2021 iPad review: The best iPad for nearly everyone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Best of all, it still has a Home Button! Which for many people, makes the iPad so much easier to use. 
    OctoMonkeywilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 27
    henrybay said:
    Best of all, it still has a Home Button! Which for many people, makes the iPad so much easier to use. 
    The home button is one of just a couple reasons I purchased an iPad mini (5th gen) for my wife the day they announced the 6th gen.  A quick upgrade to 14.8 and a firewall block to prevent further i-device OS upgrades and we are golden!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    henrybay said:
    The home button is one of just a couple reasons I purchased an iPad mini (5th gen) for my wife the day they announced the 6th gen.  A quick upgrade to 14.8 and a firewall block to prevent further i-device OS upgrades and we are golden!
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/07/apple-wont-force-updates-to-ios-15-from-ios-14

I'm not sure you want to block at the firewall. This will probably also block the security updates that Apple will continue to apply to iOS 14.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    henrybay said:
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/06/07/apple-wont-force-updates-to-ios-15-from-ios-14

I'm not sure you want to block at the firewall. This will probably also block the security updates that Apple will continue to apply to iOS 14.
    Blocking the update servers at the firewall is an easy way to stop our collection of i-devices (iPads, iPods, iPhones & Apple TVs) from constantly nagging and pestering us about updating.  Also, since it is a single point of control it is also very easy to disable the block (on either a temporary or permanent basis) should we decide to allow updates.  Both my wife and I are concerned about the potential for abuse from on-device scanning and have no intention to upgrade any i-device to 15.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 27
    henrybay said:

Blocking the update servers at the firewall is an easy way to stop our collection of i-devices (iPads, iPods, iPhones & Apple TVs) from constantly nagging and pestering us about updating.  Also, since it is a single point of control it is also very easy to disable the block (on either a temporary or permanent basis) should we decide to allow updates.  Both my wife and I are concerned about the potential for abuse from on-device scanning and have no intention to upgrade any i-device to 15.
    As Mike pointed out, blocking all updates also blocks security updates.  Without them you may be more susceptible to spyware & such.

• Reply 26 of 27
    henrybay said:

As Mike pointed out, blocking all updates also blocks security updates.  Without them you may be more susceptible to spyware & such.

spyware...  such as i-device OS 15?  That's the entire reason I put the block in place rather than update.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 27
    henrybay said:

spyware...  such as i-device OS 15?  That's the entire reason I put the block in place rather than update.

I find it strange that someone would fear Apple (who has no reason or incentive) spying on them than the plethora of corporate and private information thieves and hackers out there.   But, to each their own.
    watto_cobra