NYC Smoking Ban

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 103
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

BR, do you always feel the need to hijack every SINGLE thread you post in?

we know your isssue. we know FS'es. let it go.

it's not like you're saying anything new here, let it go. grow up. it's very, very, very tired. it needs to rest a bit.

Bah! It's a valid parallel. He was talking about tyranny of the masses and I wanted to make sure he was consistent about fighting against it. Anyway, the thread was dead by the time Fellowship answered. Back off please.
  • Reply 102 of 103
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    They banned smoking here in Ottawa restuarants and bars a year or two ago. In fact, the NYC people asked people from Ottawa to come down and testify about the experience here. That led to some backlash - e.g. 'who needs the commie Canadians to tell us what to do' etc.

In any case, the restaurant and bar owners griped before and after the ban. Some complained that business was down - but others admitted that business was up. Some turned themselves into 'private clubs' (membership $1.00 at the door) to try to get around the law. Others tried (and are still trying, I think) to fight the law in court.

Ultimately, I think that this helps bars and restuarants. For every person who no longer is a customer because they resent having to go outside to smoke, there is at least one person who goes into a restaurant or bar that they would not have gone into before. For many of us, the omnipresent whiff of smoke ruins a good (and expensive) meal or even a good beer. Others (asthmatics, for example) simply cannot tolerate it at all. And non-smoking sections do not work -somehow the smoke does not respect the boundaries!
  • Reply 103 of 103
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I hate smoke at restaurant. One smoker near you, and it's the end of a tasteful meal.

Normally in great restaurants, you may take a cigar in another room when your diner is finish with a good glass of fine Cognac.

But smoking while eating is lame.

I would not tolerate that somebody smoke at a restaurant where i paid 100 bucks per people to eat.