Bob Iger says Apple & Disney would have merged if Steve Jobs was alive

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,633member
    rob53 said:
    Not sure this would have helped Apple at all. This would have made Apple an entertainment company, subject to all sorts of other rules and restrictions. Steve owned Pixar but it wasn't part of Apple. I'm happy Apple didn't merge with Disney because I don't think Disney really has anything to offer Apple. Apple is a computer company and much more but having Disney dictate what Apple could work on would mean we wouldn't have the M1 or anything close to it. In fact, I don't think the Apple portion would even be around anymore.
    Even with Apple’s current lineup without Disney I’d like to see Apple spin off all their media stuff like Apple TV+ into a separate company, say Apple Studios, or whatever. It seems odd to me that we have forums like AppleInsider where next generation Apple Silicon and iPadOS is discussed at the same level of importance as Apple TV+ buying a film or contracting with some big name actor. I’m not picking on movie related stuff either, I feel the same way about Apple building a car. If Apple decides to build a car, spin off a new company or subsidiary that is totally focused on building cars. I’m simply not a fan of huge megacorp conglomerates that dabble in everything.  Look how that turned out for GE.
    chadbagbaconstangmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 44
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    The posts assuming Disney would be building the next iPhone while Apple staff takes a permanent vacation are as ridiculous as the people who thought Disney buying Marvel meant Mickey Mouse would make a starring role in the Marvel movies.

Also, I don’t understand why people think “Disney has nothing to offer”. I mean it’s not like Apple makes content streaming devices or devices with screens on them. Not like Apple doesn’t make content for those screens. /s
    lkrupp
  • Reply 43 of 44
    At least then the Disney app would be good...
    In the context of tvOS apps. It is very good.
    Xed
  • Reply 44 of 44
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    rob53 said:
    Not sure this would have helped Apple at all. This would have made Apple an entertainment company, subject to all sorts of other rules and restrictions. Steve owned Pixar but it wasn't part of Apple. I'm happy Apple didn't merge with Disney because I don't think Disney really has anything to offer Apple. Apple is a computer company and much more but having Disney dictate what Apple could work on would mean we wouldn't have the M1 or anything close to it. In fact, I don't think the Apple portion would even be around anymore.

Accurate.