Tested: MagSafe charging speed versus Qi, USB-C, and USB-A

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,007member
    doggone said:
    fred1 said:
    I’m glad to have this information. Personally I don’t see the benefit of wireless charging except for MagSafe backup batteries. If you use a charging pad, you can’t pick up the phone to use it without the charging stopping. And why use a MagSafe wired charger when you can plug in a charger? Again, just my view. 
    I have to disagree.  Using a wireless charger at night is ideal since you don't have to fuss with a cable to pick it up and put it back to charge. I generally never have to worry about battery life during the average day but my car has a Qi charger built in which makes it convenient when needing to top up a charge when traveling and using bluetooth for music. Wireless charging is far more convenient IMHO.  
    No, wireless charging is most definitely not the way to go at night. One bump and the charging coils are misaligned enough that the phone won’t charge and you don’t find out until you wake up to a dead phone (or worse, it shuts off and your alarm doesn’t go off.) wired charging is far more reliable.

my son gave me his old Qi charger. I tried it for a couple of weeks and twice in that time if failed to charge. It vibrated and lit up like it was going to charge when I first put it on but then decided it didn’t like the positioning and quit charging. Thankfully I had enough charge so my alarm still went off but that was enough to convince me to chuck the qi charger and use a cord. 
  • Reply 22 of 25
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,139member
    darbus69 said:
    Intelligent charging?
    Most people charge at night, and power users carry a battery pack, so really, how much does this matter??? Though this kind of reporting is useful it’s also meant to drive spending within the community. Apple loves this kind of “advertising” because it certainly drives sales of high margin accessories…
    Did you take a survey or just pull this out of your hole?
  • Reply 23 of 25
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,139member
    MplsP said:
    doggone said:
    fred1 said:
    I’m glad to have this information. Personally I don’t see the benefit of wireless charging except for MagSafe backup batteries. If you use a charging pad, you can’t pick up the phone to use it without the charging stopping. And why use a MagSafe wired charger when you can plug in a charger? Again, just my view. 
    I have to disagree.  Using a wireless charger at night is ideal since you don't have to fuss with a cable to pick it up and put it back to charge. I generally never have to worry about battery life during the average day but my car has a Qi charger built in which makes it convenient when needing to top up a charge when traveling and using bluetooth for music. Wireless charging is far more convenient IMHO.  
    No, wireless charging is most definitely not the way to go at night. One bump and the charging coils are misaligned enough that the phone won’t charge and you don’t find out until you wake up to a dead phone (or worse, it shuts off and your alarm doesn’t go off.) wired charging is far more reliable.

my son gave me his old Qi charger. I tried it for a couple of weeks and twice in that time if failed to charge. It vibrated and lit up like it was going to charge when I first put it on but then decided it didn’t like the positioning and quit charging. Thankfully I had enough charge so my alarm still went off but that was enough to convince me to chuck the qi charger and use a cord. 
    What???  The strength of the magnet on a MagSafe charger can hold the weight of half a dozen iPhones.  
  • Reply 24 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,007member
    flydog said:
    MplsP said:
    doggone said:
    fred1 said:

What???  The strength of the magnet on a MagSafe charger can hold the weight of half a dozen iPhones.  
    Not if your phone doesn’t have magsafe
  • Reply 25 of 25
    It is obvious from the data that all chargers limit the charging speed after it reaches 95% to trickle charging. Above 95% the charging speed is the same for all chargers. Below 95% it appears that fast charging generates too much heat so the charging rate is reduced. This is not the case for 5 watt charger as it generates the lowest amount of heat.