Books

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Greetings everyone,

I was wondering if you all had books that you would list as a must read. What have you all read lately and what do you suggest as good reading material? Any subject matter...

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Fantasy: Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Very good books, with believable characters and an excellent plot. Goodkind's writing makes it seem real.

Science Fiction: Essentially all of Micheal Crichtion's works of fiction, the Mission Earth series by L. Ron Hubbard.

Laughs: Books by Bill Bryson about travel, essentially anything written by Dave Barry.

Oh my god I've just read 100 pages of this book and I have no idea what the hell it was about at all: The Silmarillion. I still haven't managed to finish it, and no, I don't know what it's about quite yet.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    actually i just read a great book that when i was reading it made me think of you, fellowship. it's called "life of pi" by yann martel.

it's an allegory, and i've tried to write what it's about 10 times, but i can't without ruining it.

it's about a shipwrecked boy on a life boat with a tiger. that's all i can say about it. that's not giving anything away as that is the cover illustration.

it's not a lengthy read.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

actually i just read a great book that when i was reading it made me think of you, fellowship. it's called "life of pi" by yann martel.

it's an allegory, and i've tried to write what it's about 10 times, but i can't without ruining it.

it's about a shipwrecked boy on a life boat with a tiger. that's all i can say about it. that's not giving anything away as that is the cover illustration.

it's not a lengthy read.

And it won the Booker prize last year.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Make sure you listen to Queen's Greatest Hits when you read it.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 6 of 29
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

it's not a lengthy read.

I will purchase "life of pi" tomorrow.

Interesting "Clip"

Fellowship
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Greetings everyone,

I was wondering if you all had books that you would list as a must read. What have you all read lately and what do you suggest as good reading material? Any subject matter...

Fellowship

That's a big, nasty question, especially considering that I have no idea what kind of books you're asking about. One of my favorite reads is E. B. White's _The Points of My Compass_, which I believe is out of print (my copy is a first edition). You should be able to get it from your local library. White wrote _Charlotte's Web_, _Stuart Little_, edited and added to the _Elements of Style_, and was a staff writer for the _New Yorker_ and (I believe) _Harper's_. This book actually became a problem for me when I was writing my MA thesis, because I would read it over and over again instead of writing. Seriously. I was a friggin' junkie.

_TPOMC_ is a collection of essays he wrote (mostly) for the New Yorker in the 50s. White is a real curmudgeon, but he's probably the best essayist America has produced since Thoreau--and he is a huge fan, both in terms of style and politics.

You'd probably like it, considering he's got essays on everything from media hype surrounding hurricane Edna (in 1954) to some musings on the establishment of the UN to his gripes about how ugly cars have become (in 1958).

Again, I don't know much about you other than that we disagree violently on politics. Based purely on that, I suspect you'd like White's essays in this particular volume (or, perhaps, _One Man's Meat_, which is another stunningly good collection of essays), since I suspect you'd find him both agreeable and accessible.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 8 of 29
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

That's a big, nasty question, especially considering that I have no idea what kind of books you're asking about. One of my favorite reads is E. B. White's _The Points of My Compass_, which I believe is out of print (my copy is a first edition). You should be able to get it from your local library. White wrote _Charlotte's Web_, _Stuart Little_, edited and added to the _Elements of Style_, and was a staff writer for the _New Yorker_ and (I believe) _Harper's_. This book actually became a problem for me when I was writing my MA thesis, because I would read it over and over again instead of writing. Seriously. I was a friggin' junkie.

_TPOMC_ is a collection of essays he wrote (mostly) for the New Yorker in the 50s. White is a real curmudgeon, but he's probably the best essayist America has produced since Thoreau--and he is a huge fan, both in terms of style and politics.

You'd probably like it, considering he's got essays on everything from media hype surrounding hurricane Edna (in 1954) to some musings on the establishment of the UN to his gripes about how ugly cars have become (in 1958).

Again, I don't know much about you other than that we disagree violently on politics. Based purely on that, I suspect you'd like White's essays in this particular volume (or, perhaps, _One Man's Meat_, which is another stunningly good collection of essays), since I suspect you'd find him both agreeable and accessible.

Cheers

Scott

Greetings Scott,

I have decided to purchase "life of pi" tomorrow.

I like to field for all sorts of books to consider reading. Thanks for your reply but know it matters not what subject matter a book covers. I like all points of view and I take from each as I will.

Thanks again,

Fellowship
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

Greetings Scott,

I have decided to purchase "life of pi" tomorrow.

I like to field for all sorts of books to consider reading. Thanks for your reply but know it matters not what subject matter a book covers. I like all points of view and I take from each as I will.

Thanks again,

Fellowship

No worries. I've been waiting for it to come out in paperback. But I've been wanting to read it since it won the Booker.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 10 of 29
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    Personally, I'm partial to the fantasy genre. The most gripping (and not young-adult fantasy) book that I have read recently is Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. Wow - it's dark and engrossing - perfect for my tastes. Check it out.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Anything by Charles Bukowski but my favorites are:

Ham on Rye, Women, and Post Office
  • Reply 12 of 29
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I'd suggest that everyone who keeps posting in AppleOutsider read:

The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order by Samuel Huntington,

as well as Man, the State, and War by Kenneth Waltz
  • Reply 13 of 29
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    For you Fship: Nietszche's On the Geneology Of Morals

or Freud's The Future Of An Illusion

just ribbin ya there . . . .

but really: Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov is allways an amazing read

Don DeLillo's WhiteNoise is a good take on contemporary Americana

(all my DeLilillos (and I have them ALL!) are first editions . . . some of them signed)

here is a good old book that I really recommend

Norman O Brown's Life Against Death

he is a Freudian/Marxian/Blakean/Rilkian/Christian/mystic writer writing about human's and history as nuerosis, and the 'way out' . . . a vast encyclopeadic knowledge of important Western thinking about the human condition . . . . and insanely optimistic too
  • Reply 14 of 29
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Love's Body is a good one too.

D-Branes - Clifford Johnson
  • Reply 15 of 29
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Gertrude Stein, Three lives.

Because I hate you. hahaha, follow up with Djuna Barnes, NightWood.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Right now I am reading "Bush at War" by Bob Woodward and "Let Freedom Ring" by Sean Hannity. I recommend both.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    enaena Posts: 667member
    The Gulag Archipelago: 1918-1956 -- by Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn

You will never, ever, read anything like it.

get it $0.47 used at amazon, ena sez check it out if you dare.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    I intend to read this one:

La France malade de l'islamisme : Menaces terroristes sur l'Hexagone

by Mohamed Sifaoui
  • Reply 19 of 29
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    The Similiarion is like sitting down and reading someone's notes for fun. I've read it twice and still pull interesting "facts" out, but it's not something I'd grab to read for pleasure.

There are too many good books out there! I just started a list for myself based on book reviews I've read and plan on stockpiling them. Then when I'm too old to do anything else, I can read.8)

But in keeping with the thread, I'd say what to read depends on why you are reading--entertainment, enlightenment, spiritual growth, sense of history?

The Wives of Henry the Eighth was fascinating as well as To the Scaffold: The Life of Maria Antoinette if you are interested in history. Currently I'm working on biography on Andrew Jackson that I was supposed to have read back in college. It's not a dull book, but by the time the children are in bed, I'm too tired to even read.

For diversion, I like Tom Clancy. I'm still trying to get into The Bear and the Dragon. And then there are literally reams of classics: Sherlock Holmes, The Three Musketeers, The Scarlet Pumpernickel, just to name a few, were all great fun.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rick1138

Love's Body is a good one too.

Wow . . . it surprises me to find someone who has read it.

I love that book, as well as Closing Time but I think that those are really for people who are either really into NOBrown or into Joyce and Vico(Closing Time) . . that's me . . .

Also, some good essays in his Apocalypse and/or Metamorphosis

I was very influenced by his work about 10 years ago . . .

I can't work myself into the same 'mystic' revery that he used to give me but I still like his work . . . I am, in fact, rereading Life Against Death at this very moment, but I woun't tell you why . . .

I would hate for anybody that knows me to know that pfflam is who I am

I want to be secret, and AI to be my dirty little secret . . -incognito