Bob Iger says Apple & Disney would have merged if Steve Jobs was alive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,073member
    Xed said:
    rob53 said:
    Not sure this would have helped Apple at all. This would have made Apple an entertainment company, subject to all sorts of other rules and restrictions. Steve owned Pixar but it wasn't part of Apple. I'm happy Apple didn't merge with Disney because I don't think Disney really has anything to offer Apple. Apple is a computer company and much more but having Disney dictate what Apple could work on would mean we wouldn't have the M1 or anything close to it. In fact, I don't think the Apple portion would even be around anymore.
    They wouldn't be one and same, just as Apple+ content creation is now "subject to all sorts of other rules and restrictions" while Apple still designs their own silicon. I certainly say what Steve Jobs would've done a decade later (he probably couldn't either), but him selling Pixar to Disney and being on the board certainly looks to me like he was moving Apple in a direction to acquire Disney.
    That's probably reading too much into things. In 2006, when Disney acquired Pixar, Disney and Apple's market cap was roughly equal. The iTunes store was three years old at the time, putting Apple in the music distribution business, but nowhere near content creation. The original iPhone didn't come out until mid-2007.  It's a bit bold to suggest that Jobs was plotting to acquire Disney at that time. 
    radarthekatronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    I agree that owning media and controlling how media is accessed by users are different things. Disney is focussed on the first, and Apple is focussed on the second. However I can see how Disney might try to equal and beat Apple at the second (using its lead of the first.) Therefore I consider Disney to be one of Apple's biggest threats going forward.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    XedXed Posts: 2,677member
    AppleZulu said:
    Xed said:
    rob53 said:
    Not sure this would have helped Apple at all. This would have made Apple an entertainment company, subject to all sorts of other rules and restrictions. Steve owned Pixar but it wasn't part of Apple. I'm happy Apple didn't merge with Disney because I don't think Disney really has anything to offer Apple. Apple is a computer company and much more but having Disney dictate what Apple could work on would mean we wouldn't have the M1 or anything close to it. In fact, I don't think the Apple portion would even be around anymore.
    They wouldn't be one and same, just as Apple+ content creation is now "subject to all sorts of other rules and restrictions" while Apple still designs their own silicon. I certainly say what Steve Jobs would've done a decade later (he probably couldn't either), but him selling Pixar to Disney and being on the board certainly looks to me like he was moving Apple in a direction to acquire Disney.
    That's probably reading too much into things. In 2006, when Disney acquired Pixar, Disney and Apple's market cap was roughly equal. The iTunes store was three years old at the time, putting Apple in the music distribution business, but nowhere near content creation. The original iPhone didn't come out until mid-2007.  It's a bit bold to suggest that Jobs was plotting to acquire Disney at that time. 
    Huh? You think a decade ago was 2006? What does the iTuens Store have to do with anything I wrote? Yes, it is a bit bold, but Jobs was nothing if not bold. Jobs and Disney have a long past, regardless of what you think music distribution has to do with anything.
    Beats
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Glad it never happened. Seeing what's available on AppleTV+ makes me shudder to think what would have happened to the entire MCU that Disney was able to build. The MCU is thee cinematic experience that my family has thoroughly enjoyed for over a decade. Something my children and I have grown up to appreciate together since they were born. We were actually saddened at the end of Avengers End Game as we thought it was over. Then the latest Spider-Man came out and we were all beyond hyped to keep it going.

No Apple product has brought us together like that.
    You honestly thought the they were going to turn the money machine off? No, Marvel and Star Wars will be squeezed out until they stop generating revenue, which is likely never.

As for for expecting Apple products which are primarily tools, to bring you together with watching super hero movies with your kids…I dunno that’s kind of a weird comparison. How are other tool companies comparing? Stanley, Black & Decker, John Deere, etc…
    williamlondonbestkeptsecretBeats
  • Reply 25 of 44
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,893member
    So many experts claiming they know more than anyone, including Apple's own management, what would be best for Apple.

Somedays it gets really tiresome having to watch out for and read past these legends in their own minds.
    edited December 2021 williamlondongeorgie01
  • Reply 26 of 44
    I don't think that would have ever happened (does anybody with the slightest clue about Apple really think it never occurred to Jobs to consider whether Apple should buy Disney??? That it didn't happen says it all), but it sure makes a lot more sense than Apple buying Tesla, bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 27 of 44
    It took a while, but Apple IS now a media company. The only problem is they don’t have much worthwhile media. If they owned Disney, they’d be the biggest thing in media. 

Theme parks would actually be a great fit. Apple museums within and creative education with macs and iOS as part of it. Kids would grow up loving Apple. They’d take over the computing market in one generation. 

Apple and Disney values are very aligned. It should still happen 

but it would be Apple owning Disney. Not the other way around. 
    williamlondonqwerty52Beats
  • Reply 28 of 44
    But, should they have merged? I don't think so. It would have diminished both companies. The two are worth more and are better companies as separate entities.
    radarthekatronn
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Xed said:
    rob53 said:
    Huh? You think a decade ago was 2006? What does the iTuens Store have to do with anything I wrote? Yes, it is a bit bold, but Jobs was nothing if not bold. Jobs and Disney have a long past, regardless of what you think music distribution has to do with anything.
    "[Jobs] selling Pixar to Disney and being on the board certainly looks to me like he was moving Apple in a direction to acquire Disney."

Jobs sold Pixar to Disney in 2006, so that's the reference point for your suggestion that at the time, "he was moving Apple in a direction to acquire Disney." That's also the time when those other things I mentioned happened. I mentioned those things to provide the context for what existed in Jobs' world at that time. In 2006. He was bold as all get-out, but it wouldn't make much sense to think at that time that he was implementing a plan to acquire Disney. 
    radarthekatronn
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Merged? Well…. Taken over would be better phrased…. Maybe in a stock deal… so DIS would become a division of AAPL…. Cook still needs more content for Apple… so a „merger“ could still be possible… but, yes, Steve owned around 20% of DIS, so a „merger“ would have been taxwise a reasonable takeover option…. And it still is!
  • Reply 31 of 44
    XedXed Posts: 2,677member
    AppleZulu said:
    Xed said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Xed said:
    rob53 said:
    "[Jobs] selling Pixar to Disney and being on the board certainly looks to me like he was moving Apple in a direction to acquire Disney."

Jobs sold Pixar to Disney in 2006, so that's the reference point for your suggestion that at the time, "he was moving Apple in a direction to acquire Disney." That's also the time when those other things I mentioned happened. I mentioned those things to provide the context for what existed in Jobs' world at that time. In 2006. He was bold as all get-out, but it wouldn't make much sense to think at that time that he was implementing a plan to acquire Disney. 
    Large moves take time or did you think that Jobs becoming a member of Disney's board and the largest shareholder of the company was so he could get free rides at Disney Land? Either you or Bob Iger is wrong about Jobs was planning for Apple. I'm certainly more inline with Iger in that Jobs' longterm plan was to work with making Disney more a part of Apple than just being competitors. Over the years Jobs also has made many mentions about how he likes how Disney operates, if you care to look them up.
    williamlondonBeats
  • Reply 32 of 44
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,008member
    He's flattering himself 
    ronn
  • Reply 33 of 44
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,836member
    You think Apple has antitrust issues and questions now. Apple and Disney as one humongous mega corporation into computers, phones, movies, tv, and everything else the two are in? The hammer would have fallen a while ago. It would not have been pretty. Far better that this fantasy of Iger’s never happened. 
    edited December 2021 ronnbaconstang
  • Reply 34 of 44
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,867moderator
    Japhey said:
    “If Steve were alive”, he would be Prime Minister of Planet Earth and we would have colonies on Mars already. 

These “If Steve were alive” ballads are really starting to wear thin, imo. The guy is gone, and that really sucks for all of us. I often wonder what he would be like today, approaching his 70s. Would he be the wise old sage that everyone turned to for advice and insight the way they do with Bill Gates? Maybe he would have worn out his welcome and burned too many bridges, or possibly he would have evolved to be awkward and uncomfortable, like Woz has always been. Or, maybe he would have simply retired to a life of anonymity, never to be heard from again. Anyone who knows anything at all about Jobs knows that any of these possibilities could have played out. We just don’t know, and in the end, it just becomes speculative nonsense to even pretend. People really don’t do this with anyone else, this assigning of posthumous fictional intention and success, and I really wish they would stop appropriating the memory of Jobs to do it to him. Can we all just respect and celebrate the guy for who he was, and not for what he “might have” done? Ugh. 
    Actually, I think that channeling Steve is how people celebrate him.  Oh, and I fixed your comment regarding Woz.  
  • Reply 35 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    merkc said:
    Merged? Well…. Taken over would be better phrased…. Maybe in a stock deal… so DIS would become a division of AAPL…. Cook still needs more content for Apple… so a „merger“ could still be possible… but, yes, Steve owned around 20% of DIS, so a „merger“ would have been taxwise a reasonable takeover option…. And it still is!
    You think Steve would have donated his 20% share of Disney to Apple?  He cared about the company for sure, but Steve != Apple, taxwise or otherwise.
    ronn
  • Reply 36 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    narwhal said:
    I wonder if Steve might have considered taking Apple private 
    He could consider it until he was blue in the face, but Steve did not have access to the kind of funds required to do that.
    ronn
  • Reply 37 of 44
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,273member
     Kids would grow up loving Apple. 
    They already do. Apple doesn’t need Disney. 
    ronn
  • Reply 38 of 44
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,008member
    In the article heading photo, on my iPhone (small screen), Iger in profile looks a little like Anthony Weiner 
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 39 of 44
    It’s just the typical businessperson assuming bigger is better.

In reality, homogeny is usually bad. It’s one thing to purchase another smaller company who does something directly related very excellently (or who have directly related valuable resources) to benefit your own companies’ pursuits. But the acquisition or merger of companies just to get ‘more’ and ‘grow’ will almost always hurt both companies.

It’s like the dream many elites have for a singular world government, or even a unified Europe. It should be becoming increasingly obvious to many in the US that we probably shouldn’t have even unified the states more than was originally intended. We need more cultural variety and room for growth in different ways.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Glad it never happened. Seeing what's available on AppleTV+ makes me shudder to think what would have happened to the entire MCU that Disney was able to build. The MCU is thee cinematic experience that my family has thoroughly enjoyed for over a decade. Something my children and I have grown up to appreciate together since they were born. We were actually saddened at the end of Avengers End Game as we thought it was over. Then the latest Spider-Man came out and we were all beyond hyped to keep it going.

No Apple product has brought us together like that.
    The MCU is a Marvel product paid for by Disney. Kevin Feige was hired as a producer by Marvel in 2000. He had the idea and vision for the Avengers and a shared universe in the early 2000's. He was named president of Marvel Studios in 2007. Disney bought Marvel in 2009. Kevin Feige and Marvel would have been able to build the same universe using Apple's extremely deep pockets, just like they did with Disney. The MCU is a Marvel creation... since Iron man in 2009 I have been thankful that someone had the vision and special effects needed to be able to bring all of the cool shit I grew up reading during the late bronze and modern age of Marvel comics to the big screen... the right way.  B)
    edited December 2021 ronnBeats