Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    seanmseanm Posts: 69member
    Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1434?vi=glance
  • Reply 22 of 29
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Quote:

Wow . . . it surprises me to find someone who has read it.

I love that book, as well as Closing Time but I think that those are really for people who are either really into NOBrown or into Joyce and Vico(Closing Time) . . that's me . . .

Also, some good essays in his Apocalypse and/or Metamorphosis

I was very influenced by his work about 10 years ago . . .

I can't work myself into the same 'mystic' revery that he used to give me but I still like his work . . . I am, in fact, rereading Life Against Death at this very moment, but I woun't tell you why . . .

They are all great books. Another I like that is similar in content, though from another perspective is Thomas Frosch's The Awakening of Albion
  • Reply 23 of 29

By George Orwell.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

By George Orwell.

hahahah have anything to do with this?

catch-22 is supposed to be good, I'm looking to read it soon.

The HG2G is also very entertaining (Douglas Adams)... but I don't know if you would like it fellowship...

along the lines of 1984, The Giver by Lois Lowry (i think) is a very good read.... makes you think
  • Reply 25 of 29
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

Fantasy: Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Very good books, with believable characters and an excellent plot. Goodkind's writing makes it seem real.

I've been meaning to read that for forever and three days. Have you read the Wheel of Time yet? I think I remember reading some where that most people only liked one or the other, but it's a vague memory that could easily be wrong. I hope Robert Jordan can finish it before he dies of old age
  • Reply 26 of 29
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

hahahah have anything to do with this?

catch-22 is supposed to be good, I'm looking to read it soon.

The HG2G is also very entertaining (Douglas Adams)... but I don't know if you would like it fellowship...

Catch-22 IS good. One of the best books I've ever read.

Brad, along the lines of 1984, I'd suggested Brave New World by Aldous Huxley as well as Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, which is better than the movie IMO.

And, since no one's mentioned it here, Dune is the best book EVAR (tho H2G2 as a collective series is a personal favorite)
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

We just read this in our monthly book club, and Yann Martel was in town last week for the literary festival. I missed his meeting (sold out) but the friend who was there said that yes, the book is specifically about religion.

It is a very good book, and definitely worth the read. Basically it explains why we use fantasy to teach religion.

I definitely recommend you read this book, Fellowship. Among other things, it will teach you that faith is not always enough to get you through adversity.

i don't know if it's specifically about religion, (although Pi has a talent for religion! lol) i do think it's about faith. you can have faith without religion, i believe that anyway.

i picked it up from my wife's night-stand (who has much religious faith, not enough to make up for me i'm afraid..... ) probably because of the cover, it piqued my curiosity. then the intro...."this is a story that will make you believe in god" and i'm like yeah, ok, give it your best shot.

the ending, ("life of Pi" may have the best ending ever!) and the choice the reader invariably has to make (i'm being careful here) reaffirmed my atheistic views but reaffirmed my wife's christian ones. that's why i thought i would like to hear fellowship's take on it.