#AppleToo engineer target of online abuse, failed by HR

Posted:
in General Discussion
An Apple security engineer involved in the creation of the #AppleToo movement has spoken about the group's formation, as well as how she is being accused of ruining the tech giant.

In mid-August, a group of Apple employees formed AppleToo, an organization to expose instances of racism, sexism, inequality, and abuse within Apple, to try and force change to its policies and handling of internal issues. In an interview, one of the engineers involved in organizing the group discussed what happened since the group went public.

Security engineer Cher Scarlett saw discussions on the anonymous worker forum Blind saying she was ruining Apple by being involved with AppleToo, reports Protocol.

"There's this culture within Apple that is very rewarding of secrecy and loyalty, and when I have read some of these posts about me, it's very much seeping through, people are feeling that I'm leaking confidential data," said Scarlett. As an employee working in corporate security and legal, Scarlett insists she's not willing to leak product data.

Despite the comments, she is receiving support from her direct team, which has condemned abuse against the engineer. However, the same can't be said about other teams within Apple.

"It's affecting me in a way that I did not imagine, I do feel very isolated," she said to the report. "Outside of my team, I feel like there's a lot of people who just want me to leave, they want me to want to leave."

On why Scarlett got involved with forming AppleToo, she explains it stems from requests by other employees sent to her in June, asking for personal workplace accommodations for remote work. While Scarlett encouraged requests to be made through human resources and other internal routes, almost none of the employees Scarlett encountered had received any accommodations at all.

"Now my trust in the system has been eroded because I sent people to the system, and it failed them," she admits. In looking for other ways to group together and demand change, the engineer was invited to a Discord used by current Apple employees.

Discussions on Discord led to the creation of the movement itself.

"Literally hundreds of people have come to me. I can't even keep track anymore of the number of people who've shared their stories with me. These are people's lives. They are human beings. What else do you do when hundreds of people you don't know are coming to you with all of these different issues?" she asks.

Citing a need for accountability from Apple, Scarlett says "People want to feel heard. And they don't feel heard by Apple. There are some people who have been there for decades who feel like Apple leadership used to listen to them, and make them feel like they were listened to, and they feel like that is gone."

Within four days of calling for stories on workplace discrimination and harassment, the group was told of almost 500 instances of such situations.

Scarlett advises people who share issues with the movement to file complaints with relevant state and federal authorities. Some AppleToo organizers are also inviting current and former Apple workers to a social Discord server, one intended to be a community rather than a venue for formal work complaints.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Someone please get in touch with the pilot of the spaceship...
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 2 of 25
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    She’s been at Apple for 1 year.  She has done  this at every company she’s  worked for

Good luck getting another job in tech after this shit show 

edited August 2021 lkrupppulseimagesrcfamaikysupramagman1979
  • Reply 3 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    red oak said:
    She’s been at Apple for 1 year.  She has done  this at every company she’s  worked for

The problem is when she gets fired she’ll have the perfect response and reason for filing a wrongful termination lawsuit. She was let go because of her activism against evil racist, misogynistic, sexist Apple. She’s the type that sees victimhood as a badge of honor.
    rcfaapplguymaikysuprasbdudemagman1979
  • Reply 4 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So is Epic’s CEO funding this? /s
    rcfamagman1979jony0
  • Reply 5 of 25
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    red oak said:

Where did you the information about Cher Scarlett? 
    jajabentojony0
  • Reply 6 of 25
    It almost sounds like the one person got overly offended as Apple was trying to crack down on leaks, taking it as a personal affront. The others it seems are ones who are having issues with how remote work is handled, or had issues with Apple’s return to office plans. I get it, I don’t want to go back to the office either, but it’s not a job like accounting or graphic design, I think there’s a large element that would benefit from people being in office. I imagine there’s a lot of things that have been pushed back or delayed because working from home slowed things down immensely 
    rcfa
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Scarlett says Apple employees are "not being heard." Just what is that supposed to mean? Examples, please.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    1. Are employee complaints being ignored?  F’yeah, this IS America after all. 
    2. Is Cher Scarlett using the situation to elevate her name in the press?  Perhaps.
    3. If #2 is correct, does that mean that #Appletoo is so compromised it cannot bring about the change in culture hundreds of workers want to see?  Unknown at this time.

• Reply 9 of 25
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    On why Scarlett got involved with forming AppleToo, she explains it stems from requests by other employees sent to her in June, asking for personal workplace accommodations for remote work. While Scarlett encouraged requests to be made through human resources and other internal routes, almost none of the employees Scarlett encountered had received any accommodations at all.”

Ah, so now not being able to work in PJs from home is a meToo-Moment, that justifies launching AppleToo? 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Talk about a sense of entitlement…

You don’t like showing up for work? Find another job!
    Ah, poor her likely feels bullied and discriminated by that comment, too… 🤷🏻‍♂️
    applguysbdudemagman1979
  • Reply 10 of 25
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    MicDorsey said:
    Scarlett says Apple employees are "not being heard." Just what is that supposed to mean? Examples, please.
    What it means is that management doesn’t give in to every whim of entitled millennials…
    jajabentomaikysupramagman1979
  • Reply 11 of 25
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

In social media anonymity, coupled with the ease with which a like minded group of individuals can coalesce, seem to be spawning emergent properties that are having unpredictable effects on society at large as well as places of employment.  How companies deal with this emerging behavior that wants to sidestep long held company policies and procedures could derail those very institutions if they don’t adapt.

Enabled by social media and amplified by an attention seeking press, this spark of discontent may quickly become a firestorm at Apple HQ.  We have just witnessed this phenomenon in national politics and there’s no reason it can’t happen in incorporate hierarchies as well.  I haven’t a clue how this will resolve, but It’ll be interesting to watch from the sidelines.  If Tim Cook can navigate this one successfully I’ll be more impressed than ever.

• Reply 12 of 25
    #AppleToo has fizzled out mainly because Scarlett just comes off as an entitled Karen. The other one Gjøvik on paid leave  is like Karenx100 and not credible at all, journalists won’t even give her the time of day anymore and she’s losing it online lololol  Seems like these two just Tweet internal info all day, fire them both. They bring ZERO value. 
    magman1979
  • Reply 13 of 25
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I’d be fascinated to see a statistical breakdown of #MeToo related grievances, both initial & revisited, to see how many brought true abusers to justice and how many were pure revenge & disruption. Also to see what punishments were awarded both parties.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    oscargoscarg Posts: 22member
    "poundAppleToo?"

Is this entire "article" a joke? Nobody has ever heard of this character or this bullshit.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    It doesn't help that her past 4 positions (see LinkedIn) didn't exceed 12 months of employment each. Now, that by itself doesn't say anything, but it makes you wonder why she hasn't retained her position for longer, either through actions of her own or the employer. 
    magman1979jajabento
  • Reply 16 of 25
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    And right on time the victim blaming shows up here.  Sickening.
    beowulfschmidtrobabajony0
  • Reply 17 of 25
    red oak said:

This is exactly the kind of “shit show” people hav e to put up with when they get treated like shit and report it LIKE HR EVERYWHERE TELLS THEMTHEY SHOULD.
    robaba
  • Reply 18 of 25
    rcfa said:
    MicDorsey said:
    What it means is that management doesn’t give in to every whim of entitled millennials…
    Or management are a bunch of inflexible ass clowns and are trying to justify the expense of the "spaceship" so they deny all remote work requests.  Guess what geezers - people are done with the 90 minutes - 20 mile commutes twice a day.  You would think the tech industry would embrace this as they were the first to punt a whole class of jobs to India and Pakistan and often have offshore developers in the Baltic states. Millennials are able to perform in different conditions.  As a late X-er (early 80s) our whole generation has adapted to the boomers deciding to stick around a crap ton longer than their actual worth.  I like working with and managing millennials.  You can be straight and honest with them and they respond.  They don't like duplicity and rigidity.  They are also better developers than their older colleagues.  
    muthuk_vanalingamp-dogrobaba
  • Reply 19 of 25
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 259member
    jbilgihan said:
    rcfa said:
    MicDorsey said:
    Or management are a bunch of inflexible ass clowns and are trying to justify the expense of the "spaceship" so they deny all remote work requests.  Guess what geezers - people are done with the 90 minutes - 20 mile commutes twice a day.  You would think the tech industry would embrace this as they were the first to punt a whole class of jobs to India and Pakistan and often have offshore developers in the Baltic states. Millennials are able to perform in different conditions.  As a late X-er (early 80s) our whole generation has adapted to the boomers deciding to stick around a crap ton longer than their actual worth.  I like working with and managing millennials.  You can be straight and honest with them and they respond.  They don't like duplicity and rigidity.  They are also better developers than their older colleagues.  

Then work somewhere else? When did "working for a company" mean "now I own this bitch"? You have no idea how to get along with people, do you?
    magman1979jajabento
  • Reply 20 of 25
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 259member
    darkvader said:
    And right on time the victim blaming shows up here.  Sickening.

An actual victim, or is she playing the victim? Are you still a victim when you walk down a dark alley with the expectation of coming out unscathed, or did you invite that on yourself? This mentality of victimhood is sickening.
    magman1979jajabento