Should I upgrade to OSX?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm running 9.2.2 now, and am only just learning it after finally upgrading from my ancient PB 520. Before I bother learning the ins and outs of 9, should I upgrade to X? I don't really NEED to - I use my iMac for writing, web browsing, iTunes, online bill paying...nothing terribly technical or complicated. But it sounds like sooner rather than later, 9 will be completely outdated even for these tasks.

Do I have the hardware to upgrade? I've got a 600MHz iMac with 384 RAM, CDRW, and 40GB hdard drive. Don't have a printer yet.

So do you think it would be worth it for me to go ahead an upgrade? Or should I stick with what I have for a year or two, and switch to X when I upgrade my hardware?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Hmm, that's a tough call. On the upgrade side, I'd say that for writing, web browsing, iTunes, and the like on your machine, OS X is a great OS, a good future-proof investment, and well worth it.

You'll also get to play with the latest (often free) gizmos freshly baked from Apple.

Make sure that as many of your apps can run in OS X natively as possible. (Web browsing - check, iTunes - check, writing - ?) OS 9 apps run in Classic fine, but Classic will slow down older machines some, and switching back and forth isn't the ideal user experience.

On the flip side, you should be aware that the next version of OS X is due to arrive in the next 6-8 months, and you won't get a discount for buying OS X now. If that's going to annoy you, and you're saving your pennies, you may want to hold off for a bit.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    You don't have a problem with your hardware. Right now I am running 10.2.4 on a 500 MHz iMac, 640 MB RAM (used to be 192) and it runs fine.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    I really don't think it's a tough call. Upgrade now. Never look back. It's that easy.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

I really don't think it's a tough call. Upgrade now. Never look back. It's that easy.

I second that.

You should not have any problems with osX with that hardware. The only thing I would do was to install more RAM. You can never have to much ram with osX
  • Reply 5 of 23
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    If you have enough hardware grunt (which you do), upgrade. X just feels more friendly than 9. It's a reason to buy a Mac over a Wintel.

Barto
  • Reply 6 of 23
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Henriok

Tritto
  • Reply 7 of 23
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BlueRabbit

You don't have a problem with your hardware. Right now I am running 10.2.4 on a 500 MHz iMac, 640 MB RAM (used to be 192) and it runs fine.

I agree but when you buy your copy of OS X make sure you have some cash for extra memory... While 384 might be okay (I'm not so sure)... if you bump it up past the 512MB mark you'll be in better shape.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 23
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Thanks everyone. Sounds like upgrading sooner rather than later is the way to go.

One more incredibly stupid question about the RAM, then: if I buy a, say, 512mb chip, does that replace or get added to the RAM I already have? In other words, would I end up with 512mb or 896mb?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

One more incredibly stupid question about the RAM, then: if I buy a, say, 512mb chip, does that replace or get added to the RAM I already have?

Your iMac can have 2 PC100 RAM-modules. Each can have a 512 MB module to a maximum of 1 GB. Since you have 384 MB total, you have one 128 MB and one 256 MB module. Sell or throw the smaller away. Buy a 512 MB module to a total of 768 MB.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    If I was you I wouldn't buy that RAM unless you're going to be doing more, 10.1 and 10.2 were fine on my iBook 500 with 384 RAM. Get OS X, don't wait. Safari is better for internet, and all the other new OS X only iApps are must haves too. ESPECIALLY if you use Microsoft apps get OS X. I can't remember many OS 9 crashes where IE wasn't open. Or AIM.. You won't miss crashing.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

I agree but when you buy your copy of OS X make sure you have some cash for extra memory... While 384 might be okay (I'm not so sure)... if you bump it up past the 512MB mark you'll be in better shape.

Dave

I ran 10.0 on a 400 MHz iMac w/320 MB of RAM, and it was kinda useable. 384 MB on a 600 Mhz machine w/10.2 will be no problem at all.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I agree, taking the X plunge now is the better course: why go to the trouble of learning a dead operating system which you already know you're going to jettison?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    If you've got $130 for 10.2 and $X for 10.3, then yeah, go for it now. If you want to maximize your money, wait and see what happens with WWDC in June when we get a timetable for 10.3's release.

Er... wait... wait three months to find out when 10.3 is coming out, then wait until... oh heck, just upgrade now.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

If you've got $130 for 10.2 and $X for 10.3, then yeah, go for it now. If you want to maximize your money, wait and see what happens with WWDC in June when we get a timetable for 10.3's release.

Er... wait... wait three months to find out when 10.3 is coming out, then wait until... oh heck, just upgrade now.

LOL Kick, that was what I was thinking too. I would like to optimize my spending here, obviously, but if there's going to be one update after another, I may as well take the plunge fairly soon.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    The answer is yes.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

LOL Kick, that was what I was thinking too. I would like to optimize my spending here, obviously, but if there's going to be one update after another, I may as well take the plunge fairly soon.

If it's in your budget, it's definitely worth it.

I think you can get Jaguar from Amazon for a little under $100 right now.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    You want X.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you have a friend in a university, then perhaps you could ask him to purchase it for you with his educational discount. Educational customers pay only $69 for OS X.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Aha. I actually work for a small university. I'll investigate that, thanks.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Jump! Dooooo it...