Apple, Drake and others face $750 million lawsuit over Astroworld deaths

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,770member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Lawyers will ruin America
    They always does, just look at who writes our laws, mostly lawyers or lawyers involved.
    Yeah!! We shouldn’t have lawyers be the ones to write the laws. We should get a few plumbers and doctors and architects and mechanics and a few other people with no knowledge of the law and have them do it instead. Brilliant insight. 
    edited November 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 23
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,081member
    NYC362 said:
    I certainly understand the cause for a lawsuit, but I cannot see how Apple, whose sole involvement was streaming the concert, could be held responsible for anything to do with the tragic incident that cost so many lives. 

Lawyers are just looking for the deepest pockets. 
    Were they just paid for the streaming service or were they joint producers of the event?

Yes, I know but were Live Nation the sole producers? In other words did Live Nation flat out pay a fee to Apple for the streaming service or was it arranged as a joint venture?

Apple did not get paid or provided any streaming service, for the event. Apple probably paid Astroworld producer for the rights to stream the event. Apple promoted the event as a free exclusive for Apple Music subscribers.  Apple had nothing to do with providing equipment and manpower to record the event. They just paid to have first rights to a live stream. Apple sponsored the event, much like how Coca Cola sponsors the US Olympic team. Coca Cola don't get paid for being a sponsor, they have to pay for the privilege of using the Olympic logo to sell their products. If Coca Cola had sponsor Astroworld, would they have anything to do with producing or running the event?  If anything, Apple paid the producer per stream on Apple Music. Much like how they paid other artist on a per stream basis. 

The event (Astroworld Fest) is an annual event (since 2018) put on by Travis Scott. Travis Scott is rapper and a record producer and he named the event after his most famous album, "Astroworld". He and his record label are the producers of the event.

LiveNation provided the ticket service for the event and thus they promoted it for the purpose of ticket sale. LiveNation got a percentage of the ticket sales. Much like TicketMaster. They had nothing to do with producing or running the event. The producer could have chosen TicketMaster to handle the promotion and ticket sales. 

Travis Scott was not a guest artist in this event. Is his event and he was responsible for putting on this event. The other artist performing were paid by Scott, to perform or did it for PR. Now Drake is also a big record producer and I would not be surprise if he had a hand in producing this event. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:
    sflocal said:
    "No amount of money will ever make these plaintiffs whole; no amount of money can restore human life,"...
    ... but since we're on the subject...
    You think a corporation would pay any heed to any punishment other than a punitive financial one?  Sure, make them apologise, that'll learn them.
    So do you support the charge against Apple? How were they ‘grossly negligent’ ? 
    I have no idea, I've no involvement or particular knowledge of the incident beyond the small bit of news I read about it and my support either way would be pretty meaningless, so why bother.

Some people around here feel it necessary to boost their cred by loudly supporting Apple in every legal dispute they're involved in. I just like the stuff Apple makes.