Is the new 16-inch MacBook Pro a pro-only machine?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Stupid article, actually. Is the 14" MBP a "Pro" machine?

The above conversation seems to revolve around screen size, when, fundamentally, the 14" machines and the 16" machines are nearly identical in performance. Do you want/need a bigger screen? Yes? No? Fine. Do that.

The real question is whether or not people need to go M1 PRO or M1 MAX? Based on all of the benchmarks (and personal experience) only a few video / rendering types need the MAX.

And even though my machine is a 16" MAX 64GB, I'm now pretty sure that I could have bought a M1 PRO 32GB and not noticed any significant difference in performance or usability. (And saved $1,000 or so.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    DuhSesame said:
    You know, if you’re deciding whether you need a 16” Pro, then you don’t need one.
    Amen. It is one of these products I really, really want, but in the end I don’t need. If only I had an excuse… 😬
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    hmlongco said:
    Stupid article, actually. Is the 14" MBP a "Pro" machine?

The above conversation seems to revolve around screen size, when, fundamentally, the 14" machines and the 16" machines are nearly identical in performance. Do you want/need a bigger screen? Yes? No? Fine. Do that.

The real question is whether or not people need to go M1 PRO or M1 MAX? Based on all of the benchmarks (and personal experience) only a few video / rendering types need the MAX.

And even though my machine is a 16" MAX 64GB, I'm now pretty sure that I could have bought a M1 PRO 32GB and not noticed any significant difference in performance or usability. (And saved $1,000 or so.)
    Pricing reflects that the difference between the 2 size models at any configuration is US$200
    The only difference is the low-end model where the 14 has an 8 core to get a price point under US$2000
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Is new the MBP 16 a "pro only" computer? Hard to know what this question even means. Is the race track ready Ford GT only for "pro drivers?" No, anyone with $500,000 to spend is welcome to buy one. (Although I think there's a waiting list, lol... seriously!) And so it is with the MBP 16 except for the wait list. If you have the money and enjoy the pleasure and bragging rights of owning fastest toys, I assure you that no one at the Apple store will check for your "pro" ID before they'll sell it to you. 

The more interesting question is this: considering that the days of a "prosumer" spending a couple hundred more for a base MBP vs an MBA are now behind us--and that the cheapest base price for the new MBP 14 is $2K, and it goes up, way up from there--do the new MBPs make sense, in terms of bulkiness/weight but especially price, for anyone other than professionals who really need the ports, horsepower and/or 16" screen? I'd have to say no, even for a "prosumer" like myself, considering how crazy good the current M1 MBA is, and soon to be bettered across the board, I"m sure, by the next gen MBA in '22. I'm no stranger to a "I just want it" kind of purchase, and I've made more than a few with Apple products, in particular, but I just can't remotely justify the price point of the new MBPs when I know that the work I'd do on it would never benefit from its features of capabilities. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    ... this has me thinking of the G3 pismo design with dual bays that could have empty, one, two or a cadre of spare batteries lined up for flexibility from light weight portable desktop to onsite extended play portable...

For technical work, presentations and perhaps aging eyesight the larger display may be key, and yet I still ask why the 16" didn't go the distance to a true 4K display width of 3840 vs 3456...?