Compared: 2021 New 16-inch MacBook Pro vs. 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    I was like a duck going after a June bug. At the starting gun, after the video presentation, I ordered the 14" M1 Max model with 64GB of memory and a 4TB drive. It will be here on 26th of October which is the release date. I have all the same component specifications as the new 16" model but a more user friendly screen size for use on airlines and on our Airstream side desk. On the road, my iPad 11 M1 can serve as an auxiliary screen.

I have an external fast 8TB SSD from OWC that cost just over $1,600 for extra storage. That is a more flexible solution than the 8TB inside the laptop like on my fully loaded 2019 MacBook Pro. Plus it can be connected to my iPad 11 M1 with 2TB of storage memory, the 13" MBAir M1 with a 1TB SSD and the 2019 16" MacBook Pro.

I have become totally Apple starting in 1990. A fully loaded IIfx (Motorola 68040) was over $10,000 with a 80Mb 5" disk drive eight memory cards an video card for an 80 pound Radeon Color monitor. My favorite workhorse in the day was a Iici.

I see some models of the new series laptops are delivered starting in December. The chip shortage is probably a major contributor to these extending delivery times, but I hope it it also reflects robust sales.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    Embedding the camera into the menu bar is a real win. In particular on the 16" model, there should be no space shortage for menus and icons left and right of the camera. See it this way: On the Intel MacBook Pro you have the wide camera bezel AND a mostly unused menu bar middle section below...

I'm only wondering why the camera notch is so wide? I don't think the camera, LED and ambient light sensor need so much space. Are there yet unannounced sensors included?
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 40
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    laytech said:
    Im sure someone has commented above but no Face ID, surely not. Are we still logging in with finger print? Surely not.
    So?  I prefer TouchID and I would prefer it on the iPhone as well.    It's easier to stick a finger over there than to have to stare at the camera and be recognized.   Especially on the phone in the car.    I HAVE to buy a new IPhone because I'm currently using an iPhone6 and a lot of the apps won't work anymore and it's bugging me that they won't restore TouchID until next year, so I'm going to be stuck without it. 

williamlondondarkvader
  • Reply 24 of 40
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:
    Im sure someone has commented above but no Face ID, surely not. Are we still logging in with finger print? Surely not.
    So?  I prefer TouchID and I would prefer it on the iPhone as well.    It's easier to stick a finger over there than to have to stare at the camera and be recognized.   Especially on the phone in the car.    I HAVE to buy a new IPhone because I'm currently using an iPhone6 and a lot of the apps won't work anymore and it's bugging me that they won't restore TouchID until next year, so I'm going to be stuck without it. 

Sound like maybe you haven't used Face ID.  You don't have to "stare at the camera" - just a glance.  It's almost instantaneous.  Much faster than fingerprint for me.  The device is usually unlocked before my eyes see the open lock at the top of the screen.  I assume that when you "stick a finger over there", you then look at the device?  That same look would have it already unlocked, without you touching anything.  And for the phone in the car, I prefer to use Siri - no touching or looking anywhere.

And I wouldn't hold my breath "waiting until next year".  No one knows if Apple will ever return Touch ID.  Face ID is superior in almost all scenarios (and is proven more secure), so why return to something that is in general, inferior?
    williamlondonwatto_cobraGeorgeBMacroundaboutnow
  • Reply 25 of 40
    nicholfd said:
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:

And I wouldn't hold my breath "waiting until next year".  No one knows if Apple will ever return Touch ID.  Face ID is superior in almost all scenarios (and is proven more secure), so why return to something that is in general, inferior?
    Except when you are wearing masks and try to unlock your phone in the last 1.5 years.
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerdarkvader
  • Reply 26 of 40
    nicholfd said:
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:

Except when you are wearing masks and try to unlock your phone in the last 1.5 years.
    Not if you have an Apple Watch (I do).  My watch unlocks my phone almost as quickly as my face does.  The only time I'm not wearing my watch is when I'm cleaning up/showering.  So not an issue for me.

ps. I did say "almost".
    williamlondonStrangeDayspscooter63MplsPrandominternetpersonwatto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 27 of 40
    nicholfd said:
    nicholfd said:
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:

Not if you have an Apple Watch (I do).  My watch unlocks my phone almost as quickly as my face does.  The only time I'm not wearing my watch is when I'm cleaning up/showering.  So not an issue for me.

ps. I did say "almost".
    There are 1 billion+ active iPhones in the world, of which at least 700-800 million would be having FaceID. How many of those iPhone owners have Apple Watch to unlock their iPhones? Yes, it is NOT an issue for you. But what about the rest of the world population who do not have Apple Watches?

Edit: My earlier estimate of 700-800 million iPhones with FaceID seems to be on the higher side. For the last 4 years, considering a total of 800 million iPhones sold, it would be between 500-600 million iPhones with FaceID currently active, with earlier generation iPhones (7, 8 and SE series) making up the rest. Even then, the percentage of iPhone users with FaceID but not owning an Apple Watch is a HUGE population and their needs cannot be brushed aside just like that.
    edited October 2021 williamlondonpscooter63vedelppadarkvader
  • Reply 28 of 40
    My 2018 2.6 Ghz I7 MBPw/ 32 RAM is plenty "fast" for me. The only problem I have with it is that the fans are almost always on, if not blowing up an actual storm, even when Activity Monitor says it's more than 80% idle. Fan noise is a problem for me because I need to record clean audio right next to it, and I can't have fan noise in the recording. I suspect that the Window Server process is a big factor as it's almost always at the top of Activity monitor. Apple even had to replace the motherboard and battery after it got swollen from the heat (I presume), and yes I've always kept the fans & insides clean.

So here I am trying to justify spending $3-4k to have less fan noise, which seems crazy! I've heard that the M1 Mini's rarely turn on their fans, even under heavy load, so it seems likely that these new MBPs will be similar, but it's hard getting my head (and wallet) wrapped around the idea that I have to spend (realistically) $4k to fix Fan Noise. Fingers crossed that'll actually fix it!  (Yes, I could get a lesser version, but I typically try to future proof... and switching to a much cheaper MacMini is not an option for me unfortunately).

I guess this is kind of a rant. Sorry! 
    vedelppajeffreytgilbertwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Due to the soldered mentality at Apple, one has to buy the most memory, fastest processors and much larger SSD to try and future proof the new device.

My 2012 Mac Pro is still running, but slowly and hangs up often. Figuring out to save the two 27" Lightening monitors that work fine for me and are attached to the wall.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 40
    nicholfd said:
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:

Sound like maybe you haven't used Face ID.  You don't have to "stare at the camera" - just a glance.  It's almost instantaneous.  Much faster than fingerprint for me.  The device is usually unlocked before my eyes see the open lock at the top of the screen.  I assume that when you "stick a finger over there", you then look at the device?  That same look would have it already unlocked, without you touching anything.  And for the phone in the car, I prefer to use Siri - no touching or looking anywhere.

Siri requires the phone to be unlocked to do some things. Legislation in Australia says a phone must be secured in a recognised mount and if you look away from the road ahead (for any reason) and a collision occurs, you are at least partly at fault. You cannot handle the phone if the key is in the ignition (whether the engine is on or off).

I used to have my iPhone 6+ secured in a cup-holder mount and it was easy to locate it by touch, place my finger on the sensor to unlock or long-hold to trigger Siri (I don't use the "Hey, Siri" option). FaceID is nowhere near as convenient for that use case.
    watto_cobradarkvader
  • Reply 31 of 40
    nicholfd said:
    nicholfd said:
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:

ps. I did say "almost".
    There are 1 billion+ active iPhones in the world, of which at least 700-800 million would be having FaceID. How many of those iPhone owners have Apple Watch to unlock their iPhones? Yes, it is NOT an issue for you. But what about the rest of the world population who do not have Apple Watches?

Edit: My earlier estimate of 700-800 million iPhones with FaceID seems to be on the higher side. For the last 4 years, considering a total of 800 million iPhones sold, it would be between 500-600 million iPhones with FaceID currently active, with earlier generation iPhones (7, 8 and SE series) making up the rest. Even then, the percentage of iPhone users with FaceID but not owning an Apple Watch is a HUGE population and their needs cannot be brushed aside just like that.
    We're talking about unlocking Macs here, not iPhones.  AppleWatch + MacBook is a great combination. The only time I use the TouchID on my MacBook is for purchases; otherwise it just logs be in automatically.  I'm sure FaceID would be cool too (and I'll welcome it when it comes), but for the millions of people who own Apple Watches, these new MacBook Pros don't need FaceID.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 32 of 40
    nicholfd said:
    nicholfd said:
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:

ps. I did say "almost".

We're talking about unlocking Macs here, not iPhones.  AppleWatch + MacBook is a great combination. The only time I use the TouchID on my MacBook is for purchases; otherwise it just logs be in automatically.  I'm sure FaceID would be cool too (and I'll welcome it when it comes), but for the millions of people who own Apple Watches, these new MacBook Pros don't need FaceID.
    Well, we (zoetmb, nicholfd and myself) deviated from the original topic of this thread in the last 7-8 posts quite a bit and were debating about TouchID in iPhones. In that context, I stand by what I wrote.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 40
    My 2018 2.6 Ghz I7 MBPw/ 32 RAM is plenty "fast" for me. The only problem I have with it is that the fans are almost always on, if not blowing up an actual storm, even when Activity Monitor says it's more than 80% idle. Fan noise is a problem for me because I need to record clean audio right next to it, and I can't have fan noise in the recording. I suspect that the Window Server process is a big factor as it's almost always at the top of Activity monitor. Apple even had to replace the motherboard and battery after it got swollen from the heat (I presume), and yes I've always kept the fans & insides clean.

So here I am trying to justify spending $3-4k to have less fan noise, which seems crazy! I've heard that the M1 Mini's rarely turn on their fans, even under heavy load, so it seems likely that these new MBPs will be similar, but it's hard getting my head (and wallet) wrapped around the idea that I have to spend (realistically) $4k to fix Fan Noise. Fingers crossed that'll actually fix it!  (Yes, I could get a lesser version, but I typically try to future proof... and switching to a much cheaper MacMini is not an option for me unfortunately).

I guess this is kind of a rant. Sorry! 
    Hello fellow consumer,

I recently had this very same issue. The fan noise is ever present with the intel macbook pros and it runs the fans at very low rpm (2k) until you get on a video conference call, or plug in a 4k monitor, or run on catalina, or try running audio software, and at that point the fans spin from 4k-6k which is significantly loud. 

Having a studio quality mic array next to spinning fans makes them pointless. I also ran external mics to help solve the issue, but it was only mildly successful as the fan noise would still go bananas. Due to this, I recently purchased the cheapest m1 mini i could get until apple released THIS macbook pro update with real cpu/gpu combos that aren’t mobile phone quality. I will tell you, the m1 mac mini is dead quiet. Big sur is a beautiful upgrade as well. 

I was also one of the persons clamoring for this announcement and my purchase was the M1 Max w/ 64gb of LPDDR5 ram, which by the way is bonkers in and of itself. Aren’t the intel macbook pros still using LPDDR4? Maybe I’m wrong on that part, but this device should just be an absolutely silent beast of a machine. I can’t wait for it to get here! 

PS, I have a long standing gripe with Apple over their ugly black borders at the tops of screens, chins at the bottoms of imacs, and use of subpar cameras on all their desktop computers in the age of inexpensive 12 megapixel phone cameras, however I will grant them a hall pass on this one because everything else is so obviously fabulous I can’t possibly care about the very slight but still nice to have improvement to the bundled webcam 
    edited October 2021 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    One important feature I do wish Apple to consider is touch screen capability on the monitor. After using iPad and iPhone for so many years, I have a habit of touching my MacBook screen for certain interaction when I realize it's not a touch screen. It's a more logical move than a Touch Bar.

As I remember, the TouchBar was created in order to negate the need for a touch screen -- which were becoming increasingly popular at the time.  Apple at the time argued that a touch screen on a laptop made no sense as it was ergonomically uncomfortable.  While that may be true, it ignores the occasional need for one (say to sign a document or markup a paper).  It also keeps them in denial over the multiple benefits 2 in 1's provide to customers.

I don't think Apple will have a choice (if its customers get a say).  It will have to add a touch screen to the Mac -- the computer gains nothing by not having one but instead restricts a lot of functionality that would benefit its customers.

With Macs & iPads both sporting the same processor, the technical reason for not doing it fell away.

The main reason for not doing so is that MacOS would not support it.  But, now that the conversion to Apple Silicon is essentially complete, that freed up a lot of resources that could be used to enhance the OS -- such as by adding touch & pencil support to its existing functionality.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    nicholfd said:
    zoetmb said:
    laytech said:

Get a watch
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Have the latest software/firmware in my iWatch v6 and iPhone 13 Pro Max. Every time I check out with a mask on, I have to manually enter my access code on the iPhone. So no, all is not implemented as advertised.

Get an iPad 12.9 which is nearly the same size as a 13" MacBook Pro. It can lay flat for writing. My 14" Mac Book Pro m1 Max goes just past vertical for viewing, not writing.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 40
    ApplePoor said:
    Have the latest software/firmware in my iWatch v6 and iPhone 13 Pro Max. Every time I check out with a mask on, I have to manually enter my access code on the iPhone. So no, all is not implemented as advertised.

Get an iPad 12.9 which is nearly the same size as a 13" MacBook Pro. It can lay flat for writing. My 14" Mac Book Pro m1 Max goes just past vertical for viewing, not writing.
    Did you turn on the "Unlock with Apple Watch"?  It's not on by default.  Settings app -> Face ID & Passcode -> UNLOCK WITH APPLE WATCH

With it on, it works consistently for me.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    ApplePoor said:

Check in setting under "face id & passcode":  there's a switch for whether or not to "Unlock with Apple Watch".

That might be the problem.

• Reply 39 of 40
    Yes that switch always has been on. IWatch works fine unlocking the computer when needed. The watch itself is capable of making an Apple Pay transaction. It just never releases when I am masked and the iPhone is next the the device. I have to enter the six digit security code.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 40
    ApplePoor said:
    Yes that switch always has been on. IWatch works fine unlocking the computer when needed. The watch itself is capable of making an Apple Pay transaction. It just never releases when I am masked and the iPhone is next the the device. I have to enter the six digit security code.
    The switch is unrelated to unlocking computer & Apple Pay.  The switch is exclusively for unlocking the iPhone if a mask is detected.  If you thought the switch was related to these other two function, it is not, and you might want to confirm the toggle is on.

Is Bluetooth on all the time on the iPhone?  Are you maybe wearing some oddball face mask that looks nothing like most face masks?  And you may not be aware, but if everything is on, and the iPhone fails to detect a face mask, on the enter unlock PIN screen you can slide up from the bottom to make it try again (up to 3 x times, I think).