MagSafe Duo Charger doesn't support Apple Watch Series 7 fast charging

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2021
Apple's MagSafe Duo Charger, which was released in 2020, can't fast charge the new Apple Watch Series 7, the company has confirmed.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The $129 MagSafe Duo Charger, released alongside the iPhone 12, can charge an Apple Watch and an iPhone simultaneously. However, it won't support the new fast charging feature introduced on the 2021 Apple Watch Series 7 models.

"MagSafe Duo Charger doesn't support fast charging with Apple Watch Series 7. To fast charge your Apple Watch Series 7, use the Apple USB-C Magnetic Fast Charging Cable," Apple wrote in a support document update on Friday.

The MagSafe Duo Charger uses a standard fast charging puck. Getting fast-charge speeds on the Apple Watch Series 7 requires an updated puck. Apple has yet to update the MagSafe Duo with the necessary hardware.

Apple published a support document earlier on Friday detailing some of the requirements for fast charging on the Apple Watch Series 7. In addition, the fast charging feature itself is said to be able to charge up an Apple Watch up to 33% faster than standard charging, reaching an 80% charge in just 45 minutes.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    Is this really that surprising?
    fred1Fidonet127llama
  • Reply 2 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    That's a big ole laaame. Was just thinking about buying on too, despite the price. But no way if it can't. Don't mind premium prices, but do need premium features.
    caladaniangatorguycuriousrun8
  • Reply 3 of 22
    They should update the Duo at least. 
    GeorgeBMacllama
  • Reply 4 of 22
    And why is Apple Watch still not Qi-compatible? 

(…not to mention international roaming without iPhone around.) 
    dk49gatorguy
  • Reply 5 of 22

Size?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    MagSafe Duo is looking to be one of the stupidest, most quickly outdated Apple products in history. It's now both a bad fit for the flagship iPhone 13 *and* a bad choice for the flagship Apple Watch Series 7.

Why couldn't they release an updated MagSafe Duo 2 version alongside these two products? Maybe it's not selling that well but, honestly, if that was the case, they should've discontinued it altogether. Keeping ill-fitting but premium-priced products in their line-up is just one of the most un-Apple moves they have made in a looong time.
    edited October 2021 elijahgstompyGeorgeBMacStrangeDayscaladanianllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    That's a big ole laaame. Was just thinking about buying on too, despite the price. But no way if it can't. Don't mind premium prices, but do need premium features.
    I’m sure Tim Cook is hiding under his desk because you won’t buy an Apple Watch and have declared it lame.
    Fidonet127
  • Reply 8 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    lkrupp said:
    I’m sure Tim Cook is hiding under his desk because you won’t buy an Apple Watch and have declared it lame.

Maybe he should be hiding under the desk where the buck stops.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    I'm sure Tim Cook is secretly browsing this forum and will appreciate you honourably leaping to his defence too.  What a guy you are.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayskdupuis77ctt_zhgatorguyllamacuriousrun8
  • Reply 10 of 22
    One must acquire at least a 30 watt Apple USB charger in order to be able to change the plug blades for international travel. That 30 watt charger was the included charger for my M1 MacBook Air. Of course, larger Apple chargers would work to also charge the watch so one needs to carry only one to share between iPads (mini v6 and Pro 11/12.9), iPhone with the USB C to lightening connector and the new watch charger. Just off Apple website and both the 61 watt and the 96 watt USB C chargers have delivery times into December.

Since I wear the watch only during the day, I am not getting a wedgee for faster chargers. The Apple dual charger works for my iPhone 13 Pro Max just fine and my series 6 watch over night. I do not travel to foreign countries with my iWatch as I do not wish to pay roaming charges for the cell phone capability of the watch.

We wear cheap watches so we come home with our hands still attached to our arms.
    edited October 2021
  • Reply 11 of 22
    That’s technology folks! It gets outdated yearly!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    You guys should not be this surprised. Apple is known for it’s secrecy even within the company. One team will not know what the other team is doing even they are within the same department. 

This is not the first time it happened and sure it will not be the last time.  
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
     Big deal; I have the duo, it charges fine, it won’t stop charging fine. Just because there’s a new gadget that can charge a bit faster, not a big deal, charging speeds are already fine, and the duo is perfect for travel: less outlets and cables required, easy to pack…

The bigger issue is, that on occasion the iPhone indicates it’s charging, and then you wake up in the morning, and the battery is (nearly) drained despite the phone supposedly charging. Fixing that is more relevant than “fast charging” 
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    lkrupp said:
    You have issues, dude. Also, we’re talking about the Duo charger, not the watch. 
    edited October 2021 GeorgeBMaccuriousrun8
  • Reply 15 of 22
    ApplePoor said:
    Since I wear the watch only during the day, I am not getting a wedgee for faster chargers. The Apple dual charger works for my iPhone 13 Pro Max just fine and my series 6 watch over night. I do not travel to foreign countries with my iWatch as I do not wish to pay roaming charges for the cell phone capability of the watch.

We wear cheap watches so we come home with our hands still attached to our arms.
    You don’t have to use cellular on your Watch overseas. I’ve never even activated it domestically. 

Have never thought twice about wearing it when abroad. Nobody is eyeing your Apple Watch with the plan to…cut your hands of? Or something?
    edited October 2021 llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    We have been places overseas where everyone that was not a "local" wore NO jewelry at all and dressed way down to avoid issues. The stolen iWatch is more than a year or two's salary. What ever force is necessary to get the items can be or has been used. 

As Americans have a unique dress style and clothing designs (we stand out like a sour thumb), the less attention one draws the better.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

If you want standardized, plain vanilla technology on everything then the Apple ecosystem is not for you I guess. Instead of demanding that Apple conform to the competition’s way of doing things why not just move to the competition? Apple doesn't exactly have a history of conforming to the rest of the world, does it, even though some governments are trying to force it to conform. What a wonderful world it will be when everybody wears the same clothes, speaks the same language, uses the same phones, same operating system, same apps, pays the same amount, can select any color as long as it’s black, oh, and uses the same connectivity even if it’s antiquated. Lord help us if the something better than Qi comes along and conformists block it until some bureaucrat signs off on it as the new standard.
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 22
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:

If you want standardized, plain vanilla technology on everything then the Apple ecosystem is not for you I guess. Instead of demanding that Apple conform to the competition’s way of doing things why not just move to the competition? Apple doesn't exactly have a history of conforming to the rest of the world, does it, even though some governments are trying to force it to conform. What a wonderful world it will be when everybody wears the same clothes, speaks the same language, uses the same phones, same operating system, same apps, pays the same amount, can select any color as long as it’s black, oh, and uses the same connectivity even if it’s antiquated. Lord help us if the something better than Qi comes along and conformists block it until some bureaucrat signs off on it as the new standard.
    The iPhone is Qi compatible.  Stop ranting and get a grip for once.  Qi compatibility for the watch would be very useful.
    gatorguyGeorgeBMaccuriousrun8
  • Reply 19 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    lkrupp said:

In many, many ways Apple is exactly that: standardised and vanilla. 

10 years of 5W charging. USB. WiFi. Qi. Only white in most accessories. And in software, iOS is probably the place where Apple literally forces users to dress the same way. 

Apple learnt the lessons (ADB, ADC, etc) but there are still areas that can be improved. 

The best way to innovate is taking standardised technology and adding to it. That way you can always fall back onto something pretty much universal and not have to sacrifice anything. 
    prismaticsctt_zh
  • Reply 20 of 22
    My poor $79 Apple Watch desktop charger can’t make the fast charging leap,  it no biggie since it sits on my nightstand and charges overnight anyhow. I am glad that the included charging cable is finally USB-C now so the last USB-A cable in my travel bag is finally gone. Also, this is where a fast charge is more handy to me anyhow - a quick charge as needed between flights while traveling. 
    watto_cobra