Dick Cheney + Halliburton = 1 billion buck deal...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, they got it.

Being the former CEO of Halliburton and now VP of the US sure has some advantages. Though Halliburton has worked with goverment rebuilds since '42 if you can't see the connections (and the sheer speed of the deal) you're blind.

I'm going out of the fray here with the whole mess this has become. No more flaming...I'll lurk, listen and maybe understand a little more...

I'll leave you with this wonderful insight into it all.

Happy flaming...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    This is just too obviouse

Halliburton gets a 1 Billion dollar contract!!!!

It is profoundly cynical . . . so much so that it of course will be dismissed by everybody as merely a coincidence

I mean, are the people in power even ever so slightly that manipulative, crafty and greedy?!?!?

I can't accept all of the implications . . . I prefer to be a 'patriot' and refuse to see our leaders as greedy conniving elitist opportunists bent on making a buck to such a degree that they would start a war just to grease their wheels . . . .
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Me too.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    I was quite disgusted when i heard that on The Daily Show yesterday. I don't think disgusted is a strong enough word. Colbert was right when there isn't really a word in english to describe the terrible feeling it gives me. Even this series of annoyed smilies can't express my feelings for this situation. America really bothers me at times like this.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Does Cheney have any financial interest in Halliburton?

goddam sheeple
  • Reply 5 of 63
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    so a firm with a 50 year history of doing work for the Govt. gets another contract to do more govt. work?

OH MY

come on guys, that's not nearly enough to show any impropriety.

now, if you could find out if Halliburton had branches doing work after/during the first Gulf War or not, that would make a difference to me.

if they've done this work in the past, of course they're going to be the most likely canidate to do the work this time around. are the qualified to do the job?

sounds like they're not only qualified, but also are the only corporation that's ready to actually go do the work in the timeframe required.

is there anything to show it's more than just that?
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

America really bothers me at times like this.

You know what though? It's not America...it's a handful of powerful people in dereliction of their duty to America.

What do you even call realpolitik when it has corporate interests rather then national interests at heart?
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Does Cheney have any financial interest in Halliburton?

At least 4 million dollars worth of stock and options for 1 million shares (worth about another $20 million at current market price). Oh, and a retirement package that pays him $1 million plus a year.

http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/....parachute.ap/
  • Reply 8 of 63
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so a firm with a 50 year history of doing work for the Govt. gets another contract to do more govt. work?

OH MY

is there anything to show it's more than just that?

"The US army said it gave the main Iraqi oil well firefighting contract to a unit of Halliburton Co, a firm once run by Vice President Dick Cheney, without any bidding."

"Boots & Coots International Well Control Inc. <WEL.A> has been hired to fight oil well fires and supply well control services in Iraq, the company said on Tuesday.

The subcontract comes from Halliburton Inc.'s (nyse: HAL - news - people) engineering and construction subsidiary, Kellogg Brown and Root. That unit said Monday it was awarded a U.S. government contract to assess and extinguish well fires in Iraq.

Boots & Coots, which did similar work on 240 burning wells in Kuwait after the last Persian Gulf War in 1991, did not say how much the contract would be worth."

Forbe's article link...

Well, I guess this 1 Billion bucks will get Boots & Coots out of bankrupcy...
  • Reply 9 of 63
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Why give the contract to an American company at all? Shouldn't we be giving this contract to some enterprising Iraqi to do and to learn to do? If we are to a create an market oriented democracy, Iraqi businesses need seed funding to build up capabilities and competency. On top of this, the money should trickle down to lots of Iraqi workers and other businesses. This not only includes oil well business, but power grids, road infrastructure, communications, humanitarian aide, and such.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Why give the contract to an American company at all? Shouldn't we be giving this contract to some enterprising Iraqi to do and to learn to do? If we are to a create an market oriented democracy, Iraqi businesses need seed funding to build up capabilities and competency. On top of this, the money should trickle down to lots of Iraqi workers and other businesses. This not only includes oil well business, but power grids, road infrastructure, communications, humanitarian aide, and such.

What!?!?! Logic??!?!@? Are you insane?
  • Reply 11 of 63
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I swear, sometimes the amount of stupidity here amazes me.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

but admitt you feel at home.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Quote:

Why, does it get in the way of your own?
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:

How so? Do you consider it stupid to wonder why a decision like this might have been made? Are all politicians above serving their interests and the interests of their friends if there is any risk that doing so might not be in the nation?s best interests?

I don?t think anybody is implying that the war on Iraq was engineered solely to generate money for corporate cronies of the Bush administration, but you have to wonder if the decision making process was devoid of outside influences.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This is standard stuff from this administration. I doubt it will help Cheney himself, but the line where big business ends and this administration begins is pretty damn blurry.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    so it's a big shock to you all, and some vast corporate conspiracy that the company that capped all the burning wells last time (and did a damn fine job) got the contract to do it again?

say for example your car breaks down, you bring it to a mechanic's shop. they do a great job repairing it.

12 years later it breaks down again. most people would bring it back to the same place, because they know they do good work.

common sense does not equal conspiracy.

as for the line between big business and the govt. blurring?

of course the govt. does a lot of work with big business. the reason? big businesses are the ONLY ONES who can handle the BIG CONTRACTS.

bob's oil capping ain't gonna cut it.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    How about this...your car breaks down, you bring it to the mechanic's shop that an old buddy of yours recently opened. They repair it.

12 years later it breaks down again. Do you bring the car back to your buddy's shop or do you look around and see if you can get as good a job done elsewhere in the neighbourhood at a discount?

Now lets say that the car doesn't belong to you. You're just looking after it for the owners. Wouldn't they like to pay the discounted bill instead of giving your buddy some extra business?
  • Reply 18 of 63
    hey kneel, can you do me a quick favor.

can you find out how many professional, high capacity oil well capping companies there are out there? oh, and these people need to be able to cap both flowing well and burning wells.

while you're at it, can you find out how many have the experience of capping a few hundred wells in desert conditions?

when you have that list, let's both look it over and see how many companies there are to choose from.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Halliburton - through its KBR subisidiary - sub-contracted the work to Boots & Coots. You or I could have sub-contracted the work to an equally experienced company just as easily.

Personally, I'd have gotten Global Industries, Ltd. to do the work. I always thought Red Adair seemed like a cool guy...
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:

Global Industries provides offshore construction, engineering and support services including pipeline construction, platform installation and removal, and diving services to the oil and gas industry in the Gulf of Mexico, West Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East/India, South America, and Mexico's Bay of Campeche. Global is a leading provider of offshore construction services with 24 construction barges, 22 liftboats, 17 dive support vessels, and 15 marine support vessels.

ok, except this is in the desert, not the ocean. try again.