Rogue Amoeba quits 'restrictive' Mac App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    rcfa said:
    Illusive said:
    So they want us to buy untested rubbish so then can alter it as they see fit with every update? No, thanks. Long live sandboxing!
    Sandboxing is OK for random office software, but it’s useless for almost all utilities.

For the same reasons an iPad Pro is a joke in name
    Feel free to say that to all the journalists, artists, musicians, physicians, and other professionals using iPads to earn a living.

• Reply 22 of 32
    crowley said:
    Illusive said:
    So they want us to buy untested rubbish so then can alter it as they see fit with every update? No, thanks. Long live sandboxing!
    Untested rubbish?  What is this based on, the blog post didn't mention anything about testing?  Rogue Amoeba are a solid developer with a great track record, and they definitely test their software.  
    Most third party apps SUCK by definition. They're plagued by bugs, analytics tools, and background helpers, all of which slow your rig down; they're often OSFA (cross-platform) and therefore poorly coded and hardly designed to work (and look) in harmony with the rest of the system, and they come with all sorts of restrictions, subscriptions, and other surprises. They might also take years to finally support a system-wide feature or update for new hardware. Without close supervision, most third party apps are barely worth downloading for free, let alone paying for.

• Reply 23 of 32
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    Rogue Amoeba has some really great products and has every right to make that decision.  Even so, when it comes to Audio Editors, I have preferred the TwistedWave line of audio editor products for the Mac and iOS for many years.  Anyone not fully satisfied with Audacity or the Fission Editor or iZotope RX should definitely check out TwistedWave.  Very happy user here.
    roundaboutnowFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Illusive said:
    crowley said:
    Illusive said:
    Untested rubbish?  What is this based on, the blog post didn't mention anything about testing?  Rogue Amoeba are a solid developer with a great track record, and they definitely test their software.  
    Most third party apps SUCK by definition. They're plagued by bugs, analytics tools, and background helpers, all of which slow your rig down; they're often OSFA (cross-platform) and therefore poorly coded and hardly designed to work (and look) in harmony with the rest of the system, and they come with all sorts of restrictions, subscriptions, and other surprises. They might also take years to finally support a system-wide feature or update for new hardware. Without close supervision, most third party apps are barely worth downloading for free, let alone paying for.
    We’re not talking about most apps though, we’re talking about Rogue Amoeba, who in my experience are an excellent developer.

Also, Apple’s apps are not immune from some of the things you describe.
    chasmFileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Illusive said:
    If you don't want to be thought a fool, maybe don't post about a five-star Apple developer you very clearly know nothing about, and thus remove all doubt.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 32
    sflocal said:
    As a software engineer myself, I have very little sympathy for those that don't have the skills (or motivation) to make their apps compliant.  Many use unsupported API's that can and will cause problems down the road and don't want to take the time and effort to properly code their app to make it App Store compliant.  It's their way, or the highway.

I always check the Mac store first when I'm interested in new software.  Sadly it is thinning out and Apple as well does share some blame for that, but not much.  The real money is in the iOS App Store and that's where Apple is putting most of its resources, which is actually a sad thing to see.
    Is it even possible to make Rogue Amoeba's software App Store compliant? It uses a helper app that hijacks system and other app's audio for various purposes, software that turns devices into AirPlay hotspots including the Mac (about to be Sherlocked in Monterey), stuff that I don't think falls within the normal sandbox restrictions of the App Store. Rogue Amoeba's no slouch, and have been around for almost 20 years.

Same can be said for many apps out there that clearly state differences between their App Store version and their non-sandboxed version. BBEdit left he App Store, then returned after changes were made. It's not like Barebones was being lazy.

There's a shit ton of professional apps that will never ever be in the App Store because of the restrictions it places on functionality. 
    edited September 2021 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32

Also, Apple’s apps are not immune from some of the things you describe.
    They certainly aren't. However, in my experience, third-party apps very rarely outdo Apple's own in terms of elegance, stability, and ease of use.  
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 28 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    asdasd said:
    crowley said:
    Illusive said:
    He is talking about Apple testing, but that is perfunctory. Just to see if the app works and isn't using private API or breaching privacy. 
    Developers using unsupported APIs has been problematic for decades. Developers have hooked into macOS without using a supported API to provide some feature or function. macOS gets updated and the user finds out their app has ceased to function because the hook no longer works. Developer is forced to update and/or remove the feature, then rage at Apple. Lather-rinse-repeat. And who does the user blame? “It worked before the update, now it doesn’t, therefore it’s Apple’s fault. Fix it NOW, Apple!”

In recent years Apple has locked down macOS more and more (kernel extensions, browser extensions, etc.) so we see it less. Developers rage.
    That includes developers like Microsoft, who for decades thought that their way was better and wrote code that bypassed Apple's standard APIs in order for the various Office apps to behave "better" than Mac apps. You want to know why Office for Mac was always delayed significantly beyond the Windows version? It wasn't only for competitive reasons, it was because a significant portion of the MS developers were offended by having to hew to the Apple guidelines. And it caused them a ton of rework, which they always explained away by saying that "Apple changed things." Well, duh - if you're going to improve things, you've got to change them. Apple did the work of making sure that changes were handled by the public APIs - as it should have - but if you relied on stuff behind the scenes for your code to work, well, you were building on sand and it was your own choices that got you in trouble when the sands shifted.

Ever since the Mac shipped, Apple has told developers to use the public APIs because they were guaranteed to keep working. The arrogant folk who refused to listen paid the price.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    chasm said:
    Illusive said:
    If you don't want to be thought a fool, maybe don't post about a five-star Apple developer you very clearly know nothing about, and thus remove all doubt.
    So you can vouch for them they will still live up to Apple's standards outside the App Store? Why 'move out' in the first place, then?

I believe Apple should start issuing exclusive certificates on a per-update basis. You want your app to run on the Mac? Kindly submit each and every update to Apple, or they simply won't be able to install it, whether from the App Store or not.
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 30 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Illusive said:
    chasm said:
    Illusive said:
    So you can vouch for them they will still live up to Apple's standards outside the App Store? Why 'move out' in the first place, then?
    The Mac App Store doesn't have, and never has had, a monopoly on quality software.  Apple's standards don't even assure all that much quality, as a quick perusal of the MAS will tell you, there's loads of junk on there.

They're moving out because Apple place restrictions on software that don't work with what Rogue Amoeba are trying to do.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Rogue Amoeba makes fantastic stuff, and they are a solid developer.  If an outfit like that is leaving, I hope Apple takes notice and gives some consideration to the reasons. I’m probably the original definition of Apple fanboy, but inaction or indifference when it comes to what appears to be a growing issue is never a good thing.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I even bought something from them before the App Store existed…
    But when I buy new apps I still preference App Store for searching and installing. 
    watto_cobra