Apple fires leader of #AppleToo movement

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    rcfa said:
    Good riddance! Another entitled brat who tried to politicize the workplace, and get a fat payout as a result.

In a country like Russia, they would have a car accident.

In the US they will sue, until the company will settle for a large sum of money under an NDA not admitting any guilt, just to avoid the damage to the reputation the continued legal action causes. You can bet that’s the endgame of her and her lawyer.
    She’ll try to claim whistleblower status (even though there was nothing to blow a whistle about) and then sue for wrongful termination.
    Some woke idiot in Hollywood, likely from competing corporations like Netflix or Amazon Video, might even offer a dramatized movie deal, where “based on actual events” something despicable is covered up in a company called Prune Computer, Inc., just different enough that Apple can’t sue for defamation…

Bad behavior gets rewarded these days, because due to entitlement, wokeness, nobody dares to tell such people anymore: “You’re a loser, pack up your sh*t and f*ck off!”

A generation that wants communist equality, at a capitalist level of wealth, while being lazy and irresponsible.
    Unfortunately for her and fortunate for Apple, California is an At Will state. She can be pretty much fired for any reason or no reason at all (with very specific exceptions.) So, she won’t have much to stand on in court. 

She might try to claim unfair treatment due to gender, religious beliefs, etc though the fact that she loaded personal apps on a work related phone are a reason enough for Apple. 

Slippery slope but internally I’m sure Apple lawyers see this all the time. I’m sure they even have a law team dedicated to internal firings. 
  • Reply 42 of 58
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    dave3938 said:
    When corporate America mixes business with politics - and gives its employees a platform to rage against others - that same dynamic may very well swing around and bite that corporation back. "Go woke, go broke" is not just a trite phrase - it's absolutely true. You can't have it both ways. 

If you believe the fascists.
  • Reply 43 of 58
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    shamino said:
    I don't know any more about the case than what's already been reported, but I wonder why anybody would be keeping personal apps/data on a work phone.

If she was actually running Robinhood, Pokemon and Google Drive on a work phone, i wonder why.

Don't people know that your work phone is property of your employer and they therefore have a right to anything and everything you put on it?

If you want to run personal apps, keep them on your personal phone, which your employer has no right to access (although they may also prohibit you from bringing it onto a corporate campus or connecting to the corporate Wi-Fi).

Ditto for your work laptop.  Don't put any personal apps/data on it that you wouldn't want your employer to see.  Keep personal stuff on your personal computer (which, again, you might not be allowed to bring to the office).
    Thank you! I’m not going to weigh-in on the confrontational aspects of this case but the one lesson that everyone can take away from this case is to never store company/work information on your personal devices, and vice versa, never store personal information on your company/work computer. This rule applies whether or not your employer/boss encourages such behavior or has a BYOD policy in place. The whole BYOD thing is a recipe for disaster that leaves lawyers salivating at the many ways these policies will enrich their bottom line and pay for their kid’s tuitions at the most prestigious universities. Don’t cross the streams.
    muthuk_vanalingamshamino
  • Reply 44 of 58
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    d70mac said:
    Here's a typical scenario of what might have happened...

1. Apple HR requests a meeting.
    2. Employee is told that an investigation into the employee conduct is being started.
    3. At the meeting Apple requests access to her Apple Corporate telephone to conduct an investigation.
    4. Employee says she does not have it and will provide it.
    5. Employee leaves and then deletes certain apps and data before providing the requested Apple corporate telephone to Hr.
    6. Apple examines the Apple corporate telephone and immediately finds date stamps showing that data was deleted between the time of the HR meeting and when the Apple corporate telephone was surrendered.

What is this Apple employee going to sue for? The employee acted unprofessionally by deleting information from an iPhone she knew was under investigation. There is no "ism" involved. Rather than letting the investigation play out she panicked.

A bigger issue...Perhaps Apple will begin to realize that mixing politics with business is in the long run a no-win scenario.

Employee and her attorney will file the case in court with idea Apple will settle out of court. Apple should take the fight all the way and not pay a penny thus setting an example for others. Apple hire the people to do the job and do it at expected level and not get involved into activities that is a distraction for a company.
    edited October 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 45 of 58
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 303member
    sdw2001 said:
    And...welcome to the real world, sweetheart.  This is the rude awakening your entitled generation is experiencing.  In said real world, you work for a private sector employer.  That means you don't get to criticize your boss or company in public without being fired.  That means no one in your company cares about your opinion outside of your area of expertise.  That means unless you can prove a legal violation, you can be eighty-sixed for almost any reason, or no reason at all.  Yours is the generation who thinks if you state your "concerns" about your superiors respectfully, they'll not only be listened to, but acted upon.  It reminds me of the interns who were canned some years ago because they wrote a letter challenging the employer's dress code.  They were flabbergasted that their reasonable, respectful letter telling their bosses how to run their company got them axed. 

Want to be able to speak out?  Either get a public sector job where your freedom of speech is less curtailed (it's true) or start you own business.  
    When reading this, I'm grateful not to live and work in the US of A, but in a civilized country.
    GeorgeBMacronn
  • Reply 46 of 58
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    shamino said:
    I don't know any more about the case than what's already been reported, but I wonder why anybody would be keeping personal apps/data on a work phone.

If she was actually running Robinhood, Pokemon and Google Drive on a work phone, i wonder why.

Don't people know that your work phone is property of your employer and they therefore have a right to anything and everything you put on it?

If you want to run personal apps, keep them on your personal phone, which your employer has no right to access (although they may also prohibit you from bringing it onto a corporate campus or connecting to the corporate Wi-Fi).

Ditto for your work laptop.  Don't put any personal apps/data on it that you wouldn't want your employer to see.  Keep personal stuff on your personal computer (which, again, you might not be allowed to bring to the office).
    I was reading an article a few weeks ago that said one someone starts at Apple they are encouraged to use their personal Apple IDs for work instead of creating one specifically for work.
    I read the opposite. In The article I read the first woman states that it was two much trouble and an extra expense to have a separate phone because Apple paid for the corporate phone. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 47 of 58
    genovelle said:
    shamino said:

I was reading an article a few weeks ago that said one someone starts at Apple they are encouraged to use their personal Apple IDs for work instead of creating one specifically for work.
    I read the opposite. In The article I read the first woman states that it was two much trouble and an extra expense to have a separate phone because Apple paid for the corporate phone. 
    Yeh, I can see that.
    At one point I was carrying three phones and a pager around -- and that was before we had nice, skinny iPhones.  Juggling multiple devices is a pain.

• Reply 48 of 58
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Nobody should have to put up with nonsense, abuse or discrimination in the workplace - period.

Beyond that, many of the self-anointed social justice warrior types see racism, sexism, etc. under every cushion, crevice and closet. 

Things in the workplace are not always as they might appear to those without direct knowledge of why someone was hired, promoted or chosen for something and why someone else was passed over.
    anonconformistzonetuke
  • Reply 49 of 58
    xp17xp17 Posts: 15member
    The problem is always women with fanatical political leftist views. Every business should get rid of them because they break down and destroy work.
    williamlondonanonconformist
  • Reply 50 of 58
    davgreg said:
    Nobody should have to put up with nonsense, abuse or discrimination in the workplace - period.

Beyond that, many of the self-anointed social justice warrior types see racism, sexism, etc. under every cushion, crevice and closet. 

Things in the workplace are not always as they might appear to those without direct knowledge of why someone was hired, promoted or chosen for something and why someone else was passed over.

Put up with "nonsense, abuse or discrimination"?  I'll give you the discrimination -- that's both wrong and stupid.  But, for the rest, the answer is simple:   You are only the boss of yourself.  So leave.  If they don't like you or respect you go somewhere that does.

But, conversely, smart employers treat their staff with respect and expect that that respect will be returned.  In a healthy environment both employer and employee understand that it is a mutually beneficial partnership and each promotes, supports and helps the other succeed.
    ... I was fortunate to have spent most of my working career in that kind of environment and I am grateful. 
    shamino
  • Reply 51 of 58
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    sdw2001 said:
    And...welcome to the real world, sweetheart.  This is the rude awakening your entitled generation is experiencing.  In said real world, you work for a private sector employer.  That means you don't get to criticize your boss or company in public without being fired.  That means no one in your company cares about your opinion outside of your area of expertise.  That means unless you can prove a legal violation, you can be eighty-sixed for almost any reason, or no reason at all.  Yours is the generation who thinks if you state your "concerns" about your superiors respectfully, they'll not only be listened to, but acted upon.  It reminds me of the interns who were canned some years ago because they wrote a letter challenging the employer's dress code.  They were flabbergasted that their reasonable, respectful letter telling their bosses how to run their company got them axed. 

Want to be able to speak out?  Either get a public sector job where your freedom of speech is less curtailed (it's true) or start you own business.  
    And these are the folks who will run America in the future? God help us!!!
    One thing the unions taught us is never stand up to your employer—you’ll never get anywhere that way.  re: living wage, health benefits, better working conditions, 5 day work week, 40 hour work week, vacations, etc, etc, etc.
  • Reply 52 of 58
    xp17 said:
    The problem is always women with fanatical political leftist views. Every business should get rid of them because they break down and destroy work.
    Makes sense.

Because, historically, men with fanatical rightist views have never caused us any trouble.
    robabaGeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingamdewmeronn
  • Reply 53 of 58
    jdw said:
    Imagine a world where people hardly ever complain, where people know life is hard and turn the other cheek, where people move beyond obstacles with all their might rather than casting a stone of accusation at others, where people strive to love others unconditionally.

That is not the world in which we live.  But it sure would be nice.

Have a great, complaint-free day, folks!
    Did you just complain about the world where we live...?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 54 of 58
    robaba said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    sdw2001 said:

And these are the folks who will run America in the future? God help us!!!
    One thing the unions taught us is never stand up to your employer—you’ll never get anywhere that way.  re: living wage, health benefits, better working conditions, 5 day work week, 40 hour work week, vacations, etc, etc, etc.

That's true.  They did all that and they also created the wealthiest society the world has ever known.
    But they also contributed to the downfall of that society:   For instance, steel workers shutting down steel plants and forcing their customers to sign long term contracts with their foreign competitors.  They weren't worried:  U.S. Steel & associates was the mightiest of the mighty and could never fall (or so they thought).  But, it also had the help of management who, instead of using their extraordinary profits wisely by investing in modernizing their plants instead squandered it by acquiescing to the unions (which enriched their own pay as well) as well as using it to invest in sideline businesses.

At one point corporations (read Carnegie) had absolute power and it was abused
    Later, the steel unions had absolute power and they abused it.

It takes both a corporation and workers to make steel.  If they stop abusing each other and work together as respected partners both benefit in the long run.
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingamshaminozonetuke
  • Reply 55 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jdw said:
    Imagine a world where people hardly ever complain, where people know life is hard and turn the other cheek, where people move beyond obstacles with all their might rather than casting a stone of accusation at others, where people strive to love others unconditionally.

That is not the world in which we live.  But it sure would be nice.

Have a great, complaint-free day, folks!
    A world where shitty behaviour goes unchallenged?  Certainly sounds like the sort of asshole-friendly world John Lennon would have enjoyed.
    ronnIreneW
  • Reply 56 of 58
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    If true, that's an incredibly stupid bit of advice to take, because it is literally granting Apple access to your entire personal life and eliminating any expectation of having a private on-line existence.

dave3938 said:
    When corporate America mixes business with politics - and gives its employees a platform to rage against others - that same dynamic may very well swing around and bite that corporation back. "Go woke, go broke" is not just a trite phrase - it's absolutely true. You can't have it both ways. 
    It's a lot more than just that.  Companies that "go woke" are deliberately alienating any and all customers that have a different opinion.  They can and will go buy from someone else, because nobody wants to be abused by the people they're paying for goods and services.

Apple sells very good products, but if they start attacking customers for having political opinions, those customers are going to decide to buy from a competitor, even if the product isn't as good.

You can think whatever you want about people who hold different values and support different political candidates/policies, but their money is just as green as yours and any corporation that deliberately rejects it is committing suicide.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    shamino said:
    If true, that's an incredibly stupid bit of advice to take, because it is literally granting Apple access to your entire personal life and eliminating any expectation of having a private on-line existence.

dave3938 said:
    It's a lot more than just that.  Companies that "go woke" are deliberately alienating any and all customers that have a different opinion.  They can and will go buy from someone else, because nobody wants to be abused by the people they're paying for goods and services.

Apple sells very good products, but if they start attacking customers for having political opinions, those customers are going to decide to buy from a competitor, even if the product isn't as good.

You can think whatever you want about people who hold different values and support different political candidates/policies, but their money is just as green as yours and any corporation that deliberately rejects it is committing suicide.

Those are the same folks whining about cancel culture.  They are being cancelled. 
    Apple is on the right side of history.