Jony Ive's LoveFrom unveils Terra Carta Seal recognizing corporate sustainability efforts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2021
Former Apple CDO Jony Ive's LoveFrom design studio on Wednesday unveiled the Terra Carta Seal, an award conferred upon companies that are leading efforts to create sustainable markets.

Terra Carta Seal

The Terra Carta, a charter that details a sustainable future through participation from private corporations, is part of Prince Charles' Sustainable Markets Initiative. The environmental enterprise focuses on climate change and was launched this year to "reunite people and planet, by giving fundamental rights and value to Nature."

This week, the inaugural Terra Carta Seal was awarded to 45 companies that have illustrated a commitment to limit global warming, reports Wallpaper. Recipients were announced at the start of the three-day Terra Carta Action Forum and include Amazon, Salesforce, HP, IBM and Apple chip partner TSMC, according to Forbes.

Wallpaper delves into the intricacies of LoveFrom's seal, which features a circular design that combines nature imagery with sacred geometry and a bespoke font. Inhabiting the central section of the seal are oak leaves, acorns, ferns, magnolia, phlox, ladybirds, monarch butterflies, birds and honey bees, elements that embody Terra Carta's green vision.

"We have reinforced the resilience and fertility of nature by allowing these natural elements to gently take control of the image," Ive said. "This is a visually lush celebration of the power of nature, and far from being superficial decoration, these natural forms are what gives the design life."

Vine-like elements outline seven overlapping circles and intertwine with "Terra Carta" lettering accomplished in a special LoveFrom Serif font developed by Ive. Inspired by the work of printer and type designer John Baskerville, the typeface is also used to reproduce the Terra Carta motto that surrounds the seal's graphic.

"We spent all this time creating a typeface that we would use for our identity: we didn't want a logo, we wanted something far more modest, more similar to a dialogue," Ive noted. "We thought we would use this typeface for our friends; we couldn't think of a better way to take advantage of a few years of work around the Terra Carta, and I think it works really quite well. You can see the typography is clearly central to the seal, but I was seduced by the gentle, slightly anarchic dominance of the natural references."

Ive and his team made multiple versions of the Terra Carta Seal, including digital representations and a paper seal that is printed on handmade paper produced by British paper mill James Cropper. The paper version, created through a laborious process of printing, embossing, die-cutting and micro-perforation, is attached to a commemorative summarium and presented to Terra Carta Seal winners.

In explaining the craftwork behind the seal, Ive said that his LoveFrom studio applies a design philosophy he cultivated while at Apple.

"For decades at Apple, one of my preoccupations has been this idea that if we have discipline in our thinking practice we hold ourselves accountable with our thinking, and the result is that we can be light with our implementation," Ive said. "This really has become such a central part to the way that we see problems and the way that we practice."

Ive is credited with designing the Terra Carta and in July launched the Terra Carta Design Lab, a competition that invited students from London's Royal College of Art to explore and create solutions for a sustainable future.

Ive departed Apple in 2019 to form his design consultancy and has since been contracted by the likes of Airbnb and Ferrari.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Is this an exercise in heraldry, or is this supposed to be a recognizable logo, which companies can display to distinguish themselves in the marketplace?

If it’s supposed to be the latter, it’s a horrible design: much too intricate, too colorful => needs to much space, needs to be seen close up, etc.

Would have expected better logo design from such a famous company…
    williamhwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 26
    That’s just it. He isn’t doing what’s expected. The seal is a physical thing. And it has a digital one. 

At first glance, I did not like it. But I get why it is the way it is. 

Still, it’s kind of meh. And I’ve spotted some spacing snd shape errors. Kind of strange. Are they mistakes, or purposeful to not look “computer perfect?”

Jony is certainly capable of perfect symmetry, shape, and spacing as well as powerful simplicity. So I’m guessing it’s intentional. 

Interesting. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 26
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,481member
    This design is difficult to look at. It’s like he is trying so hard to distance himself from his Apple work that he has divorced himself from the qualities the made his work appealing. Even his company name LoveFrom fells nonsensical and contrived for no reason. LoveForm would have made sense and embraced his design Image. 

fred1williamhwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 26
    The guy clearly likes the smell of his own farts.
    sdw2001williamhAI_liassbdudewilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 26
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    If this doesn't represent how out of touch our elite class is, I don't know what does.  Not to slam AI at all here, but this is a story about a former Apple design chief who "unveiled" a.....logo.  But wait, it's better.  It's a logo for an abstract "sustainability" initiative pushed by professional climate lunatic, hypocrite and royal bag of douche, Prince Chaahhles.  I get why AI would cover it...Jonny Ive was responsible for such much that is Apple.  But this guy seems to have become a caricature of himself.  Remember the parodies about (fake) Apple product introductions? That's nearly what this is.  I'd like it better if he, you know, designed a beautiful product that was functional and helped the environment. 

williamhwilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 26
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,044member
    sdw2001 said:
    If this doesn't represent how out of touch our elite class is, I don't know what does.  Not to slam AI at all here, but this is a story about a former Apple design chief who "unveiled" a.....logo.  But wait, it's better.  It's a logo for an abstract "sustainability" initiative pushed by professional climate lunatic, hypocrite and royal bag of douche, Prince Chaahhles.  I get why AI would cover it...Jonny Ive was responsible for such much that is Apple.  But this guy seems to have become a caricature of himself.  Remember the parodies about (fake) Apple product introductions? That's nearly what this is.  I'd like it better if he, you know, designed a beautiful product that was functional and helped the environment. 

Thank you! Could not have said it better. 
    sdw2001williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 239member
    sdw2001 said:

Regardless of the merits of the logo, when you have nothing to say about the central questions of our time, you resort to calling people ‘hypocrites,’ it’s easy, and it’s a form of pointless ‘whataboutism.’ But, the simple truth is that the conservative intends to conserve only power and privilege, nothing else. Certainly NOT nature. They deeply resent anyone who points out problems, crises, or the insanity of their beloved political-economic system. So, they resort to slander, as they did with Rachel Carson, Dr King, and continue to do with Prince Charles, Al Gore and Greta Thunberg. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 26
    IMHO, I think this is an example of how tired he was of continuously making Apple products and wanted to do something different after decades of being responsible for any success or failure from Apple, design wise.  

I think it would be grueling to have to continuously create successful products both hardware and software, especially if you don’t have a Steve Jobs around to give you some honest criticism about your designs. 

Alex_V
  • Reply 9 of 26
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,305member
    Amazon earned this award, with their thousands of servers churning away and diesel trucks delivering packages all over the planet? Right. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 26
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 436member
    You could have given this job to an up-and-coming  graphic artist fresh out of college, and would have done just as good or a better job.
    sbdudewilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 26
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 287member
    Alex_V said:
    sdw2001 said:

Regardless of the merits of the logo, when you have nothing to say about the central questions of our time, you resort to calling people ‘hypocrites,’ it’s easy, and it’s a form of pointless ‘whataboutism.’ But, the simple truth is that the conservative intends to conserve only power and privilege, nothing else. Certainly NOT nature. They deeply resent anyone who points out problems, crises, or the insanity of their beloved political-economic system. So, they resort to slander, as they did with Rachel Carson, Dr King, and continue to do with Prince Charles, Al Gore and Greta Thunberg. 

I guess turnabout is fair game, then? So you counter whataboutisms with blanket statements and gross assumptions? I happen to be conservative, and I also happen to have solar on my house, all LED lighting, a plug-in hybrid, and drip irrigation on a smart controller, just to name a few. So what now? Conservatives can care about nature.

Also, in case you missed that part in history class, Dr. Martin Luther King was a Republican, and Republicans abolished slavery. The Democrats were not, but they've done a really great job of helping you forget. Or do they not teach that in history class these days?
    edited November 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 26
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,140member
    sbdude said:
    Alex_V said:
    sdw2001 said:

I guess turnabout is fair game, then? So you counter whataboutisms with blanket statements and gross assumptions? I happen to be conservative, and I also happen to have solar on my house, all LED lighting, a plug-in hybrid, and drip irrigation on a smart controller, just to name a few. So what now? Conservatives can care about nature.

Also, in case you missed that part in history class, Dr. Martin Luther King was a Republican, and Republicans abolished slavery. The Democrats were not, but they've done a really great job of helping you forget. Or do they not teach that in history class these days?
    And the southern racists in the Democratic party switched to the Republican party over civil rights in the 1960s and 1970. You can't compare the parties in history without recognizing their policies and priorities at the time.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 26
    1348513485 Posts: 363member
    Eh. Very 1970s looking. and not in a good way.

Since it exemplifies environmental concern, do you actually get your copy of the seal/crest/whatever, imprinted on certified panda-free bamboo forest waste, transported by free-range burros? Or maybe you just get to see the mental image of the award, flashed to you by His Jonyness at the appropriate time. Or maybe you just "know" you've won the award (in which case thank you, thank you, you're too kind, we did this for all the little people...)

It's what the royals have done historically, but do we really care about awards like this?

• Reply 14 of 26
    mknelson said:
    sbdude said:
    Alex_V said:
    sdw2001 said:

And the southern racists in the Democratic party switched to the Republican party over civil rights in the 1960s and 1970. You can't compare the parties in history without recognizing their policies and priorities at the time.
    That is not true.  LBJ needed Republicans to push through civil rights legislation.  The notion that the racist Dems all became Republicans is nothing but leftist gaslighting.  

• Reply 15 of 26
    Alex_V said:
    sdw2001 said:

First, I wasn't aware that I owed you a book report on the "central questions of our time."  If you would like to discuss so-called climate change, its impacts and potential solutions, I'm happy to do that.  

Secondly, I notice it's become a fashionable deflection to scream "whataboutism!!!" when leftist hypocrisy is exposed.  Our elites (Chaaahhles, other royals, politicians, actors, billionaires, etc.) frequently fly all around the world and use massive gas-powered motorcades (like Biden's 85 vehicle one at COP) to lecture everyone on the dangers of fossil fuels, eating meat and dairy, driving cars and other activities that most of the planet does.  They crow on about an "emergency" while they are emitting more carbon than the average person could in years.  So yes, it's hypocrisy.  Utter hypocrisy.  And since they all have enough resources to overcome the expense and inconvenience of high fuel and food prices, home prices, blackouts, high taxes, and supply shortages, it's pure, arrogant elitism.  

Third, you clearly know precisely d*ck about conservatives.  In addition to ignoring the utter hypocrisy of someone like Prince F*cking Charles talking about "privilege," your view of "the conservative" is ignorant and two-dimensional.   I happen to be a conservative and believer in liberty.  I, too, have things like solar panels (which covers nearly 100% of my electric use) and an electric lawn mower.  I'm likely going to buy an electric vehicle within the next few years. My principles cause me to support things like low and simpler taxes, school choice, limited government, as well as gun and speech rights. They also cause me to support national infrastructure projects, our military and legal system, police and fire, public parks and spaces, and sensible regulation of our capitalist system--including environmental regulation.  

Finally, I want to identify and hear about problems and crises so we can develop solutions that will improve our lives and planet. But that doesn't mean I'm going to listen to political whores who know little to nothing about science and often have their own agendas.  I'm not going to listen to media-created, phony characters like Greta Thunberg (who, now that she's 18, I'm allowed to call a twat).   I'm not going to listen Al Gore, who has been wrong about every single climate prediction since 1989.  No, thanks.  What I'll do instead is look at the actual data and draw conclusions about the scope of the problem, it's potential impacts, and potential solutions.  If you want to get into that, let me know.  Otherwise, good day.  
    edited November 2021 hexclock
  • Reply 16 of 26
    sbdude said:
    Alex_V said:
    sdw2001 said:

If you’re not an environmentalist, I guess you’re one of those libertarian survivalists. FYI, I didn’t take US history class because I wasn’t educated up in the US. Nevertheless, I’ll fill in the major holes in your history lesson. Simply: It’s true that the Democratic Party originally represented working class white voters, and their voters in the South we’re mostly white bigots who felt threatened by the black population. This contradiction was overcome during the civil rights movement which the Democrats got behind, and Johnson (Democrat) implemented the Civil Right Act. Black voters then largely made the Democratic Party their home. Nixon (Republican) brought the southern white racist voter over to the Republican Party in a deliberate strategy. Where they have been ever since. 
    AI_lias
  • Reply 17 of 26
    IMHO, I think this is an example of how tired he was of continuously making Apple products and wanted to do something different after decades of being responsible for any success or failure from Apple, design wise.  

I think it would be grueling to have to continuously create successful products both hardware and software, especially if you don’t have a Steve Jobs around to give you some honest criticism about your designs. 

Seems that you assume that most of actual Apple employees are dumb people. And etc.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    sdw2001 said:
    Alex_V said:
    sdw2001 said:

First, I wasn't aware that I owed you a book report on the "central questions of our time."  If you would like to discuss so-called climate change, its impacts and potential solutions, I'm happy to do that.  

Secondly, I notice it's become a fashionable deflection to scream "whataboutism!!!" when leftist hypocrisy is exposed.  Our elites (Chaaahhles, other royals, politicians, actors, billionaires, etc.) frequently fly all around the world and use massive gas-powered motorcades (like Biden's 85 vehicle one at COP) to lecture everyone on the dangers of fossil fuels, eating meat and dairy, driving cars and other activities that most of the planet does.  They crow on about an "emergency" while they are emitting more carbon than the average person could in years.  So yes, it's hypocrisy.  Utter hypocrisy.  And since they all have enough resources to overcome the expense and inconvenience of high fuel and food prices, home prices, blackouts, high taxes, and supply shortages, it's pure, arrogant elitism.  

Third, you clearly know precisely d*ck about conservatives.  In addition to ignoring the utter hypocrisy of someone like Prince F*cking Charles talking about "privilege," your view of "the conservative" is ignorant and two-dimensional.   I happen to be a conservative and believer in liberty.  I, too, have things like solar panels (which covers nearly 100% of my electric use) and an electric lawn mower.  I'm likely going to buy an electric vehicle within the next few years. My principles cause me to support things like low and simpler taxes, school choice, limited government, as well as gun and speech rights. They also cause me to support national infrastructure projects, our military and legal system, police and fire, public parks and spaces, and sensible regulation of our capitalist system--including environmental regulation.  

Finally, I want to identify and hear about problems and crises so we can develop solutions that will improve our lives and planet. But that doesn't mean I'm going to listen to political whores who know little to nothing about science and often have their own agendas.  I'm not going to listen to media-created, phony characters like Greta Thunberg (who, now that she's 18, I'm allowed to call a twat).   I'm not going to listen Al Gore, who has been wrong about every single climate prediction since 1989.  No, thanks.  What I'll do instead is look at the actual data and draw conclusions about the scope of the problem, it's potential impacts, and potential solutions.  If you want to get into that, let me know.  Otherwise, good day.  
    Amazing how people with high consumption patterns can think of themselves as “environmentalists”. Do you like red meat and holidays on distant places also? Do you ever you or your family use public transport?
    Alex_V
  • Reply 19 of 26
    sdw2001 said:
    Alex_V said:
    sdw2001 said:

Amazing how people with high consumption patterns can think of themselves as “environmentalists”. Do you like red meat and holidays on distant places also? Do you ever you or your family use public transport?
    How are you can read that and think I’m claiming that I’m an environmentalist is beyond me.  You’ve clearly missed the point of the response. It was a caricature of conservatives I was objecting to, as well as the notion that anyone who doesn’t embrace people like prince Charles’ nonsense somehow hates nature.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 26
    sdw2001 said:

(Bla bla bla snip)

I won’t waste precious time debating established science with deniers. George Orwell was wrong, we didn’t end up with “big brother” feeding us a fabricated world of fiction. After all, sincere, truthful and scientific answers to our questions are at our fingertips on Wikipedia; journalists the world over report the truth as best they can etc. Instead, we’ve got thousands of “little brothers” like you on social media avidly spreading politically-inspired lies. 

I’ll summarise your awfully long paragraph describing yourself, thus: “I’m just another Republican voter.” It’s amusing how you have absorbed your political party’s orthodoxy into your personal value system. 

About “hypocrisy” and whataboutism: one cannot practice environmentalism in our disaster capitalist context. That is like walking East on a train that is travelling West. Without scientists and activists, there would be no awareness of the problems and issues. You attack the messenger to deflect from the message. Nothing new, every activist throughout history was insulted, spat on, assaulted, imprisoned, banished, murdered, executed etc. Still, you will be glad to hear that this week, an indigenous Amazonian girl who spoke about the environment crisis at the Cop26 meeting has received insults and death threats from Brazilian Bolsonaro supporters (conservatives like you). After all, she’s a hypocrite because she probably flew to Glasgow on an airplane. 

AI_lias