industrial design mockup looks like ass...no offense. If it makes you feel any better...it looks like *my* ass which is decent looking but still looks like, well, ass.

Well since you're working on plastics now lets have a sneak peak.
  • Reply 9 of 215
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Man, and I thought of the PS 2 as ugly...this thing looks like a room heater. Ugggggllly! There was an extremely good mockup on www.theapplecollection.com . It's the one with the 23" cinema. It's swathed in stainless steel, and looks very sexy, like the xServe.
  • Reply 10 of 215
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

this thing looks like a room heater.

what's wrong with that? the box is probably going to work very well as a room heater too
  • Reply 11 of 215

Exactly. It should be functional AND multi-tasking!
  • Reply 12 of 215
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Damn if you don't like then just simply say, 'nope, I don't like it'. You don't have to compare it to your mom or to your girlfriend and how nasty skanks they are. Just say you don't like, no need for family references and nasty name calling.
  • Reply 13 of 215
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Hmmm not bad Outsider. Looks like Rotel Mac
  • Reply 14 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Hmmm not bad Outsider. Looks like Rotel Mac

Thanks. Somehow it looks better in Illustrator but what am i gunna do?

Anyone else have a mocke up they'de like to share? Pscates? Michaelm?
  • Reply 15 of 215
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud

what's wrong with that? the box is probably going to work very well as a room heater too

My room consists of two PowerMac G4s, a 21" and 16" Apple Studio Display, a PowerBook G4, a few FireWire drives, an external CD-RW drive and a Phaser 850 and it always stays pretty warm in here!

With the addition of something like that pictured above...it would be to hot! 8)
  • Reply 16 of 215
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The G5 Paraisio on The Apple Collection looks nice...along with the other one with white sides.
  • Reply 17 of 215
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

My room consists of two PowerMac G4s, a 21" and 16" Apple Studio Display, a PowerBook G4, a few FireWire drives, an external CD-RW drive and a Phaser 850 and it always stays pretty warm in here!

With the addition of something like that pictured above...it would be to hot! 8)

When I keep the mac turned on overnight, I always know I'm not going to freeze to death when I get up It's pleasant... oh btw. the MDD also makes this huge noise, not too unlike the relaxing noise that makes me go to sleep so easily on the bus. It's a damned practical friend to have on the room

oops, this is very, very offtopic.
  • Reply 18 of 215
    Looks alot like a Mark Levinson 33H mono power amplifier to me, which I think is an attractive design. At only $20,000 each, I'll bet Steve's got a few of these in his system!
  • Reply 19 of 215
    Correction - the 33H goes for $10,000 each, but if you've got the cash the higher powered 33 goes for a bit under $20,000 per....
  • Reply 20 of 215
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Well since you're working on plastics now lets have a sneak peak.

You just want a look at his ass

Actually, you mockup looks pretty nice. I think it's too far a departure from Apple's newest ID direction, but it looks like a nice case anyway. But where are the handles..I gotta have my handles.