Post your 970 Tower mock ups

Comments

• Reply 21 of 215
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

You just want a look at his ass

Actually, you mockup looks pretty nice. I think it's too far a departure from Apple's newest ID direction, but it looks like a nice case anyway. But where are the handles..I gotta have my handles.

Eh, i figured Apple released a new iMac, and eliminated the handle. Ditto the iBook. Next major redesign I think apple will let go of the handles on the PowerMac too.
  • Reply 22 of 215
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Eh, i figured Apple released a new iMac, and eliminated the handle. Ditto the iBook. Next major redesign I think apple will let go of the handles on the PowerMac too.

The current iMac doesn't need a handle. It has a neck
  • Reply 23 of 215
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Too square and boxy. You have to add some curves to that design. Colors aren't bad.
  • Reply 24 of 215
    I think it looks cool, good job. A little too sony but cool. And for all you people yelling about about how ugly it is, why dont you go make your own version instead of talking nonsence, after all that was the point of the thread: post your mockup.
  • Reply 25 of 215
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Actually it looks like an amplifier!, kinf of Krell like.
  • Reply 26 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonard

Too square and boxy. You have to add some curves to that design. Colors aren't bad.

Thanks for the input, but I was going for a titanium powerbook-esque design. Boxy with little rounded corners. B&O inspired too.
  • Reply 27 of 215
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    This ought to be pretty close. Maybe a different monitor, hey?
  • Reply 28 of 215
    iksnooiksnoo Posts: 24member
    Here is my prototype design! It is a bit different.

link1

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22011

link2

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=1&thecat=500

Cheers,

Gary Haus
  • Reply 29 of 215
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    Hey Gary, that is so coool!, I'd love if the next Powermac looked like that.

You should submit it to Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 215
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I think we're looking at a very thin CPU, less bulky then the current PowerMac.
  • Reply 31 of 215
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Well since you're working on plastics now lets have a sneak peak.

• Reply 32 of 215
    Quote:

Thanks for the input, but I was going for a titanium powerbook-esque design. Boxy with little rounded corners. B&O inspired too.

Not bad really, but it seems the ports are dead center in the middle of the box. What is the system board mounted to? Wouldn't that kind of waste internal space for optical and hard disc drives?

I like the looks though.

Just started reading this topic, so I will do a mockup and post later.

Cheers all.
  • Reply 33 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not bad really, but it seems the ports are dead center in the middle of the box. What is the system board mounted to? Wouldn't that kind of waste internal space for optical and hard disc drives?

I like the looks though.

Just started reading this topic, so I will do a mockup and post later.

Cheers all.

The HD's actually mount under the mobo in a cage that holds 4 of them vertically. That's why the sides open both ways, so you have access to both sides of the motherboard. This also allows you to put the IDE ports on the bottom of the motherboard.
  • Reply 34 of 215
    moosemanmooseman Posts: 126member
    ...alright, here is my consumer micro tower mock-up. It has one slot loading optical, room for two hard drives and room for 1 PCI slot and one AGP slot. Its based on a pic of the Xserve, but I widened it a bit to allow the motherboard to be mounted below the HDs to save depth. The unit could lay flat and slide under an LCD, or stand up with the included "foot."

Its piss poor photchopping, but its the best I can do.

• Reply 35 of 215
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The only thing really is that putting the optical drive vertically makes it run slower, and Apple knows this. I've heard it mentioned in some keynote about something... or maybe I've heard it referenced here somewhere.
  • Reply 36 of 215
    Quote:

The HD's actually mount under the mobo in a cage that holds 4 of them vertically. That's why the sides open both ways, so you have access to both sides of the motherboard. This also allows you to put the IDE ports on the bottom of the motherboard.

Under? What do the card slots you show on back plug into? I am confused. I guess I would rather see the board against side of the case, the way el-capitan does now. Let's face it, Apple made one kick-arse case when they designed that.

I cannot tell you how many times people look at it and question the handles, but honestly, even though I don't move mine too much, it has saved my back more than once. And the flip down sides and ease of access is a wintel-designers wet dream.
  • Reply 37 of 215
    Yes....I know I'VE GOT this huge data path in my brain and I can't get it out.

The reason why 'a CD-ROM drive runs slower when vertically mounted' was first emitted by Apple when it introed the 20th anniversary mac.

The way they decided to mount the Drive was with a door that merely covered the spinning disc, not much grip-factor was added by closing the door, thus the disc got most of it's grip from the spindle. How "everyday-run-of-the-muck" drives run is when you inject a CD, the drive clamps down from the top and the bottom of the disc so as to have a better grip on the disc at all times.

Note: better technologies for top-loading CD drives can now be found in portable CD-audio sets like the Sony Discman, where there is no 'upper grip. on the door.'

A vertically mounted drive like the one in the picture would work just fine, because it is still a slot-loading drive.
  • Reply 38 of 215
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mooseman

...alright, here is my consumer micro tower mock-up. It has one slot loading optical, room for two hard drives and room for 1 PCI slot and one AGP slot. Its based on a pic of the Xserve, but I widened it a bit to allow the motherboard to be mounted below the HDs to save depth. The unit could lay flat and slide under an LCD, or stand up with the included "foot."

Its piss poor photchopping, but its the best I can do.

I dunno man, that's kinda too tall and skinny. That's like a PS2 on steroids and the foot would have to be massive. Also, I never liked the 'desktop' approach, I've always preferred the 'tower' better.
  • Reply 39 of 215
    how's a 12" aluminum cube sound?
  • Reply 40 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

how's a 12" aluminum cube sound?

Pretty damn nice, as long as the CD drive is front loaded. My Illustrator skills ar enot up to snuff and my photoshop skilld less so. Someone who likes this idea want to come up with a nice mock up?