what was your first car ? (try to find a picture)

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 Coupe. It's a pretty rare car here in America and it's in what I like to call the "Bond" colour and it has the leaper on the bonnet so it gets a lot of attention. I wish I had a decent pic of it. Anyway, I absolutely LOVE British cars, their interiors with all the wood and the timeless exteriors are just amazing. I plan on my next car being something like a 1996 Range Rover or if I can somehow get a little more $ together, a 1997 XJR, or a 2002 X-Type.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member

Paid 17000 for it in late 2001, and as is the case inthe people's republic of Maryland, ended up being blackmailed in a state-sanctioned fashion for another 3k (tax, tags, certification). It's an extremely rare 95/96 American Rx-7, meaning that it's a Japanese 96 badged as a 95. There were a few reliability and performance improvements between 95 and 96. It probably sold for over 40k back in 96, and it actually has the potential to gain value since it's one of 28 cars like it (on earth!).

Anyway, it has had some mild work done to it, and it's dangerously fast. I have never gone full speed, which is somewhere between 160 and 170 mph. Fortunately, it's low to the ground and has great handling, so even when you do spin it out (and you really have to try) it comes nowhere close to flipping. . . Not like top heavy Porsches. (at least pre-996 911s).

If I run into some money in the next year or so I'm going to convert it into a type-RZ. . . . and drop in a programmable engine control system and a renesis engine. (The first is needed for the second)
  • Reply 43 of 51
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    1970 Volvo 144. It was 10 years old with 79,000 miles on it when I bought it for $1200. I put another 100,000 on it. Just like photo only sky blue in color.

• Reply 44 of 51
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    1967 Barracuda. Mine was this color with a bumble-bee stripe on the rear quarters.

I slid it into a snowbank in a storm and cracked the subframe.

Then I got this:

Mine was red with a black top (that leaked like a sieve in hard rain). Sweet car- great looks, handled really well, and great on gas. I sold it when I moved to NYC.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    1977 Chevy Nova. Not this one...but same body color. Man, that machine was tough. I ran it into the ground and sold it for $200.

• Reply 46 of 51
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member

not in this nice a condition (and mine was left hand drive), but the 1967 MGB was fun.

traded it for a 75,

1800cc got overworked enough to put a rod through the block, and it's final incarnation was still "safety yellow" but with a rebuilt 73 engine... eventually passed on to a step-sister (not her in picture)

• Reply 47 of 51
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    95 cherokee sport, forrest green. it was stolen after 2 years, recovered but never drove the same, above 55 mph it got the shakes real bad. punching the accelerator on the highway resulted in the gas meter going from full to near-empty -- always a kick. nearly flipped the thing a couple of times. millege/safety not worth it...

• Reply 48 of 51
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I never would have guessed they had a picture of this on line. Looked just like this sans roof rack.

Parked it in font of a F-150 sideways at speed. I have pic's of the results too but they are hardcopy and at "home".

Ford Fairmont Station Wagon 1980

• Reply 49 of 51
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member

1991 Toyota Corolla, exactly like this except a slightly darker shade of red. It has about 180k miles on it and it's still going strong. Fewer problems than the 1997 Mercury Villager my family also has.

Although the Corolla was the first car I could really call "my own," the first car I ever drove was also the first I ever rode in, a 1968 Volkswagen Beetle.

• Reply 50 of 51
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Whoa. Anyone else getting this freakishly appropriate banner while reading this thread?

• Reply 51 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tmp

Mine was red with a black top (that leaked like a sieve in hard rain). Sweet car- great looks, handled really well, and great on gas. I sold it when I moved to NYC.

Is that a Fiat Spyder 1600cc? My dad's first car was a 72 Fiat Spyder 1600cc that he bought in 74, for what I think was about 3000 bucks. His was red and didn't leak at first, or so he says, and had a max speed of 110. Eventually the electrical went. Anyway, the fact that he had a small sportscar at a young age, bought on money from working construction, was why he convinced me to do the same thing. He's convinced it was responsible for his social life, and the reason why my mother originally decided to go out with him.

Unfourtutely I haven't had any luck with my 7 aside from my friend Jay who always announces to the entourage around him that "This is my friend John, and he drives a 3rd gen RX-7." Still no luck so far. . .

Persistence.