Even if the NSO Group shuts down, it won't stop paid iPhone attacks

Posted:
in General Discussion
Security researchers have discovered a new type of sophisticated iPhone spyware, signaling that Apple's devices are still threatened even if NSO Group shuts down its surveillance tools.

Even if the NSO Group shuts down, that won't stop paid iPhone attacks
Even if the NSO Group shuts down, that won't stop paid iPhone attacks

Researchers at the Citizen Lab on Thursday published new findings on a spyware tool dubbed Predator. The tool is built and sold by little-known mercenary surveillance company Cytrox.

The team found the spyware on the smartphones of two Egyptians -- an exiled politician and a news program host. The iPhone of the politicians phone, Ayman Nour, was compromised both by Predator and NSO Group's Pegasus -- and each was apparently operated by different government clients.

Both of the victims were attacked with the Predator spyware in June 2021. Citizen Lab indicates that the spyware made it onto a target iPhone through single-click links send via WhatsApp. They were able to infect iPhone models running iOS 14.6, which was the latest version of the software at the time.

Nour only became suspicious that his device was compromised when he noticed that it was "running hot." Citizen Lab then analyzed the device and reviewed logs from his phone. The security researchers believe that the attacks originated from the Egyptian government.

Cytrox is part of the so-called "Intellexa alliance," which is a network of mercenary spyware vendors that emerged in 2019. Although originally based in Cyprus, recent reports indicate that Intellexa now operates in Greece.

Spyware targeting iPhone devices is becoming spotlighted in the public eye after controversy surrounding a surveillance product made by Israeli company NSO Group.

The NSO Group-developed Pegasus spyware has been used by government actors to target political dissidents, activists, and journalists -- and members of the U.S. State Department. Security researchers at Google's Project Zero in December suggested that NSO Group's surveillance capabilities rival those of nation-states.

Apple sued NSO Group in November in an attempt to hold the company accountable for its surveillance of iPhone users. The company is reportedly mulling shutting down its Pegasus spyware because of the financial and legal pressure.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So AppleInsider and every other tech blog never makes it clear... should we all get rid of our iPhones and buy Android to be safe? Should journalists and political activists switch to Android instead? 

Is it safer to use Android rather than iOS now? Do we have any reports of targeted individuals who were using an Android phone when they were hack into?

I’m only half-way  sarcastic because all we hear about is iOS being compromised, nothing about Android. 
    edited December 2021 mwhitewatto_cobraAlex_VDetnatorbyronljony0
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    lkrupp said:
    So AppleInsider and every other tech blog never makes it clear... should we all get rid of our iPhones and buy Android to be safe? Should journalists and political activists switch to Android instead? 

Is it safer to use Android rather than iOS now? Do we have any reports of targeted individuals who were using an Android phone when they were hack into?

I’m only half-way  sarcastic because all we hear about is iOS being compromised, nothing about Android. 
    I don’t think AI is trying to push a narrative.  I’m fascinated by the news coming out about this.  Companies are putting serious effort into exploiting iPhones,

The reason there’s no news about Android spyware is because it’s a given that its security model is a joke.  

Unlike Android, at least Apple is in a better position to tackle this whack-a-mole situation.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraAlex_VJaiOh81GeorgeBMacericthehalfbeecornchipjony0
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lkrupp said:

You are reading on AI, since when they tell people to buy android?
    williamlondonwatto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Not to sound cynical, but you can probably say that the "health" of the iPhone cracking industry is inversely proportional the the level of public pressure that law enforcement, state level surveillance, and espionage organizations are exerting against Apple to open up a backdoor into the iPhone's "secure" communication subsystems. If those who seek to access the supposedly secure attributes of the iPhone were not able to do so with regularity, we'd be hearing about it loud and clear. It's kind of like countries spying on each other, it's always going on, it's tolerated to a certain degree because it serves a purpose, but until it becomes too egregious or radically unbalanced, nobody is going to really talk about it in public. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:

Why would an Apple news blog report Android compromises?

Try getting your tech news from other places.
    MplsPviclauyycmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sflocal said:
    lkrupp said:

I don’t think AI is trying to push a narrative.  I’m fascinated by the news coming out about this.  Companies are putting serious effort into exploiting iPhones,

The reason there’s no news about Android spyware is because it’s a given that its security model is a joke.
    NSO reportedly had more difficulty with accessing more recent Android phones than they did iPhones. The security model of each platform is far more comparable than you suggest, as you'll realize if you spend a bit of time reading rather than assuming. But no one on this board should have any concerns about being important enough for some agency to spend $1000's, perhaps $10 of thousands on as a target from what I know of our membership.  We're all safe from the likes of NSO. 
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 218member
    gatorguy said:
    NSO reportedly had more difficulty with accessing more recent Android phones than they did iPhones. The security model of each platform is far more comparable than you suggest, as you'll realize if you spend a bit of time reading rather than assuming. But no one on this board should have any concerns about being important enough for some agency to spend $1000's, perhaps $10 of thousands on as a target from what I know of our membership.  We're all safe from the likes of NSO. 

That’s a bit like saying: “The invading army on the other side of the hill, probably don’t want you dead. They’ve got bigger fish to fry.” It just isn’t comforting at all. When governments and other actors spy on, imprison, harass, or murder… political opponents, democracy campaigners, civil rights activists, environmentalists, anywhere in the world, it affects all of us. We should all, at least, voice our opposition, or better, take up arms against the opposing army. 
    JaiOh81williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Alex_V said:
    gatorguy said:
     When governments and other actors spy on, imprison, harass, or murder…  it affects all of us. We should all, at least, voice our opposition, or better, take up arms against the opposing army. 
    You just described us, the U.S. ....  (Except you left out "torture").

Those who live in glass houses need to be careful of throwing things.
    By the way, how many Afghan kids are starving because: first we created the catastrophe and now won't let their country have their own money?

edited December 2021 cornchipmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 13
    lkrupp said:

They don't even report when Android or Windows are infected.
    Even in major ransomware cases they seldom even name the brand anymore.

But, let an Apple product get infected....  A P P L E !
  • Reply 10 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    lkrupp said:

"Most media reports on Pegasus relate to the compromise of Apple devices. The spyware infects Android devices too, but isn’t as effective as it relies on a rooting technique that isn’t 100% reliable."
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

"Most media reports on Pegasus relate to the compromise of Apple devices. The spyware infects Android devices too, but isn’t as effective as it relies on a rooting technique that isn’t 100% reliable."
    Still the liar, as always. Curious why you’d link an almost 5 year old article and then make a conclusion about iOS vs Android and the effectiveness of “Pegasus” against each.

You are aware, I’m sure, that Pegasus is a generic name for their tools, and doesn’t actually refer to a specific type of exploit, right? So then why do you need to lie by attributing a 5 year old quote to the current ability of Pegasus against iOS or Android?

From the Project Zero article:

”We are aware that NSO sells similar zero-click capabilities which target Android devices; Project Zero does not have samples of these exploits but if you do, please reach out.”

Look at that. Google has not had an Android device to test and see how Pegasus new zero-click exploit works on Android. Because of this it’s IMPOSSIBLE to make a claim that it’s less effective on Android vs iOS. Which makes your statements a straight up 100% lie. Which makes you a liar. The worst kind of liar (one who knows exactly what they’re doing with intent to device.
    edited December 2021 hammeroftruth
  • Reply 12 of 13

spyware made it onto a target iPhone through single-click links send via WhatsApp.

To a large degree, social engineering is necessary. 

Yes, you can make vehicles safer, lower speed limits, better design intersections.
    But if i step off the sidewalk with my head down & attention locked elsewhere... 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sandor said:

spyware made it onto a target iPhone through single-click links send via WhatsApp.

To a large degree, social engineering is necessary. 

Yes, you can make vehicles safer, lower speed limits, better design intersections.
    But if i step off the sidewalk with my head down & attention locked elsewhere... 

It's not either/or but a system.
    With cars equipped with pedestrian warnings & auto stop, lower speed limits and better designed intersections, a simple mistake is less likely to be deadly.

It's a matter of reducing risk even if it cannot be eliminated.
    It's the same idea behind wearing a mask while in crowded, in door settings -- you reduce the risk to yourself as well as to others.